Thread: Roger Corman

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    The Anthology Film Archives in NYC are currently running a Roger Corman retrospective titled "Roger Corman: Poe and Beyond". In response this weeks Village Voice (NYC Weekly now free) has a nice article on Mr Corman "In Praise of the Schlock Genius" by Scott Foundas, I'm not sure if it can be found online, perhaps some of you might want to see. It was accompanied with a nice Vincent Price "Pit and Pendulum" still.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Cool! I love Corman's movies. Always fun to watch.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    name='torinfan']Cool! I love Corman's movies. Always fun to watch.

Me too. I particularly enjoy his 1950s and 60s films and especially his Edgar Allan Poe adaptations, such as House Of Usher, Pit & The Pendulum, Tales Of Terror and several others. Looking at his film credits on the IMDb certainly shows he's had a busy career.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I really admire some of Corman’s films, especially his Edgar Allen Poe adaptations The Fall of The House of Usher and The Masque of The Red Death… excellent examples of gothic horror produced on a small budget…

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    This is Corman's finest hour IMHO ....

link http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...der_corman.htm

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Fully agree Batman. Corman's best film and easily William Shatner's finest hour (and 13 mins).

Senior Member Country: United States Reeldigger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know its availability in the UK but Buena Vista released a "Special Edition" dvd of The Intruder some years back. Includes interviews with Corman and Shatner which were very interesting and, at times, riotously funny.

Another great black-and-white Corman film from the 50s is A Bucket of Blood. A extremely low-budget take-off of The Mystery of the Wax Museum set in a beatnik coffee house. Wickedly funny. It's easy to look down one's nose at Corman. In fact, for years he was one of the shrewdest and most intelligent guys in Hollywood.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Corman said The Intruder was the only film he made that lost monry and regarding himself as a businessman first and an artist second, never tried something like that again.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Reeldigger']I don't know its availability in the UK but Buena Vista released a "Special Edition" dvd of The Intruder some years back. Includes interviews with Corman and Shatner which were very interesting and, at times, riotously funny.

The UK Stax DVD features the Shatner/Corman interview as an extra. Great stuff.

Senior Member Country: UK howardmitchell's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    ive been wanting to know a corman film which has a man reciting a grim poem in it - ive only got a clip and wondered if you guys know which film it was ?

it says something about "...he strangled a girl in the gloom "

think it was based on an old traditional song ( like molly malone ?)

tough one huh ?

happy halloween

H

Liked
    0 times
    no ideas ?

Liked
    0 times
    If it's in a contemporary setting, it might be Bucket of Blood because it had beatniks reciting poetry in a coffee shop.

Liked
    1 times
    In The Premature Burial Hazel Court plays Molly Malone on the piano after she marries Ray Milland. It's also whistled by the gravedigger during the opening scene (the opening of the coffin).

Other than that it sounds as if will.15 is more closer with Julian Burton as the bearded poet in Bucket Of Blood.

Liked
    0 times
    no it was neither of these .

it was i think in a dream sequence ,could have been a compilation film i get the impression it was like a fairy story similar to Grimms ? the guy singing the rymne could have been a gravedigger ?

Liked
    0 times
    The only compilation Corman film is Tales of Terror. That was on yesterday, but I turned it off to watch The Iron Empress. He didn't do Grimm stories, so it must be one of the Poes.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Is it gravedigger in"THE UNDEAD" who was given to verse. The film was shot in b/w and is a story of witches, goblins and the like.

Liked
    0 times
    it could well be . it sounds like the one im thinking - your gonna say its not one of cormans arnt you ? lol

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    It is one of Cormans made non union.A psychic researcher pays a woman to be hypnotized but he accidentally sends her back to the Dark Ages, he learns that she was a witch who's to be executed. With Allison Hayes is always worth watching. Also stars Pamela Duncan, Richard Garland, Dick Miller and Mel Welles. It's available on DVD in one of The Arkoff Collection box sets.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Special interview with Roger Corman yesterday on BBC Radio regarding the Lifetime Achievement award, with excerpts from some of the productions.

The programme is the weekly feature on American life called 'Americana' BBC Radio 4 @ 7.15 pm.

The BBC haven't yet got round to listing the details for yesterdays programme, so avid listeners will just have to seek the programme page from the BBC Radio 4 webpage and work it out from there.