Thread: An Education

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Saw this on Saturday. Set in suburban Twickenham in the early 60's a coming of age film that for me is the best film I have seen this year. It is excellent in all details and the Art Direction is terrific.

The lead female is a young girl called Carey Mulligan, who is at times, a young Audrey Hepburn and will definitely win awards for her role. Alfred Molina as her Father, as always, gives a great performance as does the rest of the cast. The soundtrack is great and overall a film that you can't get out of your head.

British Cinema at its best, just wonderful!!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for the heads up on this, it soinds very interesting indeed. It's on my To Get list.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhwLJt0seqc&feature=related"]YouTube- An Education, Nick Hornby - 9781594484537[/ame]

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I thought it was superb but I wish they hadn't changed the book's ending (though this would have resulted in a slightly less feisty heroine). Carey Mulligan is clearly going to be A-list by next year.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Carey Mulligan is clearly going to be A-list by next year.
    I thought she already was, especially after her work in Doctor Who

Steve

Liked
    492 times
    name='Steve Crook']I thought she already was, especially after her work in Doctor Who

Steve

It's entertaining that there are still people on Doctor Who messageboards banging on about how she should be the new companion while she's swimming in her mink-lined Hollywood pool

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I've already seen this twice and enjoyed it just as much - if not more - the second time. All the characters are notably well cast (Rosamund Pike a comic revelation as the glamorous but dim friend, Helen), and the script is very funny and subtle. It looks great too.

Liked
    151 times
    I'll add my name to the list. It's a slight rites-of-passage 60s tale but the story is engaging and oozing with charm, and Mulligan is terrific in the lead role. It's a sort of middle-class Wish You Were Here.

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']It's entertaining that there are still people on Doctor Who messageboards banging on about how she should be the new companion while she's swimming in her mink-lined Hollywood pool

Well she was so damned good in the Dr Who episode 'Blink', which she had to carry and it was one of the greatest Who stories ever. Plus she reminded many of Jon Pertwee's much loved early 1970's companion Jo Grant as played by Katy Manning.

So Carey Mulligan is the Who companion we never had, but really craved for.

Carey: -

Katy: -

Liked
    0 times
    Bought it the other day on DVD after viewing the trailer of it. I thought it was a great film. I'm not going to spoil the film and give away spoilers but I really enjoyed it. I quite liked the ending also. I didn't know they had made the ending different from the one in the book, I wonder how different it was in the book?

Liked
    492 times
    name='Gritty Realism']Bought it the other day on DVD after viewing the trailer of it. I thought it was a great film. I'm not going to spoil the film and give away spoilers but I really enjoyed it. I quite liked the ending also. I didn't know they had made the ending different from the one in the book, I wonder how different it was in the book?

In the book (though the film is really based on a short autobiographical article in Granta)
      Spoiler:
    Lynn Barber pleaded to be allowed to return to school and was re-accepted

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    The different ending is on the DVD extras - a better ending in my view.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    I saw this on the plane coming over and, to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. Seemed a little bland and I couldn't escape the feeling I had seen it all before.

Some nice performances but that wasn't enough to salvage a script that had no surprises for me (I could plot the whole thing out in my head).