Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lennon Naked

Liked
    151 times
    Christopher Eccleston to play John Lennon in BBC4 drama

Lennon Naked, a 90-minute one-off film, looks at Beatle's life from 1967 to 1971, with Christopher Eccleston in starring role

Christopher Eccleston: playing John Lennon in Lennon Naked on BBC4. Photograph: Colin McPherson/Corbis

The former Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston is to play John Lennon in a new BBC4 drama.

Called Lennon Naked, the one-off 90-minute film covers Lennon's life from 1967 to 1971.

It features the effect on Lennon of the death of the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, and the impact of re-establishing contact with his long lost father Freddie.

Lennon Naked also covers the break-up of his marriage to Cynthia Lennon and meeting Yoko Ono.

Ono is played by Naoko Mori, of Torchwood and Absolutely Fabulous, and Epstein by Rory Kinnear.

Other cast members includethe Cranford actor Claudie Blakley as Cynthia Lennon and Andrew Scott as Paul McCartney.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Northern Echo (28/11/09):

Former 'Doctor Who' star Christopher Eccleston is to star as John Lennon in a biopic set during the turbulent demise of The Beatles.

LENNON NAKED covers the period from 1967 to 1971 when tensions within the band reached a peak and the star slipped into hard drug use.

Eccleston has already begun filming the 90-minute drama for BBC4. At 45, the actor is a good 18 years older than the real Lennon would have been in 1967 and five years older than the musician at the time of his death in 1980.

The late Sixties era saw huge upheavals in Lennon's life as he adjusted to the death of the band's manager, Brian Epstein, in 1967, and he became increasingly devoted to new partner Yoko Ono and avant garde art, while his marriage crumbled.

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice

Former 'Doctor Who' star Christopher Eccleston is to star as John Lennon in a biopic set during the turbulent demise of The Beatles.

LENNON NAKED covers the period from 1967 to 1971 when tensions within the band reached a peak and the star slipped into hard drug use.

Eccleston has already begun filming the 90-minute drama for BBC4. At 45, the actor is a good 18 years older than the real Lennon would have been in 1967 and five years older than the musician at the time of his death in 1980.

The late Sixties era saw huge upheavals in Lennon's life as he adjusted to the death of the band's manager, Brian Epstein, in 1967, and he became increasingly devoted to new partner Yoko Ono and avant garde art, while his marriage crumbled.
    Thanks for the info Maurice.................ANYTHING on John Lennon I'll want to see...

Cheers

Sgt S

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times

At 45, the actor is a good 18 years older than the real Lennon would have been in 1967 and five years older than the musician at the time of his death in 1980.

Isn't Christopher Eccleston too old for the role?

Senior Member Country: Vatican Sgt Sunshine's Avatar
    Liked
    212 times
    Isn't Christopher Eccleston too old for the role?
    Probably right........Whom would you consider for the role.......any ideas...

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Without offfence to Eccleston, he will I`m sure be superb in the part, but John Lennon never had a nose like that

xx

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Me and my mum saw Christopher Eccleston in the West Yorkshire Playhouse cafe when he was appearing in Hamlet there - she spent most of the time we were there commenting loudly 'Look at the size of his nose!' etc. Mortified isn't the word.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I'll watch anything on Lennon too, but I do think he's too old.

Lennon has grown old with us, but when you see late 60s footage of the fab four, you occasionally see flashes of how young they were at that point, with the whole world looking at them.

Who would I recommend? Not Ian Hart again. Maybe Mathew Horne (in dark granny glasses)?

That's what a 30 year old looks like.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Ecclestone has the physical attributes of Lennon. I think he will surprise many. As said above, anything on Lennon and McCartney is fine with me. It will be the thirtieth anniversary of his death next Christmas and I hope for some good TV to mark this event.

I was playing a wise man in my schools nativity when his death was announced. We were given a hastily scribbled sheet of paper with the words to Happy Christmas (War Is Over) on. Lots of parents were crying.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by faginsgirl
    Without offfence to Eccleston, he will I`m sure be superb in the part, but John Lennon never had a nose like that

xx
    Was his nose, or lack thereof, really the most important thing about Lennon?

Steve

Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook

Steve

Can't think of anything else. You?

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    Eccleston may be a little old for the part, but he's a very good actor.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times

Steve

Thats not really what I was saying, I was just pointing out the physical difference between the two, obviously! Like when certain people were pointing out the age difference.

xx

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I think that a good actor, like Eccleston, should soon make you forget about the age or the differently shaped nose of the person he's playing

Let's wait and see what it's like and if those things really are significant.

Steve

Liked
    143 times
    I think that a good actor, like Eccleston, should soon make you forget about the age or the differently shaped nose of the person he's playing

Let's wait and see what it's like and if those things really are significant.

Steve
    I agree of course, but I do often wonder why the famous young are so often played by people who are far too old ...but I've bored on and on about this at length on the other thread dedicated to this very question.

A 45 year old playing a 30 year old is a lot easier to take than a 30 year old playing an 18 year old.

Liked
    1 times

xx
    Maybe he should play Ringo

I think he looks OK.

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Looking forward to this. BBC4 have produced some excellent biopics of late.

Liked
    1 times

I think his hair is a liitle too long.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    It's very difficult when an actor is well know to imagine them as anything else than themselves. It's going to be difficult to look at him and see John Lennon. But it looks good.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times

xx
    yes he did! have another look at my drawing on my profile! he had a very aquiline nose at the least! paul mc ganns nose would be better suited though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast