Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Being somewhat car obsessed as a youngster, this is something that has stayed with me for many years. Twice, in the '70's when home from school I saw a short documentary telling the story of an old Ford Prefect 100E that had come to the end of it's useful life. The last owner was interviewed, he stated how much he had liked the car but that it was no longer worth fixing, and he had sold it for scrap/ to be banger raced. You saw the windscreens being removed, and the car made track ready. Then a final lap of glory and off to the scrapyard.

I have never seen it since, and have been unable to find any trace of it. I had thought it to be one of the trade test transmissions (very similar in length and type of subject matter) but it seems not.

Does anyone else remember this?!

Liked
    0 times
    Was it an Arena Documentary?

Liked
    0 times
    The first thing that sprang to mind was an Arena Documentary in the early 80's. It featured owners of Cortina's and even had some "celebs" talking about Ford in general. I looked at a few websites and it seems that the documentary was made in 1982 (a few years after you remember watching it). Does this ring any (car) bells?! It was called Private Life of a Ford Cortina.

Good luck

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    Popular 100e ""Historic Stockcar"" :: Fotopic.Net

Cant find a great deal.I'll keep looking because I like old british cars.

Frame.

Recognise any?

http://www.ford100e.com.fotopic.net/c1690175.html

Liked
    0 times
    I kind of remember the Cortina programme, but the one I'm looking for was much earlier, definately on TV in the '70's. It was black and white ( though that might be 'cos we only had a B&W set at the time!) and the car was grey?! It showed the owner speaking outside in the compound of what I remember to be a block of flats, with the car in the background. It can't have been very long in duration, maybe 10 minutes?

I have searched some of the banger sites/ forums without success.

The title End of the Road comes to mind, though I've no idea why!

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    name='the02shed']I kind of remember the Cortina programme, but the one I'm looking for was much earlier, definately on TV in the '70's. It was black and white ( though that might be 'cos we only had a B&W set at the time!) and the car was grey?! It showed the owner speaking outside in the compound of what I remember to be a block of flats, with the car in the background. It can't have been very long in duration, maybe 10 minutes?

I have searched some of the banger sites/ forums without success.

The title End of the Road comes to mind, though I've no idea why!
    Could it have been a local news report not well documented?

Frame

Liked
    0 times
    No, not a news item- my memory is of seeing it twice, some time apart. The more I think about it, it would have been during the daytime, and I was only 8 or 9 years old, possibly younger ( or older!).

A school programme? Maybe even an item within a school programme? The latter perhaps seems likely-how do you find out about those?