Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    The series of 24 episodes was made in Poland by Sheldon Leonard and starred Geoffrey Whitehead and Donald Pickering. Never shown in the UK after a deal with ITV fell through. It was aired in the US , Australia and several countries on the Continent. Can anyone provide the set on DVD R?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Never seen an episode, but the ITV deal must have fallen through at quite a late stage, as an annual was released which I used to have a copy of.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Lord Brett']Never seen an episode, but the ITV deal must have fallen through at quite a late stage, as an annual was released which I used to have a copy of.
    You may be interested in a couple of YouTube clips of the dubbed German version.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ba12bIJSNo"]YouTube- Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson Intro[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj72R-dRXP8"]YouTube- Sherlock Holmes - The Speckled Band (1979)[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    Some more info on their series Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. It had been assumed that the series hadn't been released on DVD becauise of undefined 'rights' problems. Well I have found out that they have been officially released in Italy, by a firm called Ermitage. The releases were in the second half of 2009 and into early 2010. It appears that they are in dubbed Italian audio only but I have ordered 1 DVD of the set of 6 to check this out and see what the picture is like.
    This is from the distributors online catalog. Further details are sparce.

Dagli anni '70 in poi - Ermitage - Cinema e musica

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3...kwhitehead.jpg

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Check the major auction site that isn't eBay and you'll find the full set. Not fantastic copies, but watchable. Geoffrey Whitehead is currently on TV in Reggie Perrin ...

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    That'd be ioffer.com.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    Check the major auction site that isn't eBay and you'll find the full set. Not fantastic copies, but watchable. Geoffrey Whitehead is currently on TV in Reggie Perrin ...
    And he's on BBC7 aprooximately 23 times a week. Which is nice

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Wasn't sure whether we could flag it was ioffer but yes, that's the one!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    You can talk about ioffer and ebay. It only gets a bit iffy if links to DVDRs of legit titles are made. This series is not available anywhere on 'official' DVD AFAIK so I think we're pretty safe for the moment.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    Best you can do on that site at present is a seller with 22 of the 24 episodes.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartfanning View Post
    Some more info on their series Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. It had been assumed that the series hadn't been released on DVD becauise of undefined 'rights' problems. Well I have found out that they have been officially released in Italy, by a firm called Ermitage. The releases were in the second half of 2009 and into early 2010. It appears that they are in dubbed Italian audio only but I have ordered 1 DVD of the set of 6 to check this out and see what the picture is like.
    This is from the distributors online catalog. Further details are sparce.

Dagli anni '70 in poi - Ermitage - Cinema e musica

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/3...kwhitehead.jpg
    I have now received the Italian DVD for 4 of the episodes. Here is a picture of the back cover which you may find interesting.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/523...whitehead1.jpg

You will notice thar Ermitage didn't bother to check their facts re the producers of this series, saying that the BBC was a co-producer and co-owner of the copyright! As you will also notice, nowhere on the DVD box credits does Sheldon Leonard get a mention! As suspected the audio is in Italian only. The picture is better than the 'off air' DVD's that are sold on ioffer, but by any other standard are not very good (I can post captures if anyone would like me to).

By the way, the Italian DVD's are available on ebay.
    Last edited by stuartfanning; 06-11-10 at 10:29 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    This series is currently being uploaded to YouTube. Link below.

YouTube - MemorieLane1980's Channel

Liked
    0 times
    Here is a Canadian seller of this series.

DVD

SHERLOCK HOLMES AND DOCTOR WATSON (1980 - Geoffrey Whitehead, Donald Pickering, Patrick Newell as Inspector Lestrade - 24 episodes on 6 DVD-R's)
    $54.95

Robert's Hard to find Videos

Liked
    0 times
    For those who would like to view episodes from this series on YouTube. Here is an updated link.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...47VRevFRSXGgm5

Liked
    0 times
    I had a look at this site -he's not exactly cheap is he ?

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    The series of 24 episodes was made in Poland by Sheldon Leonard and starred Geoffrey Whitehead and Donald Pickering. Never shown in the UK after a deal with ITV fell through. It was aired in the US , Australia and several countries on the Continent. Can anyone provide the set on DVD R?
    I recently watched all 24 episodes of the above series, quite enjoyed the series, I thought Geoffrey Whitehead and Donald Pickering, made a good team, and Patrick Newell, was good in the role of Inspector Lestrade.

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin C View Post
    I had a look at this site -he's not exactly cheap is he ?
    Some of those prices are ridiculous.

Liked
    7 times
    Can I mention that London Live are currently showing some of the Basil Rathbone films.

Liked
    4 times
    I have now received the Italian DVD for 4 of the episodes. Here is a picture of the back cover which you may find interesting.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/523...whitehead1.jpg

You will notice thar Ermitage didn't bother to check their facts re the producers of this series, saying that the BBC was a co-producer and co-owner of the copyright! As you will also notice, nowhere on the DVD box credits does Sheldon Leonard get a mention! As suspected the audio is in Italian only. The picture is better than the 'off air' DVD's that are sold on ioffer, but by any other standard are not very good (I can post captures if anyone would like me to).

By the way, the Italian DVD's are available on ebay.
    It's not Sheldon Leonard of "I SPY" fame but Sheldon Reynolds who also produced the Ronald Howard Holmes series of the 50's. Worth a look on IMDb for the array of Directors, writers and actors.

Senior Member Country: UK flynn's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    I have 22 Episodes I mainly got them for the Richard Greene Episode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast