Senior Member Country: England paul kersey's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    Last night I sat and watched a rather poor copy of a film starring Frankie Vaughan and George Baker, called "The Dangerous Years". At the end of the film, I realised that the crucial scene of the film was missing. It involved the death of a soldier on a minefield and this was the reason that Frankie Vaughan went on to start a fight with the man who's action had led to the death. I have read elsewhere on this forum that there are many incomplete copies of this film about, but has anyone actually seen the missing scene ? Was it so gory that it had to be cut, what actually happened to cause the death of the soldier. I have no real wish to obtain another copy of the film, as having seen Frankie Vaughan's acting in the film once, I am rather put off seeing it again. I am just curious as to what I have missed.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Actually, the title was These Dangerous Years, it was an Associated British Picture Corporation release given an "A" certificate by BBFC in 1957. As it's well over fifty years since I last saw it, I can't remember the ending scene, but I seem to recall a scene where Frankie Vaughan and Michael Ripper, both in uniform, are fighting.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I'd love to see some of Frankie's films. The title track is great!

Senior Member Country: England popeye's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just bought this on ebay, George Baker and Frankie Vaughn, the capsion says-- what happens when the army gets it's hands on the king of rock n roll?,,, was he really? i thought that was "Elvis", always thought of Frankie as a "crooner" but there ya go, cant wait to watch this pile of s## (sorry! this great old classic)
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 12-01-11 at 05:35 PM.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Saw it some time ago as "These Dangerous Years", not bad, some Brit faces including John le Mesurier, David Lodge, Thora Hird, Michael Ripper. Frankie doesn't wear top hat and tails !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    Just bought this on ebay, George Baker and Frankie Vaughn, the capsion says-- what happens when the army gets it's hands on the king of rock n roll?,,, was he really? i thought that was "Elvis", always thought of Frankie as a "crooner" but there ya go, cant wait to watch this pile of s## (sorry! this great old classic)

Liked
    0 times
    It turned up a couple of days ago and haven't had chance to watch it yet but judgeing by the plot discription it looks quite good, i dont think i've ever seen Frankie acting, i always remember him Giggleing his way through "give me the moonlight" etc,

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Frankie Vaughn and cast of "Dangerous Years" attend the Liverpool area premiere:-

LIVERPOOL - STARS AT FILM PREMIERE - British Pathe

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I, i dont think i've ever seen Frankie acting,
    Surely you've seen Let's Make Love, the unfairly criticised Marilyn Monroe film in which Yves Montand believes him to be competition at an off-Broadway show? One of my favourite Monroes, highly recommended.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks RicKC for the clip, enjoyed it, afraid i haven't seen "let's make love" but i was very young when Frankie was in his hayday and he (and Marilyn Monroe) have never been one of my favorite performers, i was into rock n roll then, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran etc, but i would like to watch it now, apprecieate more now than i did then, remember my mum saying about Frankie "he's nice but he has a lot of awank" meaning i guess "big headed showoff"!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Thanks RicKC for the clip, enjoyed it, afraid i haven't seen "let's make love" but i was very young when Frankie was in his hayday and he (and Marilyn Monroe) have never been one of my favorite performers, i was into rock n roll then, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran etc, but i would like to watch it now, apprecieate more now than i did then, remember my mum saying about Frankie "he's nice but he has a lot of awank" meaning i guess "big headed showoff"!!
    I expect that what your mum really said was that he "has a lot of swank"

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Yup! thats wot i ment

Liked
    0 times
    Frankie Vaughan WAS indeed a pop star, only bordering on R & R though with songs like "Behind The Green Door" ( no not that green door) and "Tower Of Strenghth" and so on. At the time don't forget, WE, that is the UK, didn't have a KING as the US did, so the publicity guys were out to make one. Frankie, unfortunately wasn't it.