Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    There was a DVD announced...but what happened to it? Can anybody enlighten me with some Infos? Thanks!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It was due for release on May 4th but appears to have been delayed.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I asked Optimum about this and they said they have delayed its release as they are getting the master source cleaned up

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This has been in the top twenty of my wants list for some time, so was very pleased to read the (admittedly surprising) news of an upcoming R1 release posted by Marc Morris on the Cult Movies forum. I'm sure I won't be the only one here grabbing this.

Amazon.com: The Last Grenade: Stanley Baker, Richard Attenborough, Alex Cord, Honor Blackman, Rafer Johnson, Andrew Kier, John Thaw, Julian Glover, Gordon Flemyng: Movies & TV

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Good news, I'm sure this was due for a R2 release a year or two ago, which never materialised.

Liked
    0 times
    I mentioned this here months ago. Optimum are releasing it but have put it back till further notice. When I e mailed them last month they said the print was being cleaned and they dident know when it would be released. Its been on pre order at Amazon for 7 months now. Ill believe it when i see it. Optimum are great at doing this trick so i wouldent get ya hopes up ps thats for the region 2. As for region 1, its Scorpion that are releasing it so i wouldent expect too much from them either

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    name='paul clifton']its Scorpion that are releasing it so i wouldent expect too much from them either

Why do you say that? I know they area new label and have done well with their first releases, in particular Silent Scream for which they made a new HD master from an inter-positive.

Silent Scream

I'm really impressed with this company and am looking forward to their releases. They have Goodbye Gemini and Girly planned for early next year along with Say Hello to Yesterday (1971), Who? (1973) and Power Play (1978) later on.

Liked
    0 times
    I ordered SILENT SCREAM in the Deep Discount sale a month ago, and it still hasn't shown up, so I can't comment on that release, but Scorpion would seem to be a company who are trying to do right.

On the same day as THE LAST GRENADE Scorpion are releasing POWER PLAY and THE INTERNECINE PROJECT; none of these are likely to be big sellers so I guess they were all picked up in a package. I wonder which film was the one they really wanted for them to splash out for all these.

Liked
    0 times
    sorry, my mistake. i got them mixed up with that other company Scimitar. They did some puddings. So sorry Scorpion, Ill take that back until I see Last grenade lol

Liked
    0 times
    I hope its not cut. The version I have has a few. Most noticeable one is where Rafer Johnson gets shot in the river. I remember we had the last 10 mins of this film taped from BBC1 onto V2000 video. I was about 8 years old so it will have been in late 70s. I used to watch the last 10 mins over and over again. Great stuff. When i finally got tosee the whole film last year, well, erm. i was a bit dissapointed lol. Still a canny little action film though and worth having if you want to see Baker as a trooper and some other well known British talent

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Also cut from the version I have on DVD -

The great scene where, in a confrontation in a bar with Alex Cord, mercenary John Thaw says that he wouldn't cross the road to piss on him if he was on fire. (Come to think of it, that entire bar room shoot-out seems 'trimmed'). Let's hope the forthcoming release is completely uncut.

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws

Liked
    0 times
    Yeah pretty sure the bar brawl was cut

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    name='paul clifton']sorry, my mistake. i got them mixed up with that other company Scimitar. They did some puddings. So sorry Scorpion, Ill take that back until I see Last grenade lol

I am guessing you mean Simitar, a US company that released a 1.33:1 ratio version of Royal Hunt of the Sun. Scimitar was the Michael Winner production company that produced, amongst other titles, Scorpio.

Liked
    0 times
    yeah thats the company i meant

Liked
    0 times
    Watched this today. released by Scorpion dvds in US. It states fully restored etc on the box. While the picture is very impressive compared to my old copy it still has the odd line running here and there and the odd blemish so I dont think it was "restored" to a high standard as could have been

. Colour for the most is bright and vibrant. Sound isnt really up to much but again, much better than what im used to with my old copy. Seems to be in its full aspect ratio too with black bars present. All in all, anyone who has wanted to see this film, or like me wants a better copy than what has been available, then you WONT be dissapointed.

Liked
    0 times
    Forgot to mention. this version seems to be fully intact with allswearing and bloody scenes. WOOOHOOOO

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Does it have the scene in the bar where John Thaw states that he wouldn't cross the road to piss on Alex Cord if he was on fire?

If so - it's definitely the uncut version.

Stephen Laws

Liked
    0 times
    DVD Savant review here:

DVD Savant Review: The Last Grenade

Liked
    0 times
    name='Stephen Laws']Does it have the scene in the bar where John Thaw states that he wouldn't cross the road to piss on Alex Cord if he was on fire?

If so - it's definitely the uncut version.

Stephen Laws

Hey

Yep that scene is present. You also hear lots of other sweraring that was cut from the old copy i had. Also lots of bloody scenes of dead soldiers and the shot of Rafer Johnson being shot. All in all very good. one thisng that does annoy me is the music right at the very end of the film when the titles have finished and the music ends. It sounds likke the ending of Terry and June

Liked
    0 times
    There's now an NTSC release available. I've no idea of the quality as there have been no reviews posted yet. Anyway, I just ordered it so I'll put up a note about the quality when it comes in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast