Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone,

this is my first post enquiry I hope someone can help.

I saw this film as a child at my saturday morning pictures at Brixton ABC South London, this would have been 1962-1965,black and white.

The plot as far as I can remember was set during the 2nd world war and involved three children with an armoured tank in the the desert.The tank was not full sized.

The tank had a pennant on top with a mouse logo.

That is all I can remember,I would love to know what it was called and whether it was possible to see it again.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    It sounds like the plot of a Children's Film Foundation picture, but a look through their list of films doesn't come up with any film containing such a scenario. I don't recognise it myself but someone here just may do.

Liked
    0 times
    This sounds rather like a strip in the 60s comic Jag called 'The Mouse Patrol,' featuring three kids in a stolen German tank in the North African Desert. I wonder if that late 60s strip was inspired by the film you're thinking of. They even had a pennant on top with a mouse logo!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    There was a very similar comic story in either a Beano or Dandy annual 1964/65 about some kids who had a small tank. I dimly recall that it was some kind of experimental German tank that they "captured" in the North African desert and had loads of adventures with. What they were doing there I just don't know.

Childhood memories can play tricks. For years I thought I had seen a CFF film called "The Blitz Kid" but it was a story in a Dandy annual !

Liked
    0 times
    Well, if anyone wants to check The Mouse Patrol, it can be read here:

The Full Strip - Comics UK May 1968 -

The similarities with scorpio333uk's description are striking. It's also a small 'honey tank' that the kids steal.

Liked
    98 times
    Maybe Scorpio saw the story in a comic that he's forgotten all about. Memory can play strange tricks on you if enough years go by. On a Sunday in March, 1959, when I was eleven, going on twelve, I went to my local ABC to see a CinemaScope / colour Western entitled Comanche, with Dana Andrews and I always remembered that in his big fight with the Indian chief at the end of the film, he kills the chief by laying on top of his back and pressing the chief's face into the sand, so that the chief suffocates.

A few years ago, when they ran the film on Channel 4, I was amazed to find that in the big fight scene at the end, Dana didn't kill the chief in that way at all. I thought that they must have made two versions and this wasn't the version I originally went to see in 1959.

However, a year or so ago, I won on eBay a DVD of another CinemaScope / colour Western entitled Oregon Passage with John Ericson, that I had originally seen in August, 1959, a few months after the Dana Andrews film and to my surprise, when I played it, there at the end was the scene of the hero suffocating the Indian chief by pressing his face down into the sand. I had completely forgotten about the ending of Oregon Passage and over the many decades since the 1950's, my memory had turned the ending of Oregon Passage into the ending of Comanche.

Liked
    0 times
    name='darrenburnfan']It sounds like the plot of a Children's Film Foundation picture, but a look through their list of films doesn't come up with any film containing such a scenario. I don't recognise it myself but someone here just may do.
    Thanks for the replies.Can you tell me where I can get the CFF listing you mentioned?

Cheers

Liked
    98 times

Liked
    0 times
    I remember a film back around 1950 that was shown at the odeon on saturday morning pictures at muswell hill north london. It was an on going film with a weekly episode. The only scene I can remember is one where a man is trapped in a room made of steel and the walls are closing in on him powered by some machinery and will crush him if he fails to escape. The next episode shows him using a table leg (from the crushed table that was in there with him) to jam between the walls thus saving himself from certain death. Any ideas?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='james260243']I remember a film back around 1950 that was shown at the odeon on saturday morning pictures at muswell hill north london. It was an on going film with a weekly episode. The only scene I can remember is one where a man is trapped in a room made of steel and the walls are closing in on him powered by some machinery and will crush him if he fails to escape. The next episode shows him using a table leg (from the crushed table that was in there with him) to jam between the walls thus saving himself from certain death. Any ideas?
    It sounds like a typical 1950s serial and could be many people, like Bulldog Drummond.

At the end of one week you'd see him with the walls closing in to crush him. Then at the start of the next week's episode he'd manage to escape the "cliff hanger". Usually through a combination of luck, skill and cunning

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    More like 'Zorro's Fighting Legion' the greatest serial from Republic...the wall of death sequence still sticks in my mind! No wonder Lucas used it again in the original Star Wars.

You can get it on region 1 from VCl

Film Man.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Film Man']More like 'Zorro's Fighting Legion' the greatest serial from Republic...the wall of death sequence still sticks in my mind! No wonder Lucas used it again in the original Star Wars.

You can get it on region 1 from VCl

Film Man.

Could be ZFL ....

... but IIRC a similar sequence was used in another serial. Unfortunately I don't remember which one. ZFL is a top drawer serial, right up there with the best of them. The best IMHO is Spy Smasher.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    12 times
    Brilliant Batman!

Film Man.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']Could be ZFL ....

... but IIRC a similar sequence was used in another serial. Unfortunately I don't remember which one. ZFL is a top drawer serial, right up there with the best of them. The best IMHO is Spy Smasher.

Thanks for your help everyone, lots of research to do. I think though, it is more likely a suited person like Bulldog Drummond rather than Zorro who I don't remember at all. The Picture shows a brick wall, the one I remember was steel, can anyone narrow it down any further to an episode or particular film?

Senior Member Country: New Zealand
    Liked
    0 times
    Didn't one of the Dick Barton films have a scene like this?

BrianL

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    It's also used in Ace Drummond (1936) and he's not "in costume".