Thread: Sydney Tafler

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Bit of a long shot but would anyone know if Sydney Tafler had any siblings? I was recently told a story about him having an Israeli born niece, who lived with him during the sixties, and later had a modeling career in the 1970s. Obviously for this story to be true Tafler would have had to have had a brother or a sister who lived in Tel Aviv at some point and had a daughter. Anyone able to confirm or deny this?

I don�t want to go into too much detail about this �niece�, in case I�ve been fed some information that turns out to be incorrect. Must stress, I�m not too sure about how credible my source for this info is.

Senior Member Country: UK Bond Fan's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not sure if he had any siblings or not - sorry I can't be of any help!

All I know about his background is that he was married to Joy Shelton and had 2 sons and 1 daughter.

Sydney Tafler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Flash
    Bit of a long shot but would anyone know if Sydney Tafler had any siblings? I was recently told a story about him having an Israeli born niece, who lived with him during the sixties, and later had a modeling career in the 1970s. Obviously for this story to be true Tafler would have had to have had a brother or a sister who lived in Tel Aviv at some point and had a daughter. Anyone able to confirm or deny this?

I don’t want to go into too much detail about this “niece”, in case I’ve been fed some information that turns out to be incorrect. Must stress, I’m not too sure about how credible my source for this info is.

His daughter Jennifer, born in 1946 appeared in a couple of films. Son Jonathan has been in many popular TV shows: The Bill, Maigret, Cadfael, Waking the Dead, Foyles War, Murphys Law, Doctors, and New Tricks.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    If you see this post, Mr. Flash, can you tell me if you found any more information about the mysterious niece? I know we both have an interest in models from that era and am just as curious. Do you have a name?

Sydney Tafler in 'The Sandwich Man' (1966)

Sydney plays a fish porter at Billingsgate Market and is first seen making a deal with carpet seller Roger Delgado:

"As we are allies, �50. I'm giving it away!" (they eventually agree on 30)

During a chat with Frank Finlay, one of his colleagues at the Fish Market:

Much to his amusement, customer Tracey Crisp angrily throws fish at Frank, who has accidentally sliced her handbag:

With Michael Bentine as The Sandwich Man. This appears to be the only time these actors appeared together on screen.

It's always a great pleasure to see Sydney. To date, my favourite performances of his are Mr. Goldberg in the film version of Harold Pinter's The Birthday Party and an episode of Thriller called Nightmare for a Nightingale. He was a villain in both of them, although it doesn't appear that way at first! I have the latter on DVD but not watched The Birthday Party since 1986, when it was shown on Channel 4. Now that I've found out it's available for only �3.97 I know it won't be long before I see it again. That's fantastic.

I also remember him as the lorry driver in Alfie who gives lost 'Northerner' Jane Asher a lift but is later annoyed when Michael Caine steals her from him with his Cockney charm, resulting in a memorable fight at the pub. And he was Barry Foster's boss in a few episodes of Van Der Valk. A few weeks ago, I watched his episode of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em again, as Entertainment manager in a holiday camp.

Sydney first came to my attention towards the end of his life. He was one of the celebrities and high-profile figures (including Leonard Cheshire I think) who would read something to viewers for about five minutes just before ITV closed down for the night. This is where I first noticed fellow actors Robert Rietty and Barbara Leigh-Hunt as well.

When I learned of Sydney Tafler's death, I was truly devastated. He was someone I grew to like over just a few days, then all of a sudden he was gone. I was 14 at the time. Can't really recall him fading from memory over the next few years but ever since those 1986 transmissions of Alfie and The Birthday Party he's been an established - and very welcome - presence on TV and now DVD.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 15-07-12 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Improved poor writing.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Dean Williams's Avatar
    Liked
    16 times
    Tafler had three sisters. Their parents were Mark Tafler and Eva (nee Kosky).

SYDNEY'S SISTERS:
    Sylvia Tafler (1921-1988) who married Eric Sosnow and had two chidlren.

Sheila June Aza (nee Tafler) (1924-2006) whose son was actor-turned-editor Graham Aza and daughter was actress-turned-journalist Gillian (1954-2010) who are Tafler's nephew and niece. She married Morris Aza in 1947. Gillian married Peter Gore and died in 2010 of breast cancer. She was living in London in the 60s when she met Peter.

Hylda Tafler (died 2005) who married director Lewis Gilbert and had one son, John Gilbert.

Don't know if Sheila, Sylvia or Hylda lived in Israel at one point (Sheila died in London). As they are a Jewish family it is possible.

Their Father Mark remarried a woman named Sarah and had six further children with her (Alfie, Hetty, Jacky, Lillian, Louis & Reggie Tafler), all half-siblings of Sydney and the girls who could also be in the running but Gillian Gore is the most likely candidate?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...-gore-obituary

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Thanks for your research, Dean. I may have come across that information before about Sydney being related to Lewis Gilbert, possibly in an interview with the director. Very sorry to read about Gillian Gore's death. Belated condolences to her family and friends.

Joint Ventures

Remembering that Lewis Gilbert, of course, directed the aforementioned Alfie, I thought I'd see what other credits he has in common with his brother-in-law. It turns out there are 16 altogether! The others are The Little Ballerina; Once a Sinner; Scarlet Thread, Emergency Call; Time Gentlemen, Please!; Johnny on the Run; The Sea Shall Not Have Them; Reach for the Sky; Carve Her Name with Pride; Sink the Bismarck!; Light Up the Sky!; The 7th Dawn; The Adventurers and The Spy Who Loved Me, along with a 'Making Of' documentary for the Bond film.

I wonder what their favourite was among those? I watched Time Gentlemen, Please! on DVD last year.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Dean Williams's Avatar
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    Remembering that Lewis Gilbert, of course, directed the aforementioned Alfie, I thought I'd see what other credits he has in common with his brother-in-law. It turns out there are 16 altogether! The others are The Little Ballerina; Once a Sinner; Scarlet Thread, Emergency Call; Time Gentlemen, Please!; Johnny on the Run; The Sea Shall Not Have Them; Reach for the Sky; Carve Her Name with Pride; Sink the Bismarck!; Light Up the Sky!; The 7th Dawn; The Adventurers and The Spy Who Loved Me, along with a 'Making Of' documentary for the Bond film.
    It's not what you know, it's who you know! :)

Sydney Tafler is another of those familiar faces that it's always nice to see pop up in films and TV. I most recently watched him when going through the recent Citizen James DVD release but he crops up in a lot of 50s B Movies I enjoy. Tafler, Ronald Shiner and George Cole being the epitome of Cockney wideboys of the era.

I remember he turned up in an episode of Some Mother's Do 'Ave 'Em too, the episode where Frank goes for an audition at a holiday camp with Marvin the ventriloquist doll.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    A TV Times article about Sydney Tafler from the July 24th - 30th 1971 issue of TV Times.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Daily Mirror, August 19th 1971 - Syd has to turn fiddler.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    Fascinating stuff...thanks