Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon
    Just goes to show - until I saw the widescreen version the other night, I didn't even know that Potts had any kids!!
    ....Your on good form this afternoon Rowdon!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C
    Ian Fleming was of course the story creator.
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    Well there is quite a big Bond connection, CCBB was produced by a certain Albert. R. (Cubby) Broccoli and the production design was by Ken Adam.
    Thank you both Rick and Christoph for confirming that. I wasn't entirely certain, and I don't think I've seen the film since I was a kid (some people might say I still am).

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl V
    Thank you both Rick and Christoph for confirming that. I wasn't entirely certain, and I don't think I've seen the film since I was a kid (some people might say I still am).

The other JB connections are is that Roald Dahl who wrote the script for CCBB and most of the actual story used for the film (as opposed to Fleming's original) worked on the screenplay for You Only Live Twice as well.

And Desmond Llewelyn (Q) is the junk yard owner who sells Potts the car.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME
    The other JB connections are is that Roald Dahl who wrote the script for CCBB and most of the actual story used for the film (as opposed to Fleming's original) worked on the screenplay for You Only Live Twice as well.

And Desmond Llewelyn (Q) is the junk yard owner who sells Potts the car.
    And not forgetting Mr Goldfinger himself, Gert Frobe. Also involved but uncredited was stunt maestro Vic Armstrong who worked on many of the Bonds. I bet there were lots of others from the regular Bond crew, Broccoli was always loyal to his regualr workforce.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    The flick benefits greatly from the contributions of Bond Production Designer Supreme -Ken Adam, courtesy of Cubby I'm sure !

Liked
    0 times
    Have you noticed in the scene in the Baron and Baronesses bedroom how her shoes change? The Baroness does most of the scene in high heels (Anna Quayle - looking very camp) but then she stands on the "trap" and you catch a glimpse of her shoes which have changed to flats!

Liked
    0 times
    One of the best dance routines ever? Me Old Bamboo!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I remember when I ran Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for a week at the Plaza back in June, 1970. Matinees every day and packed out for every performance we were. I must have run it twenty times that week and never got tired of it. I loved it. I remember on the Saturday afternoon, my boss, the late Benny Norcott, came up to the projection room and told me to take a break for half an hour and he’d run the show. So I went down into the packed auditorium and sat on the front row, gazing up at the vast wide screen image across our large CinemaScope screen just as Dick Van Dyke was singing Adrian Hall and Heather Ripley to sleep with the haunting Hushabye Mountain. I’ll never forget the wonder of it. It was magic…pure magic!

A gentle breeze from Hushabye Mountain,

Softly blows over Lullaby Bay.

It fills the sails of boats that are waiting,

Waiting to sail your worries away.

It isn’t far to Hushabye Mountain,

And your boat waits down by the key.

The winds of night so softly are sighing,

Soon, they will fly your worries to sea.

So close your eyes on Hushabye Mountain,

Wave goodbye to cares of the day.

And watch your boat from Hushabye Mountain,

Sail far away from Lullaby Bay.

Liked
    98 times
    The beautiful sunset scene outside the windmill at the end of the Hushabye Mountain lullaby.

Liked
    0 times
    LOVE this film! Actually went to see the stage version when it opened on the West End about 5/6 years ago. The effects were amazing and very realistic. Never thought they'd actually get the car to fly (not litterally of course) but the final scenes just blew me away!

Liked
    98 times
    If I remember correctly, the critics rubbished it when it was first released, but the cinema-going public loved it and made it an enormous hit!

Liked
    0 times
    I went to see the stage version too as I had loved the film so much. Even though the stage adaptation was quite panto-esque I still loved it and found it quite emotional to see "Chitty" for real.

My friend Liza Pulman whom I was at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama with (she's now in Fascinating Aida) played the Barbara Windsor role in the West End version of Chitty! After Guildhall she became professional whereas I stayed as an amateur singer.

Senior Member Country: Germany Hummies's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a timeless classic for the whole family to enjoy! No matter what critics said. When watching it last time, it made us smile seeing the car landing in the fantasy kingdom. Filming location was the lovely medieval town Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

Here are two images from that scene:

shortly before the landing we see the double bridge and a bit of the city

in the next shot Neuschwanstein castle and some mountains in the background were added (none of them being near the town in real, but certainly more effective for a fairytale view)

And here's a picture of that spot, taken this year during our holiday. Hasn't changed much since - of course, the castle isn't there anymore :

Best regards,

Hummies

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Great pics, Hummies.

I have a beautiful picture of Neuschwanstein wreathed in fog as my wallpaper.

CCBB is a wonderful Christmas/Easter/anytime film for everyone with some great songs and casting. I love the scene where James Robertson Justice and Lionel Jeffries are playing soldiers near the end.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    A great film and great scenery. First watched it as a kid back in the 60s at the Astoria picture house on Walton Road in Liverpool.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    But surely the best character was the Child Catcher (Robert Helpmann)

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    This brings back good memories: one of the major Christmas films of 1968.

I remember that clever opening with the racing cars as clearly as if it were yesterday.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I first saw this film at its Scottish premiere in Edinburgh and I think Heather Ripley was present.

I always liked the zepplin boasting the name "Vulg-Air".

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I never tire of watching CCBB, it's such a great feel-good film!

One of my favourite scenes:

And here they are now!(well, a few years ago!)

Liked
    0 times
    When I was 8 my nan took me to see this film and I so loved it. The brilliant Robert Helpmann has stuck in my mind for ever.

Going back to it xx years later Robert Helpmann is still brilliant but those children ohhhh horrible sickliness and well dick van dyke, he could dance but lets leave it at that. In fact I cant bear to see anything hes in now. How childhood likes and enjoyment matures as we get older and more cynical lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast