Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Robin Hood

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Crowe is just so wrong as Robin .... our hero should be all athletic and stuff, not be lumbering about as if his legs are blu-tacked to the Greenwood. Costner's version is OK IMHO and I liked the Bergin version (especially with a bit of Uma Thurman in the mix) but Errol cannot be bettered as Robin.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Windthrop']Blanchett's no spring chicken as Marion either.

Errol Flynn's still the best for me with Todd a close second in the Disney version.

Costner's wasn't bad though Edward Fox was superb in the little seen Bergin version released, quietly, at the same time.

I really liked the Patrick Bergin version though all the reviewers basically took the 'it can't be any good, it's British' line. Jeroen Krabbe made a great villain.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='batman']Crowe is just so wrong as Robin .... our hero should be all athletic and stuff, not be lumbering about as if his legs are blu-tacked to the Greenwood. Costner's version is OK IMHO and I liked the Bergin version (especially with a bit of Uma Thurman in the mix) but Errol cannot be bettered as Robin.
    And have I any enthusiasm for seeing this tired old bugger dragged out of the forest ?

Forsooth, I have none sire.

The notion of Robin being a terrorist would have been really cool though.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']I really liked the Patrick Bergin version though all the reviewers basically took the 'it can't be any good, it's British' line. Jeroen Krabbe made a great villain.

I wonder if they are the same reviewers who are crying out for Alan Rickman after seeing this new version. Fickle bunch, that they are. Eyoop (do you see what I did there? )

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    This wasn't a bad Robin Hood.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8XiFb1WLuE&feature=related]YouTube - Robin Hood 1922 Part 9/16 - Silent Playlist[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    name='orpheum']A film to avoid like the Black plague it seems to me.

I'll drink to that. I'm afraid I'm locked into Richard Todd and Errol Flynn - they were embedded into me as part of my formative years and I don't think there's anything I can or want to do to change that. I have pure tunnel-vision when it comes to this one.

No other Robins need apply!

Liked
    144 times
    Adding that Russel Crow looks like a Gladiator on the poster

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    I'll probably go & see it, even though the trailer looks dull.

I always liked the idea discussed on the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut commentary that Balian (Orlando Bloom) becomes Robin Hood in a proposed sequel after gaining lands called Loxley from Richard The Lionheart.

Liked
    151 times
    Russell Crowe - well, at least he didn't punch Mark Lawson.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-6ZjlGuBU]YouTube - Russell Crowe walks out on BBC Radio 4[/ame]

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times
    Russell Crowe..........Oh no!!!....i think not...... Cant stand the Man....Ill do all I can to avoid this one............

Liked
    0 times
    Only you folks in the UK will be bothered by whatever accent Crowe has as Robin Hood.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    I don't get what the fuss is about his accent? It's like a film set in Roman times, no-one knows what anyone sounded like. How the hell do we know how an archer in Richard the Lionheart's army spoke?

Yes, I get annoyed at modern films where cockneys sound like geordies and as an East Anglian I hate that Wurzels/Momerset accent they give people from Norfolk in TV dramas. But for films set hundreds of years ago I really don't care. Clearly Russell Crowe has adopted a accent to not sound Australian, so that's it what's all the fuss about.

I for one am looking forward to the film. Although I do confess to being a friend of Scott Grimes who plays Will Scarlet

Liked
    144 times
    name='jimw1']Russell Crowe..........Oh no!!!....i think not...... Cant stand the Man....Ill do all I can to avoid this one............

Haven't seen him many times in films but he was very good as inspector Bud White in the excellent Curtis Hanson L.A Confidential....

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='will.15']Only you folks in the UK will be bothered by whatever accent Crowe has as Robin Hood.

Is that because, like Ridley Scott thinks, historical detail doesn't matter? His opinions on historical events are well documented - "we don't know what it was like, because we weren't there".

I suppose there are two ways to approach it. Firstly, if you are making a film about an historical character from the English middle-ages (whether or not you agree that he actually existed is irrelevant), it would be sensible to make sure he had an English accent, as that is most likely what he would have had.

Or, on the other hand, just make a film that tells the story of the times and doesn't worry about details like accents, dress etc. Gladiator was very much in this style and a very good film it is too. (So was Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves). Invictus is a good more recent example of this, with many 'historical' or 'period' innaccuracies throughout the film and Morgan Freeman at times struggling with the SA accent, although it is still (IMO) a very enjoyable film.

Ultimately, from the viewers point of view, it comes down to individual taste as to whether you are a fan of the director/actors or not.

From a personal viewpoint, I am not a fan of Russell Crowe or Cate Blanchett, so I will not be rushing out to watch it. But I'm sure millions will and good luck to it.

Liked
    151 times
    The reviews seem to give it the typical blockbuster 3/5. The main criticism I read is that there's no typical adventure film fun and that it's in the same vein as Gladiator/Braveheart.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Number Six']Is that because, like Ridley Scott thinks, historical detail doesn't matter? His opinions on historical events are well documented - "we don't know what it was like, because we weren't there".
    It's because in most countries he will be dubbed and in Canada and the United States his accent will sound British enough. There was a time when there were actors like Cary Grant and Errol Flynn, another Australian, who sort of sounded English but couldn't be tied to a specific regional accent and no one seemed bothered by it.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    This reminds of the arguments about Costner's accent ..... yet no one mentioned Christian Slater in the same film, who made no attempt to disguise his accent.

Liked
    0 times
    Errol Flynn is immortal as Robin Hood.crowe is an oaf and i will not go and see his films.I hope that this sinks without trace.In this mornings Express i think it is Richard Madely who gives the film a real savaging.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='batman']This reminds of the arguments about Costner's accent ..... yet no one mentioned Christian Slater in the same film, who made no attempt to disguise his accent.

To paraphrase Robert Redford - being the star means they blame you for the films' failings

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I didn't mind Robin Hood:Prince Of Thieves at all,in fact I preferred it to The Adventures Of Robin Hood. At least it was mostly filmed over here and employed British actors,and as far Our Kev's US accent,why should he be subject to such criticism when actors over the years have played British people without disguising their American accents. Eugene Pallette in the Errol Flynn's men in tights,had a broad American accent and he was playing Friar Tuck.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Robin Hood with Russell Crowe.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast