Thread: Cocoon question

Member Country: New Zealand
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's one for the music experts.

For a long time I have wanted to know what a particular tune is that was used in the soundtrack to the wonderful 1985 film Cocoon (directed by Ron Howard). It is first heard when the three main characters (Ameche, Cronin and Brimley) are first seen heading nextdoor through the fence to swim in the pool. It's a swing tune, with no lyrics heard, and sound like an original 1940's tune, perhaps by Tommy Dorsey or such. It crops up again through the film in places.

Does anyone know what the tune is please? It's been bugging me every time I watch the DVD. Was it perhaps written by James Horner for the soundtrack or is it a genuine old piece?

Thanks.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Dave, I think you might find it's "The Boys Are Back" - composed by James Horner, orchestrated by Billy May.

I'm trying to find a wmv of it, but no luck as yet!

Senior Member Country: UK frame69's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    This one?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmpLx6UcynY"]YouTube- James Horner - Theme from Cocoon[/ame]

Frame.

Liked
    0 times
    Shirlgirl, thanks. Maybe that's why I cannot find it on any old swing albums.

Frame69, no that's the main heme by James Horner. I'm talking about some 1930's or 40's style big band swing music, used as incidental music.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    name='Dave Homewood']Shirlgirl, thanks. Maybe that's why I cannot find it on any old swing albums.

Frame69, no that's the main heme by James Horner. I'm talking about some 1930's or 40's style big band swing music, used as incidental music.

Dave, I know the piece to which you are referring. I believe it was composed by James Horner and he re-used it in *batteries not included. Mr. Horner had a habit of re-using compositions in quite a number of his scores.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Gerald. Mr Horner certainly captured that period feeling with it then.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I know exactly the piece you mean. The whole film has a superb score, it was a shame the sequel was such a stinker.

The movie always makes me think of life after death and hope, even though the scene where Herta Ware dies has to be one of the saddest moments in cinema history, it makes me cry every time.