Senior Member Country: Great Britain CALF28's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been try to find a complete listing for this series, does anyone have or know where I can get it? I have a few and they're good, nice clear prints and well packaged. The company that are releasing them is Magna Pacific, Australian I believe. Some have pictures inside of other titles avaiable but I've never been able to find the complete listing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Liked
    151 times
    Is that the VCI Collection?

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Ive picked up a few of these here & the quality is very good indeed. I only paid

5 or 6 dollars each for them . On the back cover it does state that they are part

of "This essential library of cinema classics" but Ive never seen a complete

collection on sale.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Magna Pacific's own site doesn't seem to list them at all

But looking around other Australian DVD suppliers on the interweb I see a few titles like:

North West Frontier (1958), Ferry To Hong Kong (1958) & King Solomon`s Mines (1937) [Rank Classic Adventure boxed set]

Operation Amsterdam (1959), A Town Like Alice (1956) & The Silver Fleet (1943) [Rank Classic War #2 boxed set]

The Heroes of the Telemark (1965), Malta Story (1953) & Reach for the Sky (1956) [Rank Classic War #4 boxed set]

The Way Ahead (1944), The Flemish Farm (1943) & Appointment With Venus (1951) [Rank Classic War #6 boxed set]

As with most boxed sets, there's usually one that you really like - and so already have a copy of, one that you don't know but might like and one that you've seen once but didn't like

I've bought DVDs on the Magna label before and they've always been of reasonable quality

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    name='Steve Crook']Magna Pacific's own site doesn't seem to list them at all

But looking around other Australian DVD suppliers on the interweb I see a few titles like:

North West Frontier (1958), Ferry To Hong Kong (1958) & King Solomon`s Mines (1937) [Rank Classic Adventure boxed set]

Operation Amsterdam (1959), A Town Like Alice (1956) & The Silver Fleet (1943) [Rank Classic War #2 boxed set]

The Heroes of the Telemark (1965), Malta Story (1953) & Reach for the Sky (1956) [Rank Classic War #4 boxed set]

The Way Ahead (1944), The Flemish Farm (1943) & Appointment With Venus (1951) [Rank Classic War #6 boxed set]

As with most boxed sets, there's usually one that you really like - and so already have a copy of, one that you don't know but might like and one that you've seen once but didn't like

I've bought DVDs on the Magna label before and they've always been of reasonable quality

Steve
    Thanks for that Steve. I did see those box sets and I agree, you might want one title and have all the others on seperate DVDs.

The ones I have are:

BUSH CHRISTMAS 1947

HUNTED 1952

MY BROTHER'S KEEPER 1948

COTAGE TO LET 1941

THE DEMI-PARADISE 1943

BOYS IN BROWN 1949

BANK HOLIDAY 1938

All cost one Australian dollar each except Bank Holiday which was three dollars. BARGAIN!!!!!!

These are so good I would like to get some more if only I could find out what's on offer.

Senior Member Country: UK Brief Encounter's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    They really ought to be issued in the UK...

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I actually picked up for $85 The Silver Screen Collection box set.

Thats 24 discs in 8 dvd cases.

1. Morning Departure, In Which We Serve, We Dive At Dawn.

2. Operation Amsterdam, A Town Like Alice, The Silver Fleet.

3. The Life & death Of Colonel Blimp, The Day Will Dawn, Secret Mission.

4. The Heroes Of Telemark, Reach for the Sky, Malta Story.

5. The Battle Of The River Plate, Above Us The Waves, 49th Parallel.

6. Appointment With Venus, The Flemish Farm, The Way ahead.

7. King Solomon's Mines, North West Frontier, Ferry To Hong Kong.

8. The Intelligence Men, The Magnificent Two, That Riviera Touch.

All distributed by Magna Pacific Pty Ltd.

Liked
    0 times
    name='wadsy']I actually picked up for $85 The Silver Screen Collection box set.

Thats 24 discs in 8 dvd cases.

1. Morning Departure, In Which We Serve, We Dive At Dawn.

2. Operation Amsterdam, A Town Like Alice, The Silver Fleet.

3. The Life & death Of Colonel Blimp, The Day Will Dawn, Secret Mission.

4. The Heroes Of Telemark, Reach for the Sky, Malta Story.

5. The Battle Of The River Plate, Above Us The Waves, 49th Parallel.

6. Appointment With Venus, The Flemish Farm, The Way ahead.

7. King Solomon's Mines, North West Frontier, Ferry To Hong Kong.

8. The Intelligence Men, The Magnificent Two, That Riviera Touch.

All distributed by Magna Pacific Pty Ltd.
    That looks a good set Wadsy. The trouble is with sets is that you already have some of the titles and looking at your set I have most of the titles listed. There's three I haven't got (on commercial DVDs) and a couple I don't want. But a good set to have. It might be more easily available to you being in Australia. The one thing that puzzled me about Magna Pacific was that I couldn't find some of the titles that I already have, so perhaps some have been deleted. That brings another problem about film collecting, the problem of 'shall I buy it now' in case it's deleted. Some of these things have a short life

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='CALF28']That looks a good set Wadsy. The trouble is with sets is that you already have some of the titles and looking at your set I have most of the titles listed. There's three I haven't got (on commercial DVDs) and a couple I don't want. But a good set to have. It might be more easily available to you being in Australia. The one thing that puzzled me about Magna Pacific was that I couldn't find some of the titles that I already have, so perhaps some have been deleted. That brings another problem about film collecting, the problem of 'shall I buy it now' in case it's deleted. Some of these things have a short life
    That's why I have multiple copies of quite a few films. Carlton were particularly sneaky like that. They'd bring out a bare-bones DVD with just the film on it and then a few months later they'd release the same print on DVD but with a short documentary and some other extras

Were those extras good enough to warrant buying another copy? Often they were

Steve