Thread: Oh, Daddy

Liked
    0 times
    This is the last of 5 talkies that the now forgotten but very talented Leslie Henson starred in. He is well cast with veteran comedy stars Robertson Hare and Marie Lohr. This is a very funny movie and worthy of attention and appreciation. Equally good is his the SPORT of KINGS. Worth looking at is his IT'S a BOY.

Rob

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Scenario is by Michael Powell though I don't know how closely involved he was.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett
    Scenario is by Michael Powell though I don't know how closely involved he was.
    Nor do I. Powell was one of 4 writers and I've never seen this film to see who is credited for the writing. If the IMDb is correct then Powell was credited for the screnario (the original story and the basic structure of the story) whereas the other 3 were credited as "writer" or "written by" which usually means the actual details of the script including the dialogue.

It was released in 1935 which was while Powell was learning his craft by directing quota quickies, before his breakthrough film - The Edge of the World. Although there had already been a few articles about him in the fan magazines like this one from Film Weekly in 1931 that Mark found. So he was already being noted as someone to watch out for

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    He definitely gets a credit on screen - it was on telly a few years ago and I remember grabbing a tape when I saw the name (alas I no longer have it). It's quite funny about censorship but I don't remember that much about it (except the snakiness of Ken 'Snakehips' Johnson )

Liked
    0 times
    I suppose these really are obscure films, but I am thankful for the exchange of useful information.

Rob