Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, can anyone remember a film about an insurance investigator played by Peter Vaughan which opens with a Hillman Husky (I think) going over a cliff.........................actually, it's just come to me,.. Smokescreen! I think it may also have been released under a different title though.

Is it available anywhere?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    I don't think so - I was thinking about this film recently as I remember recording it off Channel 4 (I think) in the late 80's, around the time they were showing The Mysteries of Edgar Wallace. Wasn't his nickname 'Ropey'?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Peter Vaughan's character was Roper not 'Ropey' (glad the film wasn't), so you were close!

Smokescreen (1964)

I saw this on ITV, when they used to have their weekday matinees, and remember enjoying it very much. It is a great surprise to see John Carson and Gerald Flood among the cast list - I didn't think I'd seen John until he appeared on DVD, in two episodes of Thriller. Eerily, an actor called David Gregory resurfaces yet again, a week after 'meeting' him in B-movie Rag Doll and spotting his name in another, The Hi-Jackers, while researching Michael Beint's IMDb credits.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    This film gets good coverage in Steve Chibnall's new 'B' film book.....

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks guys. I tried to record it (probably from the very same matinee performance you speak of Cornershop) in the mid to later nineties. Unfortunately, I only got about a third of it and I've never seen the rest! I'm still under the strong impression that it is aka something else,... perhaps Steve Chibnal's book will throw some light on that.

And Corner, I also remember a scene where a Birch tree is felled in front of a lorry so that it can be raided. Would that have been from [B]The Hi- Jackers[B] ?

Liked
    0 times
    Or The Hi-Jackers even

Liked
    151 times
    name='Midwich cuckoo']

And Corner, I also remember a scene where a Birch tree is felled in front of a lorry so that it can be raided. Would that have been from [B]The Hi- Jackers[B] ?

Can't recall it greatly, but wasn't there a staged crash and when the wagon driver stopped they jumped him?

Liked
    0 times
    It was made at Brighton Studios - they didn't make too many films in the early 60s!!!

Really enjoyed this film, and it is long overdue a DVD release.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    The film has some great music too by John Gregory (I Think) and the location filming in Brighton and surrounding area adds interest. There is filming outside The Grand but the inside that is meant to be the Grand does not look like it. Any ideas which hotel it could be?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Great film, great theme tune, great cast, great cinematography, great dialogue, great everything.

Aaaaah, Butchers....