Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I thought Edge Of Destruction (Inside The Spaceship) was one of the best Hartnell stories. Quite chilling in parts.

Liked
    0 times
    name='vincenzo']Some great pics there Taffy.

My all time favourite Dr Who story is The Three Doctors. Sad to think that this trio of great actors are gone now.

Thanks and yes The Three Doctors has always been one of my favourites, even if William Hartnell is only seen on the Tardis monitor.

Katy Manning (Jo Grant) looked very nice and groovy in that one: -

Even The Beatles classic 'I Am The Walrus' got a mention too.

Liked
    0 times
    name='franfran']I started off by getting all the David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston discs and then got hold of a couple of discs of William Hartnell and decided I had to get more of the early years. In spite of the constraints of a shoe-string budget, these old episodes stand up quite well. "The Edge of Destruction" is an amazing piece, showing how much can be done with virtually nothing. I still have a couple of the Hartnell discs to get, and I'm not sure if I'll get any more of the Doctors once I have all of his available episodes - so many other things to buy, and only so much money to spread around...............

I know the feeling and I can remember resisting the urge to buy the VHS video's from WHSmith back in the mid 1980's, even though I was dying to see some of my old favourites again.

But once I saw a Dalek chase Sylvester McCoy up the stairs in Remembrance Of The Daleks, I was soon off to Smiths buying everything I could afford (it didn't take long to catch up at the time though) and I've been addicted ever since.

The early ones always please the most on DVD, because the difference between the old VHS releases is immense. It's almost as if they've used the original 2" master tapes.

So much may be missing, but what exists is being treated to the highest standards and the old 16mm telerecordings get digitally remastered, every frame is cleaned up and has scratches, dirt and imperfections removed. Plus they use clever technology called 'Vidfiring' so the end result appears more like the original video as opposed to jerky 16mm film.

Senior Member Country: United States robotoid97's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Vlad Orlok']Hello from Denmark

I am a horror/sci-fi collector with some experience, but i am a complete virgin to Dr. Who. I haven't even seen a single show... And still i am planning to begin to collect this series, since everything i have heard about it fits perfectly in with my taste. But from what i have heard and read, it is extremely difficult to collect this, because so many episodes are lost or just extremely rare.

So right now i hope to get some advices where i can begin to buy or trade what? I would be extremely happy if i could start chronologically and for example get all the existing episodes of season 1. Could someone please tell me which episodes are missing?

I prefer to trade, but i am also willing to buy from some web-shop, or cheap from a collector...in a couple of months that is...

If we are dealing with a trade, i can tell that i recently have begun to collect samurai movies, but i am mainly dealing with classic horror and sci-fi from USA, England, Mexico, Spain and Italy. I have tons of small collections and three quite large ones. I believe that my Vincent Price and Bela Lugosi collections are the largest in the world, while my Hammer collection isn't, just up there somewhere with 180 titles...

Greetings from Copenhagen

Jan

Hi Vlad

My first exposure to Doctor Who was in the 1960's with the Peter Cushing films , then later on I saw the Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker's Doctors. The first time I saw a regeneration which was Jon Pertwee changing to Tom Baker I recall saying to myself; Hello Hello Hello , what�s all this now? This was because both films were non canon and Dr Who was actually Peter Cushing�s name in the film w/ no reference to timelords , regenerations , etc.

If you are new to the show I would suggest that you start from the beginning w/ William Hartnell and work your way up as there is so much lore associated w/ doctor who it may become difficult to follow.

Many of the episodes are available on VHS or DVD & I would also suggest getting the recons (reconstructed episodes of the ones destroyed or lost by the BBC) as they fill the empty void in nicely.

If you need or want to swap anything in horror ,sci-fi , etc please feel free to contact me by pm and I would be happy to help you out or try to point you in the right direction...

Anton

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    I can remember the William Hartnell version Dr from original transmission, mainly used to watch the Jon Pertwee years and for some reason missed a lot of Patrick Troughton although he is a fav of young miss Mallee. We also have to watch anything that has Patrick in it along with his sons and grandson.

Tom Baker was very good and we rarely missed him, along with Peter Davison. Didn't see much of the Colin Baker years due to work at the time but we have met him a couple of times at the NEC, very charming as is Nicholas Courtney and Katy Manning.

Young Miss mallee has a very good collection which is growing and we are looking forward to the new series.

Great pics there Taffy, looks like typical location weather.

Mallee

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    name='taffy1967']The great thing about Dr Who is that there's so much variety and there are endless possibilities because he can travel anywhere and any time.

If only we could go back in time with a recorder and save all those 'lost' episodes.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='Amethyst_Isle']If only we could go back in time with a recorder and save all those 'lost' episodes.

I don't know if it's a vain hope, but one of the contributors to the ARCHIVE ON 4 edition about the "lost" episodes who is charged with locating them gave the impression he was hot on the trail of something.

Liked
    1 times
    Episode 4 of The Tenth Planet is the most desired one.

I'd like to see Hartnell's Marco Polo story plus complete prints of Troughton's two encounters with the Yeti.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    name='taffy1967']Oh and here's a few snaps I took of the filming that took place a few miles away from me (well Dr Who is made by BBC Wales these days): -

New look Tardis exterior: -

The new Doctor: -

Signing autographs for the fans: -

The new companion: -

Whereabouts were they taken ? obviously Wales but where were they filming those scenes ?

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    We've got some stories from most of the Doctor eras. Just missing the 1999 feature and something with Colin Baker. But the others are represented in the 5 household by at least one story. I can't say there's any method in this although we do have Hartnell's first episodes in the box set 'The Beginning'.

I prefer classic Who to the more recent version although there were some gems in the 2005 series with Christopher Eccleston.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Amethyst_Isle']Whereabouts were they taken ? obviously Wales but where were they filming those scenes ?

Llanwonno Church, which is between Ferndale and Aberdare in the South Wales valley's.

Liked
    0 times
    name='robotoid97']Hi Vlad

My first exposure to Doctor Who was in the 1960's with the Peter Cushing films , then later on I saw the Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker's Doctors. The first time I saw a regeneration which was Jon Pertwee changing to Tom Baker I recall saying to myself; Hello Hello Hello , what’s all this now? This was because both films were non canon and Dr Who was actually Peter Cushing’s name in the film w/ no reference to timelords , regenerations , etc.

If you are new to the show I would suggest that you start from the beginning w/ William Hartnell and work your way up as there is so much lore associated w/ doctor who it may become difficult to follow.

Many of the episodes are available on VHS or DVD & I would also suggest getting the recons (reconstructed episodes of the ones destroyed or lost by the BBC) as they fill the empty void in nicely.

If you need or want to swap anything in horror ,sci-fi , etc please feel free to contact me by pm and I would be happy to help you out or try to point you in the right direction...

Anton

God how could I have forgotten about the two 1960's Peter Cushing Dalek movies. I went to see them at least twice in my local cinema when they got repeat back to back showings during the 1970's. The metal pepper pots frightened the life out of me back then.

Peter Cushing played the part well and put his own mark on it. The stories were based on the first 2 TV Dalek adventures. But instead of being in black & White (as Dr Who was on TV around that time), the films were in glorious technicolour and widescreen. So everyone got to see the Daleks in colour for the first time.

They were made around the mid 1960's (1965 & 1966), so no regeneration story had taken place at that point. Plus the Timelords didn't get a mention until Pat Troughton's final story in 1969.

Anyway I can remember watching both these films on the TV as a kid and it was the first taste of 1960's Dr Who that we had back then. Plus they were the first 2 Dr Who video's I bought, before starting on the series itself.

Senior Member Country: United States robotoid97's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='taffy1967']God how could I have forgotten about the two 1960's Peter Cushing Dalek movies. I went to see them at least twice in my local cinema when they got repeat back to back showings during the 1970's. The metal pepper pots frightened the life out of me back then.

Peter Cushing played the part well and put his own mark on it. The stories were based on the first 2 TV Dalek adventures. But instead of being in black & White (as Dr Who was on TV around that time), the films were in glorious technicolour and widescreen. So everyone got to see the Daleks in colour for the first time.

They were made around the mid 1960's (1965 & 1966), so no regeneration story had taken place at that point. Plus the Timelords didn't get a mention until Pat Troughton's final story in 1969.

Ah Thats correct & I completely forgot that when I saw the films in the 60's William Hartnell was still the doctor on television so regeneration and timelords were not part of the storyline yet. It's too bad I did not start watching the shows with Hartnel & Troughton and instead started watching when Jon Pertwee became the doctor (It would have caused alot less confusion back then)

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Vlad Orlok']I am a horror/sci-fi collector with some experience, but i am a complete virgin to Dr. Who. I haven't even seen a single show...

Personally I'd start out with old fan favorites like:

"Talons of Weng Chiang"

"Genesis of the Daleks"

"The Deadly Assasin"

"City of Death"

"Inferno"

"Caves of Androzani"

And from the new series I'd recommend:

The Paul Cornell stories ("Fathers Day" and "Human Nature/Family of Blood")

The Steven Moffat stories ("Girl in the Fireplace," "Blink," "Empty Child/Doctor Dances," "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead")

Then go back and watch everything else.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    name='Tonch']Welcome Jan.

Before you plunge into the "Whoniverse", a quick roundup of what's ahead of you may prove helpful? And with that in mind....

Back in the 60's and early 70's I loved "Doctor Who", for a while whilst growing up I became aware of the uncanny parallells each Doctor seemed to have with the UK Prime Minister of the day....

1. Dr Who: William Hartnell 1963-1966 White haired avuncular old gentleman who could be a bit crabby."Replaced" briefly on the big screen by scrawny, posh old duffer Peter Cushing. Too young to remember him myself.

PM: Harold MacMillan 1957-1964 White haired avuncular old gentleman who could be a bit crabby. Replaced on the world stage by posh old duffer Alec Douglas-Home. Too young to remember him myself

2. Dr Who: Patrick Troughton 1966-1969 Cheeky chappie, younger than his predecessor, played a musical pipe and sometimes wore a fur coat. Had a haircut like the Beatles. The first Dr Who I clearly remember.

PM: Harold Wilson 1964-1970 Cheeky chappie, younger than his predecessor, smoked a pipe and sometimes wore a raincoat. Gave MBEs to the Beatles. The first PM I clearly remember.

3. Dr Who: Jon Pertwee 1970-1974 Earthbound Dr with plummy voice, white hair and prominent nose, liked fast cars. Dealt a lot with military people (the Brigadier etc)

PM: Edward Heath 1970-1974 Hidebound PM with plummy voice, white hair and prominent nose, liked fast boats. Dealt a lot with military people (the Troubles in Northern Ireland etc)

There was a brief stint (on stage) by an actor called Trevor Martin as the Doctor, and there was a brief stint as PM by James Callaghan but in both cases it all ended in tears before the arrival of..

4. Dr Who: Tom Baker 1974-1981 The longest serving Dr, waved his scarf about and grumbled about "E-Space". Had a faithful robot dog.To many people he was the definitive version, to others he was all hair and teeth and plain bonkers

PM: Margaret Thatcher 1979-1990 The longest serving PM, waved her handbag about and grumbled about "EU". Had a faithful robot cabinet. To many people she was the definitive version, to others she was all hair and teeth and plain bonkers

5. Dr Who: Peter Davison 1982-1984 Comparatively bland, timid, cricket loving bore

PM: John Major 1990-1997 Comparatively bland, timid, cricket loving bore

After that the parallells seem to unravel somewhat, the remaining Doctors being:

6. Colin Baker 1984-1986 Bombastic loudmouth with garish, multicoloured costume

7. Sylvester McCoy 1987-1989 Mercurial, twittering little clown with a brolly and straw hat

8. Paul McGann 1996 One hit (?) wonder with long hair and Edwardian clothing appeared in a TV movie version

9. Christopher Eccleston 2005 First of the "new" Doctors, looked and sounded like a Mancunian mini cab driver - nowhere near "Doctor-ish" enough

10. David Tennant 2005 - 2009 Funny, hyper-manic skinny geek, big improvement on his predecessor IMO

11. Matt Smith 2010 - Unless you have your own TARDIS you can't yet know if he'll prove to be any good. The new Doctor should always be given a chance I suppose, but seems too young to me.

Best for me (by a mile) was Pertwee. Worst was Davison (v. good actor, but poor Doctor - too young, "normal" and drippy). Just my opinion of course - others will have the opposite view no doubt.

There you have it, a potted socio-political history of saturday teatimes in Britain in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. "WHO" said this forum's not educational?!

An excellent piece of work, Tonch. A good read.

As for Matt Smith being too young - it seems to be a trend in TV and in films that all heroes have to be young and more or less poster-on-wallable (of course it's a word!) these days. If Catweazle was remade, he's be played by someone younger and, in modern parlance, "fitter" than Geoffrey Bayldon. All TV heroes must be boyfriend/cool mate material; nobody wants to risk a "father", "mentor", "grandfather", "strange uncle" figure any more.

Smith may be excellent, but he's indicative of a situation.

Liked
    0 times
    Well if that's the case with Catweazle, who'd play Worzel Gummidge today?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Like the original poster I was until very recently a Doctor Who virgin. A friend lent me a choice select few of his DVDs, ones he thinks would be a good intro to the series. He lent me the following:

Hartnell Years: An Unearthly Child, The Daleks and The Edge of Destruction

Tom Baker Years: Genesis of the Daleks, City of Death and The Talons of Weng-Chiang

I decided to watch the episodes I have chronologically and so far I have only the watched the first episode from An Unearthly Child. I enjoyed this tremendously and can't wait to watch the rest.

Glad I'm no longer a DW virgin!

Liked
    1 times
    name='Remy']Hartnell Years: An Unearthly Child, The Daleks and The Edge of Destruction

Edge Of Destruction (Inside The Spaceship) is outright creepy in parts. One of my favourite Hartnell stories.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='vincenzo']Edge Of Destruction (Inside The Spaceship) is outright creepy in parts. One of my favourite Hartnell stories.

The only story to be set entirely within the TARDIS ("the Ship"!), apart from the very last scene, and to feature only the regular cast. The TARDIS set looks fantastic in this one - apart, perhaps, for the label on the "quick return" switch!

Liked
    1 times
    It also has good acting. Something that seems to be secondary in more recent times. A shame that the following story (Marco Polo) is completely missing.

Hartnell and his original 3 companions were my favourite Dr Who 'group'. Something warm and comfortable in the way they bonded.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast