Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Robin Hood

Liked
    151 times
    Ridley Scott to Direct Nottingham

Source: Variety

April 30, 2007

Ridley Scott is set to direct Russell Crowe in the Universal Pictures drama Nottingham, which Brian Grazer is producing for Imagine Entertainment, reports Variety.

Universal earlier bought the spec script by Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris, creators of the Showtime series "Sleeper Cell." Crowe was attached at that time.

Crowe stars as the Sheriff of Nottingham in a revisionist take on the Robin Hood tale, with Nottingham as a noble and brave lawman who labors for a corrupt king and engages in a love triangle with Maid Marion and Robin Hood.

Production will start next year.

Liked
    0 times
    when i saw the heading on this i thought that this was typecasting.Crowe is such a yob that this part would fit him like a glove.Maybe we should make revisionist films of American history.e.g Custer beats the Indians at Little Big Horn,the South wins the civil war,we win the War of Independance,so they have to do what we tell them.The Clantons outdraw Wyatt Earp at the OK Coral.Anyone any other ideas?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='DB7']Ridley Scott to Direct Nottingham

Source: Variety

April 30, 2007

Ridley Scott is set to direct Russell Crowe in the Universal Pictures drama Nottingham, which Brian Grazer is producing for Imagine Entertainment, reports Variety.

Universal earlier bought the spec script by Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris, creators of the Showtime series "Sleeper Cell." Crowe was attached at that time.

Crowe stars as the Sheriff of Nottingham in a revisionist take on the Robin Hood tale, with Nottingham as a noble and brave lawman who labors for a corrupt king and engages in a love triangle with Maid Marion and Robin Hood.

Production will start next year.
    Oh good, more material for Jon Culshaw to use in Dead Ringers when he takes the piss out of Crowe's overacting

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually, this is the predecessor to the non-fiction version of "Warren Commission - The Musical!" Russell Crowe will use this fabulously successful song-and-dance production to move into J. Edgar role (and dresses).

There's a good chance that Russell's project after these will be the live-action version of ELMER FUDD vs. BUGS BUNNY. No word on which of the roles he plays - his recent hairline recessions make him more obvious for Elmer, but those ears won't need a lot of makeup.

Especially he is switches over and does Deputy Dawg instead.

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='orpheum']when i saw the heading on this i thought that this was typecasting.Crowe is such a yob that this part would fit him like a glove.Maybe we should make revisionist films of American history.e.g Custer beats the Indians at Little Big Horn,the South wins the civil war,we win the War of Independance,so they have to do what we tell them.The Clantons outdraw Wyatt Earp at the OK Coral.Anyone any other ideas?

Actually, this doesn't sound unreasonable. The Hood ballads were originally set in the reign of Edward II, in the 1320s. And mediæval brigands were not amiable rogues in green spandex…

Liked
    0 times
    Would be interesting to know whether the writers ever came upon thje novel, "The Sheriff of Nottingham" by Richard Kluger. This is an excellent, expertly-researched book, published in 1992.

Kluger identifies the Sheriff as Philip Mark from Touraine, and portrays him as a very decent man with a conscience. Mark was one of the men who signed the Magna Carta.

Robin Hood sort of appears in the novel, but only fleetingly, and then as a nondescript outlaw. Nothing remotely legendary about him.

The new movie will include a triangle -- Marion involved with both the Sheriff and Robin. That's not in the book. Mark is shown as a happily married man.

Recommended.

Liked
    0 times
    name='AndrewLA']Would be interesting to know whether the writers ever came upon thje novel, "The Sheriff of Nottingham" by Richard Kluger. This is an excellent, expertly-researched book, published in 1992.

Kluger identifies the Sheriff as Philip Mark from Touraine, and portrays him as a very decent man with a conscience. Mark was one of the men who signed the Magna Carta.

Robin Hood sort of appears in the novel, but only fleetingly, and then as a nondescript outlaw. Nothing remotely legendary about him.

The new movie will include a triangle -- Marion involved with both the Sheriff and Robin. That's not in the book. Mark is shown as a happily married man.

Recommended.

OR as Kev would say to Morgan Freeman - "Tonight we will sup with my father in Nattinghammm" - only about 300 miles up the M1 - on horses!!!

I shall now watch Errol Flynn as RH.

Liked
    0 times
    name='silverwhistle']Actually, this doesn't sound unreasonable. The Hood ballads were originally set in the reign of Edward II, in the 1320s. And mediæval brigands were not amiable rogues in green spandex…
    I doubt that there has been one accurate film depicting Robin Hood,principally because so little is really known about him.However as the newspaper editor concludes at the end of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance "When the truth intereferes with the legend print the legend"I am sure that we all prefer the ErroFlynn version of RH>Futhermore no one can surpass Basil Rathbone as the Sheriff of Nottingham

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='orpheum']I doubt that there has been one accurate film depicting Robin Hood,principally because so little is really known about him.However as the newspaper editor concludes at the end of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance "When the truth intereferes with the legend print the legend"I am sure that we all prefer the ErroFlynn version of RH>Futhermore no one can surpass Basil Rathbone as the Sheriff of Nottingham
    If so little is known, how do you know they're not accurate?

But you're right. The chances are very high that they aren't

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK A Pemberton's Avatar
    Liked
    30 times
    name='ChristineCB']Actually, this is the predecessor to the non-fiction version of "Warren Commission - The Musical!" Russell Crowe will use this fabulously successful song-and-dance production to move into J. Edgar role (and dresses).

Why have I missed this film, it looks so good,there are lots of material for musicals that producers have missed ,has anybody considered " Senator McCarthys Senate commision on un-american activities - The Musical"

Liked
    0 times
    name='A Pemberton']Why have I missed this film...?
    AP, I don't know. I keep handing out these great ideas, and yet, oddly enough, Hollywood never shows up with truckloads of money for my next one!

For this one, I think the Committee's name was actually HUAC (House Unamerican Activities Committee), and "HuAc" should be a fairly easy rhyme for Andrew Lloyd Weber, Mel Brooks or the other greats of Broadway songwriters.

And I can't forget the early '50s Kefauver Commission, another American Congressional committee investigating the never-existed Mafia at the behest of J. Edgar "Pass Me That Poodle Skirt & Pink Fuzzy Sweater" Hoover.

That musical alone could be highlighted by FBI agents and newsreel cameramen infiltrating a Catskills area resort. Along with closets full of cute get-ups for a certain pudgy American supercop. Or two. (I hear they always travel in two's...)

Kick, kick, turn, kick... boom shakalaka, boom shakalaka...

And personally, if they don't dress all of Nottingham's males in tight green lycra, I'll be SO disappointed...

Say, didn't the PHONAK Cycling Team pitch it in this season? They're bound to have a bunch of lime-green tights laying around... a clever wardrobe buyer could probably get them for a, uh, song.

So to speak... boomshakalaka, boomshakalaka...

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='orpheum']I doubt that there has been one accurate film depicting Robin Hood,principally because so little is really known about him.

They could at least stick to the original literary source, the ballads, which are set in the Forest of Barnsdale (W Yorks).

However as the newspaper editor concludes at the end of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance "When the truth intereferes with the legend print the legend"

As a historian, that makes me homicidal. It takes a lot of work to clear up the mess that "printing the legend" causes. Truth (or, at any rate, as near as we can aspire to get to it) first, last and always.

I am sure that we all prefer the Errol Flynn version of RH>Futhermore no one can surpass Basil Rathbone as the Sheriff of Nottingham

Um… No, "we all" don't. And Basil played Guy of Gisborne, not the Sheriff. He was vastly sexier (and a better fencer) than Flynn.

Robin and Marion was a better film, and (given the 12C setting) had the best ever screen Richard I in Richard Harris.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes i stand corrected it was melville Cooper who was the Sheriff of Nottingham.Oh what a sad life you academics must lead.Going to the cinema to see the latest historical epic and then sitting there and gnashing your teeth at the historical bloomers and anachronisms..The cinema is about entertainment and accuracy is always likely to take a back seat to this whether or not you like it.

Liked
    0 times
    name='orpheum']Oh what a sad life you academics must lead.
    That's why I laughed out-loud at the Warner Brothers' threats to release their "Cult Classic Vol. 4 - Historicals". I could just see some Silver type, head on desk, rolling back and forth, moaning.

Fortunately, some of those DVDs' audiences will be doing the same.

I did stop by one of our local cycle shops, and they do have a collection of PHONAK bibs and shorts. I think the Merry Men would look awfully cute if they could swing from tree to tree in those. "Cheap - you can get 'em real cheap," the clerk said.

So, if anyone knows if Russell Crowe's looking for wardrobe ideas, those Phonak shorts would be mighty handy. And the bibs are great for the Little John types with a bit o' gut... we'd all hate to see someone that size swinging on vines and losing his trou...

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    name='orpheum']The cinema is about entertainment and accuracy is always likely to take a back seat to this whether or not you like it.

Cinema being 'about entertainment' is a predominantly Hollywood idea. It's not so in films from other countries (which don't have huge global marketing machines).

Liked
    151 times
    Christian gets tied up in Notts

Christian Bale, soon to be seen as the caped crusader in The Dark Knight, is in talks about donning the jolly Lincoln Green outfit of Robin Hood, where he will be part of a menage a trois between Russell Crowe's Sheriff of Nottingham and Sienna Miller's Maid Marian.

Nothing is signed for Bale, but director Ridley Scott is exceedingly keen to cast him.

Costume fittings begin next week, so he'll be either in or out by then. Vanessa Redgrave and William Hurt are also in discussions about being in the film, which is called Nottingham.

Saoirse Ronan (who appeared with Vanessa in Joe Wright's award-winning film Atonement) will also be in the picture.

If all the casting comes off, it'll be a high-octane ensemble and Scott will be working with a big budget - good news for the British film industry.
    BAZ BAMIGBOYE on Keira Knightley, Christian Bale and Andrea Riseborough and much more... | Mail Online

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    No disrespect to Nottingham or the people of Nottingham,but couldn't they have chosen a better title? It sounds more like a travelogue of the good city?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    151 times
    Robin Hood and the wrong sort of leaves

By Guy Adams in Los Angeles

Wednesday, 30 July 2008

Ridley Scott cancelled filming because the leaves in Sherwood Forest need to be green

For a man who spent his life in Sherwood Forest robbing the rich and giving to the poor, it is a strange excuse: Robin Hood's latest Hollywood outing has been postponed because of a failure to grasp a fundamental of botany.

The director Ridley Scott has pulled the plug on Nottingham, which was due to begin production in the UK in a fortnight's time, after realising the leafy trees providing his backdrop would turn brown with the onset of Autumn, halfway through filming.

A statement from Universal, the studio backing the project with an estimated $100m (�50m), revealed that its stars, Russell Crowe and Sienna Miller, have been informed that filming cannot commence until next spring, at the earliest, since: "The film's forest locations need to be green."

The wrong kind of leaves are not the only problem. Universal said the anticipated Screen Actors Guild strike was a "cloud" hanging over production. Most problematically, the studio is dissatisfied with the script, originally by Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris but re-drafted at the fingertips of the Oscar-winning screenwriter Brian Helgeland. "The current version," Universal said, "is not yet where the studio and the filmmakers want it to be in terms of realising the full value of the story."

It added: "Universal could have moved forward with one of these challenges, but the confluence of the three caused the studio to reconsider and take the time for all conditions to be optimal."

Although Universal says it is still "committed" to putting Nottingham in the cinemas, the announcement of the delay is a blow to film-goers, who have been looking forward to the renewal of Scott's partnership with Crowe since last year.

Nottingham was billed as a revisionary retelling of the Robin Hood story through the eyes of the Sheriff of Nottingham, played sympathetically by Crowe, who would emerge as its eventual hero. Miller was to play Maid Marian, while the Batman star Christian Bale was considered as another confused vigilante: a somewhat un-heroic Robin Hood.

Explaining the plot, Scott said: "Richard the Lionheart is on his return from the Crusades when he takes an arrow in his neck and dies. His brother, John, becomes king. He is actually pretty smart, but he gets a bad rap because he introduces taxation. So he's the bad guy in this."

Crowe's Sheriff of Nottingham was to be King Richard's former right-hand man, who gets torn between his duty towards the unpopular King John and his affinity towards both the English people and Robin Hood. "He is caught between the minority of haves and the majority of have nots," explained Scott.

The delay to filming, which had already been postponed, is a blow for the British film industry, which has worked hard in recent years to attract lucrative big studio productions to the UK.

As to apportioning blame: Hollywood studio executives could, perhaps, be forgiven for failing to realise that Britain's deciduous woodland would become less leafy in winter, since many of their own forests are coniferous. However, the same cannot be said for Scott, who was born and raised in Co Durham.

Liked
    1 times
    Russell Crowe to play Robin Hood and the Sheriff in new film Nottingham - Telegraph

Anyone else thinking that this is a film that doesn't need to be made or seen?

Its been done so many times already - why, Ridley, why?

Liked
    4 times
    name='Marky B']No disrespect to Nottingham or the people of Nottingham,but couldn't they have chosen a better title?

I thought at first it was a sequel to Notting Hill.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast