Liked
    0 times
    I am sure this film was propaganda of a sort. I only saw it once on TV years ago, but it has stuck in my memory - except I cannot remember its title. The plot revolved around a young American girl staying with an English family and something happens that is solved with her reading the magna carta. The something might be some injustice ot whatever, but I can't remember.

Can anyone help??

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Sherlock Holmes Faces Death (1943)?

Liked
    0 times
    No,it wasn't a sherlock holmes film. American girl was a teenager. She stayed with a family in some stereotypical london suburb, sort of like as in "Hope and Glory".

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='observer']No,it wasn't a sherlock holmes film. American girl was a teenager. She stayed with a family in some stereotypical london suburb, sort of like as in "Hope and Glory".

This sounds very loosely similar to the plot of Passport To Pimlico - an ancient document is unearthed that provides historic rites of independence to a suburb of London. 'Burgundia' residents then attempt to run their own affairs, with the help of the last in the long line of the Burgundian Royal Family, a young man who stays with one of the families during his visit. An Ealing Studios film, shot after the war in bomb-damaged London with a great cast including Stanley Holloway and Margaret Rutherford. If your memory is a bit faded, could it possibly be this one?!?!?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi Observer. Can't help you with the title, but I can remember the film. It wasn't Passport to Pimlico. It was something to do with a village which had a problem with bureaucracy, and as you say, this American girl found a copy of Magna Carta, and, problem solved. Hope someone can help you with the title.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Was looking for information on my own search by checking British films of the 40's & 50's when I came across a candidate for yours. Miss Pilgrim's Progress concerns an American factory girl who swaps places with an English factory girl and ends up helping the local villagers in their fight against a land developer. Can't tell you much more than that I'm afraid. Perhaps some other posters will know more.

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='observer']I am sure this film was propaganda of a sort. I only saw it once on TV years ago, but it has stuck in my memory - except I cannot remember its title. The plot revolved around a young American girl staying with an English family and something happens that is solved with her reading the magna carta. The something might be some injustice ot whatever, but I can't remember.

Can anyone help??

Are you positive it was the Magna Carta she read or a similar old document?

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Robleau2']Hi Observer. Can't help you with the title, but I can remember the film. It wasn't Passport to Pimlico. It was something to do with a village which had a problem with bureaucracy, and as you say, this American girl found a copy of Magna Carta, and, problem solved. Hope someone can help you with the title.

You could try Time Gentlemen Please which has a young lady finding informtation in the very old parish record which redistributed large sums of money to the village poor. She isn't american but she is lodging with family.