Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello,

Here's one I've been trying to track down since a friend described it, in the early '80s. That is to say, I haven't seen it myself, but he did - on British TV - I think around that time (most likely 1979-83).

The following is all I know:

A couple (young-ish, I think) who seem to be the main characters in the film are present together in the final scene. All is well and there is a feeling of relief/joy. (Possibly - but I am not sure about this - there is either a "swinging 60's" or drug-tinged feel to the film in general). The pair are standing either on a balcony, or against a handrail on some lofty spot. They lean against the latter; balcony/handrail collapses; they fall to their deaths; end of film.

The (approximate) year I was told about the film, combined with our interests at the time (1960's/1970's cinema), lead me to suspect the film was made between 1965 and say 1982 - but most likely late '60s-mid'70s. I wonder if it could have been a European film - I have trawled British & American films for years trying to find it, but no luck.

Thanks in advance for any help in trying to identify this/track it down!

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times
    What's the surprise ending?

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Maybe it's an urban legend because I can't find the program, but I read or heard a long running radio soap opera ended when the entire family was in the same car and it went off a cliff.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    The Odd Job (1979) ends this way. Did the young man look like Graham Chapman? It was a remake of an early 70s Ronnie Barker play.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    In 'The Odd Job' the ending was very obviously pointed by the David Jason character warning them not to lean on the balcony; the end scene showed them falling in slow motion, kissing and then the scene faded to white (I think). The couple were Graham Chapman and Diana Quick, and he'd spent all the film previously trying to get David Jason to kill him, with the usual amusing results.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the responses so far...

name='glyn horton']The Odd Job (1979) ends this way. Did the young man look like Graham Chapman? It was a remake of an early 70s Ronnie Barker play.

I'm no longer in touch with the person who told me about the film, Glyn, so I can't say.

name='didi-5'] In 'The Odd Job' the ending was very obviously pointed by the David Jason character warning them not to lean on the balcony; the end scene showed them falling in slow motion, kissing and then the scene faded to white (I think). The couple were Graham Chapman and Diana Quick, and he'd spent all the film previously trying to get David Jason to kill him, with the usual amusing results.

I'm not sure if it is The Odd Job - sounds a bit too directly comedic. Also against it being The Odd Job was your observation didi-5... "the ending was very obviously pointed by the David Jason character warning them not to lean on the balcony" - my memory was that the collapsing balcony/railing was absolutely unexpected (& shocking) to the audience - it was a bit of a sick final twist after everything seemed perfect. I've also got this fixed idea that the film had some sort of countercultural feel...

But the suggestions could be right... I'll hold out for a for days and see if any other ideas come in... may just have to chance my arm on an out-of-print VHS of The Odd Job.

Please keep throwing ideas in... thanks!!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    They don't fall off a balcony, but the couple do come to a very sudden sticky end in a film would seem to fit the bill, The Smashing Bird I Used to Know (released on DVD as School For Unclaimed Girls).

Liked
    0 times
    name='asiamiles']They don't fall off a balcony, but the couple do come to a very sudden sticky end in a film would seem to fit the bill, The Smashing Bird I Used to Know (released on DVD as School For Unclaimed Girls).

Thanks for that Asiamiles - I have a copy of The Smashing Bird I Used To Know - so it's not that, but the car crash ending in that is exactly the feel that the balcony ending conjured up in my mind when i was told about the mystery flick... totally out of the blue disaster, at odds with what was going on. The Graham Chapman comedy that others have suggested sounds a bit too "played for laughs" to be the right one...

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    Sounds a lot like "A Name for Evil." The hippie party, wife falling to her death from the balcony.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    name='torinfan']Sounds a lot like "A Name for Evil." The hippie party, wife falling to her death from the balcony.

It would be great to find out you're right, Torinfan. Fingers-crossed.

Perhaps this poster can help rekindle our original poster's memory?

A Name for Evil (1973)

Liked
    0 times
    name='torinfan']Sounds a lot like "A Name for Evil." The hippie party, wife falling to her death from the balcony.

"A Name For Evil" is almost certainly right - hits the mark on both the balcony scene & the hippie/countercultural element - thanks so much!! I've just ordered a cheap DVD of it from the USA - hopefully it won't get delayed in the Christmas post, so will report when it arrives back to confirm.

[**Anyone moderator reading - being new to this I marked Torinfan's answer as the "best answer" not realising I was marking the question as solved. Wouldn't want to call this solved until I've watched the film. I can't work out how to mark the thread as "unsolved" , so if someone could do so it would be much appreciated]

I truly appreciate this - this forum is wonderful. Thanks again!!

Liked
    71 times
    name='yensheebaby']"A Name For Evil" is almost certainly right - hits the mark on both the balcony scene & the hippie/countercultural element - thanks so much!! I've just ordered a cheap DVD of it from the USA - hopefully it won't get delayed in the Christmas post, so will report when it arrives back to confirm.

[**Anyone moderator reading - being new to this I marked Torinfan's answer as the "best answer" not realising I was marking the question as solved. Wouldn't want to call this solved until I've watched the film. I can't work out how to mark the thread as "unsolved" , so if someone could do so it would be much appreciated]

I truly appreciate this - this forum is wonderful. Thanks again!!

You are very welcome and thank you for choosing my answer! :)

Liked
    71 times
    name='cornershop15']
    It would be great to find out you're right, Torinfan. Fingers-crossed.

Perhaps this poster can help rekindle our original poster's memory?

A Name for Evil (1973)

I love the poster, thanks so much for posting it!

I liked the part where Robert Culp shows his skin in the film. ~:)~

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    name='torinfan']I love the poster, thanks so much for posting it!

I liked the part where Robert Culp shows his skin in the film. ~:)~

My pleasure. It's from the brilliant MovieGoods website. Search any film and you might find a few surprises - including your beloved Torin!

A reviewer at IMDb pointed out that Robert Culp was shown naked, which he didn't approve of, but I would much rather it was the beautiful Samantha Eggar. I hope I get to see this film, also known as Face of Evil, if only as an example of 'Actors We Didn't Expect to See Together' (still looking for more examples to post at that thread ).

Really hoping this is the right movie, one of my favourite 'Can You Name This Film?' subjects so far - if it's right!

Liked
    71 times
    name='cornershop15']My pleasure. It's from the brilliant MovieGoods website. Search any film and you might find a few surprises - including your beloved Torin!

A reviewer at IMDb pointed out that Robert Culp was shown naked, which he didn't approve of, but I would much rather it was the beautiful Samantha Eggar. I hope I get to see this film, also known as Face of Evil, if only as an example of 'Actors We Didn't Expect to See Together' (still looking for more examples to post at that thread ).

Really hoping this is the right movie, one of my favourite 'Can You Name This Film?' subjects so far - if it's right!

Yes, I've seen some goodies of Torin at MovieGoods - thank you! :)

As for the Robert Culp vs Samantha Eggar skin, different strokes for different folks I guess!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='torinfan']I liked the part where Robert Culp shows his skin in the film. ~:)~

Liked
    71 times
    name='vincenzo']

I first saw the movie on the AMC cable channel and there is a degree of atmosphere in the movie.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Oddly for a horror film, the title doesn't ring any bells with me at all, though if it played on UK TV during that time period I might have caught it...maybe I've just forgotten it? The 74min rt suggests a TV movie made for a 90min slot, but the sexual content/nudity seemingly contradicts this notion.

Liked
    71 times
    name='asiamiles']Oddly for a horror film, the title doesn't ring any bells with me at all, though if it played on UK TV during that time period I might have caught it...maybe I've just forgotten it? The 74min rt suggests a TV movie made for a 90min slot, but the sexual content/nudity seemingly contradicts this notion.

I suspect when it was shown on AMC, it had some scenes edited out. When AMC first started out, it was commercial free, then someone decided to change all that, so that it now has commercials, which began somewhere around 2000.

From what I have heard about the movie, it is easy to forget some parts of it, it's not one of those that is instantly memorable, there is a lot of surrealism involved, but the score is very memorable, composed by Dominic Frontiere, who did the score for The Outer Limits. It's been awhile since I have seen it.