Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I think after this one, William Hartnell softened his characterisation of the Doctor. As you say, vincenzo, it's a shame the next story is gone as it would have been interesting to see how that change in performance developed: it's difficult to determine from the audios that survive.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    The final speech he makes to Susan when he leaves her behind on earth in The Dalek Invasion Of Earth is brilliant and deeply moving. The expressions on the faces of the two teachers (neither of whom speak during that scene) only adds to the emotion.

Next to the wordless goodbye between Pertwee & Jo in The Green Death I think it's the most brilliantly played scene in Dr Who.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    name='vincenzo']It also has good acting. Something that seems to be secondary in more recent times. A shame that the following story (Marco Polo) is completely missing.
    Not quite completely missing, the soundtrack survives of course, although the sound is poor in places. It's a an amazing story and the music is stunning. The guest stars include Mark Eden and Derren Nesbitt.

Marco Polo is my most wanted lost story. It's on CD with bonus mp3s of all episodes without narration.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Trevor']Not quite completely missing, the soundtrack survives of course, although the sound is poor in places. It's a an amazing story and the music is stunning. The guest stars include Mark Eden and Derren Nesbitt.

Marco Polo is my most wanted lost story. It's on CD with bonus mp3s of all episodes without narration.

Marco Polo is, of course, the only colour 1960s Doctor Who story. The telesnaps make it look rather magnificent, even if it was filmed in a studio about the size of my bathroom....

Liked
    182 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Marco Polo is, of course, the only colour 1960s Doctor Who story. The telesnaps make it look rather magnificent, even if it was filmed in a studio about the size of my bathroom....

Well, it's only colour insofar as the photos were taken in colour! It's interesting to see that notwithstanding the serial was made in black and white, the costumes and sets were made as if the thing was going to be in colour.

And if I'm really being pedantic, I think the only colour 1960s story is "Spearhead from Space", which although broadcast from 3rd January 1970 onwards, was made in 1969.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Trevor']Not quite completely missing, the soundtrack survives of course, although the sound is poor in places.

I meant missing regarding footage. The only story from seasons 1 & 2 where not one episode survives. At least The Crusade and The Reign Of Terror are partially complete.

I'd like to see the complete Celestial Toymaker. If only for Michael Gough.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Gerald Lovell']Well, it's only colour insofar as the photos were taken in colour! It's interesting to see that notwithstanding the serial was made in black and white, the costumes and sets were made as if the thing was going to be in colour.

And if I'm really being pedantic, I think the only colour 1960s story is "Spearhead from Space", which although broadcast from 3rd January 1970 onwards, was made in 1969.

Yes, although it was recorded using 16mm film instead of 2" video tape like all the other Who stories. (One of the main reasons why it still survives in it's original colour form, because there was no tape to wipe).

Liked
    0 times
    name='vincenzo']I meant missing regarding footage. The only story from seasons 1 & 2 where not one episode survives. At least The Crusade and The Reign Of Terror are partially complete.

I'd like to see the complete Celestial Toymaker. If only for Michael Gough.

Well if they find a way of getting the price down, they may animate those stories like they did for the missing 2 episodes of 'The Invasion' (1968).

Liked
    0 times
    name='vincenzo']It also has good acting. Something that seems to be secondary in more recent times. A shame that the following story (Marco Polo) is completely missing.

Hartnell and his original 3 companions were my favourite Dr Who 'group'. Something warm and comfortable in the way they bonded.

Last night we watched our Dr Who DVD 'The Keys Of Marinus' for the first time. Well it takes some effort to tear the kids away from their playstation 3 and force them to watch a black & white story from 1964.

Anyway the picture and sound quality was amazing as ever with these restored discs and we watched the whole 6 parts in one go because it was so enjoyable.

The release itself was pretty basic and unlike most Who releases, it had few extras. The main feature was an interview with Raymond Cusick and he described the story as being unloved and he also said that he nothing good to say about it.

I was gobsmacked, because it's an excellent story. Okay the sets varied in quality and it may have lacked a big budget, but both our kids watched it all and said it was great. (Even our 15 month old baby girl watched some of it, even though she much prefers seeing the Daleks).

Liked
    1 times
    I only have The Keys Of Marinus on VHS (together with the surviving complete stories of the first 10 years of Dr Who) and I thorougly enjoy it. Seems to get mixed reviews but I found it entertaining.

The worst Hartnell story for me is The Gunfighters.

Liked
    182 times
    I don't mind "The Gunfighters", accepting it as a comedy. I'd rather watch it than "The Ark", for example!

Liked
    492 times
    name='Gerald Lovell']I don't mind "The Gunfighters", accepting it as a comedy. I'd rather watch it than "The Ark", for example!

Episode 2 of The Ark has the best cliffhanger in the whole of Old Who!

Liked
    182 times
    name='CaptainWaggett'] Episode 2 of The Ark has the best cliffhanger in the whole of Old Who!

Surely not!! It is quite a good cliffhanger, but the rest of the story, eg the Commander's acting, the Guardians' costumes, the Monoid costumes and Beatle wigs, just leave me cold.

Liked
    492 times
    name='Gerald Lovell']Surely not!! It is quite a good cliffhanger, but the rest of the story, eg the Commander's acting, the Guardians' costumes, the Monoid costumes and Beatle wigs, just leave me cold.

You don't like the Monoids?

Liked
    1 times
    name='CaptainWaggett'] You don't like the Monoids? [/IMG]

They're a bit of an eyesore really.

I quite enjoyed The Ark. The Web Planet wasn't bad either apart from the irritating Menoptera noises which sounded like Bonnie Langford on helium (sorry Bonnie).

Liked
    182 times
    name='CaptainWaggett'] You don't like the Monoids?

I put talc on them wherever I get them.

I quite like The Web Planet, with its eerie settings emphasised by the vaseline on the camera lenses.

I remember John Scott Martin being interviewed and saying that playing a Zarbi was like walking around with a wardrobe on your back!

Liked
    0 times
    The Gunfighters was an odd story because it didn't appeal to Dr Who or sci-fi fans as it was a western and it didn't appeal to fans of cowboy films because it was a science fiction series.

It's still good fun to watch, even though the original ratings were poor.

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett'] Episode 2 of The Ark has the best cliffhanger in the whole of Old Who!

End of Part 1 of 'Remembrance Of The Daleks' (1988) is my favourite cliffhanger, because we get to see a Dalek chase the Doctor up the stairs for the first time ever.

Even if Russell T Davies likes to think he achieved that accolade first.

Liked
    1 times
    name='taffy1967']The Gunfighters was an odd story because it didn't appeal to Dr Who or sci-fi fans as it was a western and it didn't appeal to fans of cowboy films because it was a science fiction series.

That Lynda Baron ballad drives me up the wall.

"So come, you coyotes, and howl at the moon

till there's blood upon the sawdust in the Last Chance Saloon
    "

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='vincenzo']I only have The Keys Of Marinus on VHS (together with the surviving complete stories of the first 10 years of Dr Who) and I thorougly enjoy it. Seems to get mixed reviews but I found it entertaining.

One of my favorite Hartnell era adventures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123