Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Country: Denmark
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello from Denmark

I am a horror/sci-fi collector with some experience, but i am a complete virgin to Dr. Who. I haven't even seen a single show... And still i am planning to begin to collect this series, since everything i have heard about it fits perfectly in with my taste. But from what i have heard and read, it is extremely difficult to collect this, because so many episodes are lost or just extremely rare.

So right now i hope to get some advices where i can begin to buy or trade what? I would be extremely happy if i could start chronologically and for example get all the existing episodes of season 1. Could someone please tell me which episodes are missing?

I prefer to trade, but i am also willing to buy from some web-shop, or cheap from a collector...in a couple of months that is...

If we are dealing with a trade, i can tell that i recently have begun to collect samurai movies, but i am mainly dealing with classic horror and sci-fi from USA, England, Mexico, Spain and Italy. I have tons of small collections and three quite large ones. I believe that my Vincent Price and Bela Lugosi collections are the largest in the world, while my Hammer collection isn't, just up there somewhere with 180 titles...

Greetings from Copenhagen

Jan

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    Hi Jan,greetings from Cornwall.Have a look here....

BBC - Doctor Who - Classic Series - Episode Guide - First Doctor Index

...this is the first series and links on to others.

regards,Frame.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    By about the end of 2011 all surviving Doctor Who will be legitimately available on dvd or cd (for the episodes that that only survive as audios). If you really can't wait for the dvds, it's all been released on video. I'm not aware of any rare episodes though unless one believes that there are collectors who own officially lost stories (in which case they're unlikely to advertise that fact here!)

This excellent package is where you should start. The next story (Marco Polo) is available only on cd.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Beginning-Unearthly-Destruction/dp/B000C6EMTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1260774258&sr=8-1]Doctor Who - The Beginning An Unearthly Child 1963 / The Daleks 1963 / The Edge of Destruction 1964 DVD: Amazon.co.uk: William Hartnell, Carole Ann Ford, Jacqueline Hill, William Russell, Waris Hussein, Richard Martin, Christopher Barry, Frank Cox: D[/ame]

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Just ignore the recent stuff and you will be fine. Jon Pertwee is my fav Who period. Access to Usenet could be useful to you

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    The best vintage of WHO in my opinion is up to and including "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" (1977).

Liked
    492 times
    name='Harbottle']Just ignore the recent stuff and you will be fine. Jon Pertwee is my fav Who period. Access to Usenet could be useful to you

Don't listen to Harbottle The new stuff is marvellous (unlike more or less everything from the 1980s )

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    William Hartnell is my favourite.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Tom Baker for me.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Patrick Troughton is my man, even though Hartnell was the first Doctor I saw. It's an outrage that Troughton's era is least represented in the archives. I think there's a programme about the junking of WHO episodes (euphemistically called "The Lost Episodes") on R4 on Boxing Day that might be worth a listen.

Liked
    1 times
    Even though mostly AWOL from the BBC archives I fully agree that Troughton was an excellent Doctor. The first one I saw on TV was Jon Pertwee who would also be among my faves. Tom Baker started out well but I felt the scripts lost the plot during the early 80's.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i don't understand 'dr whos' popularity?? i liked the tom baker 'dr who' as a small child but soon grew up to realise how poor the programme was and think the new 'dr who' is even worse! i liken it to a joke in a christmas cracker-something that should have been put to bed years ago but what people put up with because it's a tradition!

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Welcome Jan.

Before you plunge into the "Whoniverse", a quick roundup of what's ahead of you may prove helpful? And with that in mind....

Back in the 60's and early 70's I loved "Doctor Who", for a while whilst growing up I became aware of the uncanny parallells each Doctor seemed to have with the UK Prime Minister of the day....

1. Dr Who: William Hartnell 1963-1966 White haired avuncular old gentleman who could be a bit crabby."Replaced" briefly on the big screen by scrawny, posh old duffer Peter Cushing. Too young to remember him myself.

PM: Harold MacMillan 1957-1964 White haired avuncular old gentleman who could be a bit crabby. Replaced on the world stage by posh old duffer Alec Douglas-Home. Too young to remember him myself

2. Dr Who: Patrick Troughton 1966-1969 Cheeky chappie, younger than his predecessor, played a musical pipe and sometimes wore a fur coat. Had a haircut like the Beatles. The first Dr Who I clearly remember.

PM: Harold Wilson 1964-1970 Cheeky chappie, younger than his predecessor, smoked a pipe and sometimes wore a raincoat. Gave MBEs to the Beatles. The first PM I clearly remember.

3. Dr Who: Jon Pertwee 1970-1974 Earthbound Dr with plummy voice, white hair and prominent nose, liked fast cars. Dealt a lot with military people (the Brigadier etc)

PM: Edward Heath 1970-1974 Hidebound PM with plummy voice, white hair and prominent nose, liked fast boats. Dealt a lot with military people (the Troubles in Northern Ireland etc)

There was a brief stint (on stage) by an actor called Trevor Martin as the Doctor, and there was a brief stint as PM by James Callaghan but in both cases it all ended in tears before the arrival of..

4. Dr Who: Tom Baker 1974-1981 The longest serving Dr, waved his scarf about and grumbled about "E-Space". Had a faithful robot dog.To many people he was the definitive version, to others he was all hair and teeth and plain bonkers

PM: Margaret Thatcher 1979-1990 The longest serving PM, waved her handbag about and grumbled about "EU". Had a faithful robot cabinet. To many people she was the definitive version, to others she was all hair and teeth and plain bonkers

5. Dr Who: Peter Davison 1982-1984 Comparatively bland, timid, cricket loving bore

PM: John Major 1990-1997 Comparatively bland, timid, cricket loving bore

After that the parallells seem to unravel somewhat, the remaining Doctors being:

6. Colin Baker 1984-1986 Bombastic loudmouth with garish, multicoloured costume

7. Sylvester McCoy 1987-1989 Mercurial, twittering little clown with a brolly and straw hat

8. Paul McGann 1996 One hit (?) wonder with long hair and Edwardian clothing appeared in a TV movie version

9. Christopher Eccleston 2005 First of the "new" Doctors, looked and sounded like a Mancunian mini cab driver - nowhere near "Doctor-ish" enough

10. David Tennant 2005 - 2009 Funny, hyper-manic skinny geek, big improvement on his predecessor IMO

11. Matt Smith 2010 - Unless you have your own TARDIS you can't yet know if he'll prove to be any good. The new Doctor should always be given a chance I suppose, but seems too young to me.

Best for me (by a mile) was Pertwee. Worst was Davison (v. good actor, but poor Doctor - too young, "normal" and drippy). Just my opinion of course - others will have the opposite view no doubt.

There you have it, a potted socio-political history of saturday teatimes in Britain in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. "WHO" said this forum's not educational?!

Liked
    492 times
    name='Tonch']11. Matt Smith 2010 - Unless you have your own TARDIS you can't yet know if he'll prove to be any good. The new Doctor should always be given a chance I suppose, but seems too young to me.

Coincidentally I was in a theatre bar on Saturday and my companion and I were the only people to recognise Matt Smith (who was proudly showing off a Blue Peter badge to some chums). My suspicion is that he'll be excellent (having seen him in a couple of plays and a bit of telly) but then contraversially I tend to assume that the current production team know what they're doing

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    I like Jon Pertwee. PBS used to regularly re-run the show on tv in the 1970's and 1980's.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I only ever liked the first 4 Doctors after that it all went downhill I must say I loved the character of Brig Lethbridge Stewart played by Nicholas Courtney

Liked
    0 times
    The great thing about Dr Who is that there's so much variety and there are endless possibilities because he can travel anywhere and any time.

Okay I watched most of the Jon Pertwee era (loved his companion Jo Grant and I still have a crush on her) and although it took a little time, I also adored Tom Bakers era. Or at least until Mary Whitehouse had her way and the horror element got toned down.

So after 1978 I wasn't quite as paranoid about missing an episode and after Tom Baker left I simply stopped watching. But I have to say that I got addicted big time and became a born again Whovian after seeing a Dalek chase Sylvester McCoy up the stairs in the 1988 Dalek adventure 'Remembrance Of The Daleks'.

From that point on I was hooked, got very depressed when the show was axed in 1990 (just as depressed when I heard how much classic stuff was missing from the archives), but I continued to collect the video's and now I'm collecting all the DVD's.

I wasn't a fan of the 1980's era as such, but I've now seen them all and there are some good stories there and to be honest, most eras had the odd turkey (bad story) and yet every story has at least something good about it.

I do like the new series and David Tennant is going to be tough to replace because he's made the show his own, much like Tom Baker did in the 1970's.

Okay some stories weren't that good, but some were and some were out of this world. But that's Dr Who and there's something for everyone.

But I do tend to watch the original/classic series on DVD more than the new series. Probably because the BBC restoration team do such a fantastic job of providing the stories in the highest quality possible. You don't seem to notice with the later episodes, but what exists of the 1960's is a joy to watch on DVD and light years ahead of the old fuzzy video releases.

Anyway I've probably bored you all to tears now, but if I was just starting to collect Dr Who then I'd probably chose the best stories from each era and then take it from there.

But even that's a tough choice because what might be my favourite story, may not appeal to others as we're all different and have unique tastes.

Anyway off the top of my head, I'd recommend that Beginning boxset as shown above for the 1st Doctor (William Hartnell) because their cracking stories and you get to see the first encounter with the Daleks, although I love the contemporary 1966 story 'The War Machines' too and I've even named my pc 'WOTAN' after the evil computer that resided in the then new Post Office Tower (now the BT Tower).

For the Patrick Troughton era (or what exists from the 2nd Doctors line-up), you can't really go wrong. I love 'The Mind Robber', 'The Seeds Of Death' and the 10 part extravaganza that is 'The War Games'. But 'The Invasion' is fantastic as they substituted the 2 missing episodes from that story with animated replacements and their awesome. Oh and how could I forget 'The Tomb Of The Cybermen' which for years was the holy grail of Dr Who until it was discovered in Hong Kong back in 1992. Some wish it was still missing and retained the holy grail status, but I'm glad it's available because it's a great story.

For the Jon Pertwee 3rd Doctor era I can't recommend the frightfest story that is 'Interno' enough. But you might want to start off with 'Spearhead From Space' as it follows on from 'The War Games' (Troughton's finale). 'Carnival Of Monster's' and 'The Green Death' are also highly recommended as is 'The Time Warrior'. I also like 'The Claws Of Axos' even if it's not to everyone's taste.

For the Tom Baker 4th Doctor era there's too many to chose from, but you can't go wrong with 'The Robots Of Death' or 'The Ark In Space' to get you going. 'Pyramids Of Mars' and 'The City Of Death' are another two that you can't go wrong with. Or just toss a coin and select whatever is currently available, because Tom Baker is a joy to see and hear.

For the rest, well I love Peter Davison's 5th Doctor final story 'The Caves Of Androzanni' even if the monster is a bit rubbish. But that doesn't spoil what is an amazing story that's well executed by everyone involved. 'Earthshock' is another classic and it features the Cybermen who are well represented for the first time in years.

Poor Colin Baker's 6th Doctor wasn't around long, so I guess 'Vengeance On Varos' would be a good place to start.

As for Sylvester McCoy's 7th Doctor, you can't go wrong with 'Remembrance Of The Daleks' as it was the first time we got to see a Dalek climb the stairs which is something the new series likes to think created first. But we all saw it occur back in late 1988 and this story has lots of connections to the first ever Dr Who story, such as the place where a Dalek is hidden just happens to be the place where the 1st Doctor had kept his Tardis parked only the day before (i.e. the 'I.M. Foreman' junkyard). There's more, but I won't bore you.

The 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) only got the one TV movie which is very Americanised and sometimes you think you're watching an episode of Cagney & Lacey. But Paul McGann does a good job nevertheless.

As for the new series, well there's more hits than misses and most of the hits come from the David Tennant 10th Doctor era with the most child unfriendly (i.e. frightening) story being 'Blink'. But there is also some good stories from Christopher Ecclestones 9th Doctor single season too.

But other David Tennant favourites of mine are 'Rise Of The Cybermen'/'The Age Of Steel', 'Doomsday' (where the Daleks and Cybermen finally meet up after over 40 years and no they don't get on. 'Human Nature'/'The Family Of Blood' is a cracking story that was originally a spin-off Dr Who novel from the early 1990's.

Anyway good luck and like I said, there is so much variety with Dr Who that you can never really get tired of it and even some of the era's that you didn't like or didn't watch can also surprise you by how good they are.

Either way there isn't a great deal of top quality TV being shown in the UK now, but thank God we've still got Dr Who.

Liked
    0 times
    Oh and here's a few snaps I took of the filming that took place a few miles away from me (well Dr Who is made by BBC Wales these days): -

New look Tardis exterior: -

The new Doctor: -

Signing autographs for the fans: -

The new companion: -

Liked
    0 times
    And finally here's my old Dalek stamp: -

Liked
    1 times
    Some great pics there Taffy.

My all time favourite Dr Who story is The Three Doctors. Sad to think that this trio of great actors are gone now.

Liked
    0 times
    I started off by getting all the David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston discs and then got hold of a couple of discs of William Hartnell and decided I had to get more of the early years. In spite of the constraints of a shoe-string budget, these old episodes stand up quite well. "The Edge of Destruction" is an amazing piece, showing how much can be done with virtually nothing. I still have a couple of the Hartnell discs to get, and I'm not sure if I'll get any more of the Doctors once I have all of his available episodes - so many other things to buy, and only so much money to spread around...............

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast