Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    First pic, guy on the right I think is Terry Plummer.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Actors in classic 80s pop videos

First two are from Brownski Beat and Small Town Boy

and the third is from Simply Red and Holding Back the Years

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    13 times
    Middle one looks like John Collin

Liked
    243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieDudeToo View Post
    Middle one looks like John Collin
    Cheers md, the top lady looks very familiar, just can't place her name.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Cheers md, the top lady looks very familiar, just can't place her name.
    Sheila Keith perhaps?

Liked
    243 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    First picture, white-haired gent on the left is Walter Goodman, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    First pic, guy on the right I think is Terry Plummer.
    Cheers Gentlemen

Paul

Liked
    243 times
    Sheila Keith perhaps?
    Thanks for the suggestion but looking at the whole video it isn't her.

Paul

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Catching up with posts

The first and third faces in the captures from the Bronski Beat video look like Kathleen Heath and John Wood. The other is definitely John Collin.

Thanks again to Quark and Film40 for their identifications of Janice Hoy and Julie Shaw, respectively. I hoped to find more on them but made no further progress, unfortunately. Including the rediscovery of that elusive article on Janice I'd found not long before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    The Daily Mirror article from Janice is wonderfully pompous, reminds me of that girl in the news a month or so ago, Samantha something, complaining about being just too beautiful.
    As a few more months have passed since this story made the news, I should point out that Tigon Man was referring to this 'lady':

Samantha Brick on ITV This Morning: Why do women hate me for being beautiful?

I know she's a journalist and suspect she was trying to gain publicity for her column. "Comments are disabled for this video" but that hasn't stopped it from receiving 2,171 Dislikes onYouTube (surely a record?!) and only 302 Likes, at the moment. Not really worth devoting much time to so I'll move on!

Mystery Extras in 'The Sandwich Man' (1966)

Among those watching an argument between lovers David Buck and Suzy Kendall at the bus stop are Leon Thau (far left),
    Roger Delgado (with fez) and Tracey Crisp ('Girl in the Black Plastic Mac') but do you recognise the others in the picture?:

The man with the moustache looks familiar while the one with the glasses reminds me of someone I've captured before:

The same man? Sean Barry-Weske in the Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) episode Whoever Heard of a Ghost Dying?.

Next, alternative shots of some Extras you may have seen at the 'Sighted' thread, beginning with this mystery Waitress:

With Michael Bentine, as 'The Sandwich Man', and Gerald Campion. On the left (back to camera) is, I think, Skip Martin.

Jack Arrow is one of the crowd gathered to watch the escapology act of Aubrey Morris and his assistant Peter Jones:

Lastly, a close-up of Aubrey, whose act is about to fail miserably, but I'm hoping someone will recognise the onlookers:
    Last edited by cornershop15; 22-07-12 at 10:40 AM.

Senior Member Country: UK SilverTyne's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post

You'll notice that bloke with the glasses is there AGAIN, along with the curly haired man from post #2

The bespectacled youth reminds me of a crowd member who 'conducted' the Last Night of the Proms
    I've wondered for years what became of that chap. Anyone know? Has he ever revealed himself?

Liked
    182 times
    In the bus queue, the chap with the cigarette is Peter Ravella. The chap in the glasses looks a bit like Michael Sharvell-Martin.

Liked
    243 times
    The first and third faces in the captures from the Bronski Beat video look like Kathleen Heath
    Thanks for the idea Cornershop but I have my doubts. Here are two more stills from the video. The actress is similar but thinner in the face.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Thanks for the idea Cornershop but I have my doubts. Here are two more stills from the video. The actress is similar but thinner in the face.

I'm pretty sure it's Daphne 'Listen with mother' Oxenford.

Liked
    243 times
    That's it Mark, one of those names on the tip of my tongue but mind was awol.

Paul

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Sorry I can't help with the name of that 'conductor', SilverTyne. He always stood out from the others at the front of the audience when I watched the Last Night of the Proms, from 1976 to the Mid-1980s. The real conductors at that time included Charles Groves and James Loughran. Halcyon days for me ... although it's a mystery now why Ruby Flipper and Legs and Co. didn't appeal

Well done, Mark. I've found confirmation elsewhere. I first knew her as Daphne 'What the Papers Say' Oxenford (one of the voices who quoted those in the news) but in more recent years she's become more familiar as Esther Hayes, in the early years of Coronation Street. Not John Wood but I do recognise the Holding Back the Years actor, Freddy, even from this brief appearance. More interestingly, the video was filmed in Whitby and features Take Me Home actress Maggie 'Neill in her "acting debut". Her first close-up is at around 1.30:

Simply Red - Holding Back the Years

US #1 for one week in 1986

And thanks, Gerald, for identifying Peter Ravella. You might be right about Michael Sharvell-Martin. Looks very different from how I remember him.

More from the Escaplogy scene in 'The Sandwich Man'

A 'panoramic' view of the onlookers (location - Tolworth Tower, Surrey). The group including Jack Arrow is on the left:

The man and woman nearest Peter Jones are those behind Aubrey Morris in my previous capture.

Jack and his friends again but are the African trio Extras we may have seen before, or tourists?:

Alternative shots of this group have appeared elsewhere, including Anna Karen's thread (the Lady with the Dog):

Especially hoping for an identification of the tall man and elegant lady next to him (upstaged by the flamboyant African!).
    Last edited by cornershop15; 25-07-12 at 06:33 PM.

Liked
    243 times
    Is the elegant lady in the hat Marianne Stone?

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Cornershop and other researchers into obscure actor and actress...

Just to let you know that, courtesy of the BFI's spiffy new library at the NFT and its excellent librarians, I got to look at Spotlight Actresses from 1969 but there was no sign of the elusive Julie Shaw.

Does that mean she had given up acting by then or that she was never in Spotlight? I suspect we shall never know as the trail seems to have gone cold. It's most frustrating.

Out of interest, have any of you following this thread seen her performance in NIGHTBIRDS (BFI Flipside DVD)? And, if so, did you find it as remarkable as I do?

There are several other great performances in that film, including Berwick Kaler - who is still acting and provides a highly entertaining commentary on the disc; Bill Clancy who had a couple of other credits, and conveys a wonderfully weasely sense of menace; and another mystery - Elaine Shore as an aged 'busker' ...

The only actress of this name I can find was an American who was working on the East Coast - possibly in Manhattan's off-off-Broadway scene - around the same time as director Andy Milligan but this isn't her.

I wonder if the 'Elaine Shore' in the film might have been an Equity actress working on this non-union film so Milligan 'borrowed' a pseudonym from somebody he knew back home. That's pure speculation though.

Whatever the truth, 'Mabel' - spouting New Yorker Andy's idea of Cockney dialogue - is a memorable gem.

It's a rich film for fans of the odd-ball and off-beat.

(As is the other film on the disc, THE BODY BENEATH, with tremendous actress Jackie Skarvellis, who became a mainstay of British fringe theatre and made a personal appearance at the BFI for the Flipside screening in January.)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    In the bus queue, the chap with the cigarette is Peter Ravella. The chap in the glasses looks a bit like Michael Sharvell-Martin.
    I can see the likeness of the bloke in specs to Michael Sharvell-Martin Gerald, but I'm not convinced. Michael S-M would have been barely 21 when the Sandwich man was filmed and the bloke in the specs looks older and taller.

Liked
    182 times
    Is the elegant lady in the hat Marianne Stone?
    To me, she looks more like "our" Pauline Chamberlain!

Liked
    243 times
    To me, she looks more like "our" Pauline Chamberlain!
    Is this Pauline as well, taken from The Jokers?

Liked
    243 times
    Two more from The Jokers (from you tube)

This chap is a reporter who has a speaking part

as does this warder

Page 25 of 52 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast