Liked
    80 times
    The Canadian character actor has died at the age of 95. Lou's films included Irma La Douce and My Favorite Year.

E.

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    RIP Lou.

Interestingly, Lou was offered the part of Moustache in Irma La Douce after Charles Laughton died. Having seen CL in Witness for the Prosecution, Billy Wilder wanted him to play the part but he died before filming began. (Coincidentally, Wilder was also denied Marilyn Monroe, when she died, replacing her with Shirley MacLaine).

Liked
    80 times
    Of course some of Lou's earliest screen appearances were in British films such as A Kid for Two Farthings and Charley Moon.

E.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfWlHFEVLY]YouTube - Little Murders - Judge[/ame]

Jacobi starred in several Broadway hit plays including Woody Allen's Don't Drink the Water and Neil Simon's The Sunshine Boys.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    RIP Mr. Jacobi. I remember him from Chu Chu and the Philly Flash, The Diary of Anne Frank, and tv appearances like That Girl and The Man from UNCLE.

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Sad news he gave a hilarious performance in Woody Allen's Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Sex...

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Yes, very sad news. I was going to mention that Woody Allen film, Harbottle! Very memorable as a cross-dresser. But it's as Moustache that I remember him best. He had some wonderful scenes with Jack Lemmon .... "but that's another story"!

Thanks to Will for that brilliant clip from Little Murders, a film I've never had a chance to see. The links at the bottom of that video indicate the whole film is available at YouTube, which I'm delighted about. Elliott Gould looks very young there - he got to speak at the end! If I do get round to watching this movie, it will be great to see Elizabeth Wilson again (Dustin Hoffman's mother in The Graduate) and of course the great Alan Arkin, who also directed.

Lou was also in a bizarre version of Dad's Army called The Rear Guard (1976). From what I can gather, this was an untransmitted pilot with Lou's role loosely-based on John Le Mesurier's 'Sgt. Wilson' character.

Lou Jacobi

As Moustache in Irma La Douce (1963)

Credit to Wearysloth

Member Country: New Zealand
    Liked
    0 times
    Cornershop, The Rear Guard was transmited by ABC-TV in August 1976, a year after it was filmed in Hollywood. The script was apadted from the popular episode The Deadly Attachment, and Jimmy Perry and Davd Croft were flown by ABC to Hollywood to make the US version. However they brought in Arthur Julian to Americanise the script and just about killed it. The pilot was a flop, and the whole thing was canned. Subsequently ABC-TV dumped the footage and it was considered lost for many years, much to the dismay of Perry and Croft who'd tried to get a copy for their archives. When I was running the Dad's Army Appreciation Society New Zealand Branch I discovered the information that this long forgotten show had been made and so set about thrying to find out more. i traced a number of the actors including Lou Jacobi, Conrad Janis and Cliff Norton. Cliff contacted the director, Hal Cooper, who happened to have what was then the only known copy of the show in his private collection, which he'd had made for his own purposes. He kindly copied it for me, and I duplicated it for Jimmy Perry and David Croft. It has since been rescreened at Dad's Army events, etc. In fact I think it may even be a DVD extra now but not sure of that. It's worth a watch if only in a lessen to see how bad US-translations can be. It has some funny moments of its own but it's a mere shadow of the original.

Lou played the Sgt but that is as far as any similarity with Sgt Wilson lies. They made the Sgt the more loud and authoritative guy. Instead of the spiv Walker they had a Hollywood actor who was 4F (unft for military duty). There was a stupid boy, Henderson rather than Pike. The Sgt was Jewish, and the Captain was Italian. They combined the characters of Jones and Godfrey into one, played by Eddie Foy Jr. There was no Frazer equivalent. Instead of a Vicar there was a Catholic Priest, and no verger, just a caretaker Mr Muldoon. Oh and of course they wrote in a young busty blonde female, for no real reason other than that's what Hollywood does.

Cheers. RIP Lou

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Thank you for the information, Dave. So it's down to you that we have a chance to see this curiosity? That's fantastic! We should all be very grateful for the opportunity to watch it. I hope the original writers found some laughs in this comedy as Lou Jacobi (is) great fun to watch. I've always liked Jimmy Perry in interviews and was sad when his BBC series Turns came to an end.

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Very funny man indeed, also made quite a few comedy records. Always liked him. Gave a very good straight performance in The Diary of Anne Frank.

Lou Jacobi RIP