Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I wonder if anyone else remembers a film I saw in a cinema in London in the early 1970`s.I was in London with a friend and we decided to go to the cinema.One cinema was showing The Man with the Golden Gun but we had already seen that and ended up seeing two X films.The first one was rubbish,I only stayed awake by speculating who was going to pair off.There was some sort of plot about someone who had died and they had to find his will and a key.

The other one wasn`t as bad.A woman and her lover were trying to drive her husband mad.He had a fear of roses- which was something to do with when his mother died- and I think it had roses in the title somewhere.

I am not interested in seeing either film again but wondered if anybody else saw them or knows what the films were.

Senior Member Country: Scotland lostintown's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    For some reason, I think that the second one might be Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) . The plot seems about right (except it's the poor Bette Davis that they're trying to send loopy) and there are the roses in the dream/ nightmare sequence.

Liked
    1 times
    No it wasn`t Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte I have seen that before.It was an X rated film that as far as I know has never been on t.v.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    TMWTGG was released in the UK in late December 1974, so you have seen the the films either right at the end of the year, or more likely early 1975. Perhaps cinema listings from the time (if available online) or checking the MFB or maybe FM Speed's Film Review annual (which alas I don't have to hand) would throw up the titles?

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Pastry Time's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Those were the days... 2 films at a screening.

First X double bill I sat in at was Schizo 1976 which was the B picture. It was so good I cant remember what the blasted main film was!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    name='rose ellen']I wonder if anyone else remembers a film I saw in a cinema in London in the early 1970`s.I was in London with a friend and we decided to go to the cinema.One cinema was showing The Man with the Golden Gun but we had already seen that and ended up seeing two X films.The first one was rubbish,I only stayed awake by speculating who was going to pair off.There was some sort of plot about someone who had died and they had to find his will and a key.

The other one wasn`t as bad.A woman and her lover were trying to drive her husband mad.He had a fear of roses- which was something to do with when his mother died- and I think it had roses in the title somewhere.

I am not interested in seeing either film again but wondered if anybody else saw them or knows what the films were.

Rose Ellen; you may not know ther name of the cinema exactly, but it was in Central London? If so, I should be able to get the names in a twinkle, unless of course it was one of those 'licensed' premises

Liked
    0 times
    name='Rick C']Rose Ellen; you may not know ther name of the cinema exactly, but it was in Central London? If so, I should be able to get the names in a twinkle, unless of course it was one of those 'licensed' premises

Rick, can you also call up "in a twinkle" the listings for Wolverhampton Odeon and ABC? I remember most of cinema viewings but there's a couple of films I saw on double-bills back in the mid-late 70's whose titles have escaped me.

Since the OP mentions they were "X" films, presumably they were viweed in a proper cinema. I'm guessing the second film might be an Italian giallo though I can't put my finger on it.

It can be fascinating looking at old cinema listings. I've recently seen some for morning shows here in HK from back in the early 70's, and they include lots of classic Spaghetti Westerns. Incredible! Those were (must have been) the days!

Liked
    1 times
    Thanks to everyone who has tried to help.I did look up films that were released in 1974/5 but couldn`t find it.

I must have seen the films between march 1975 and no later than October.

I can`t remember what part of London it was, but my friend at the time knew people in Stoke Newington and Elephant and Castle so it may have been around those areas, or it may have been near Kings Cross..It was definitely a standard cinema, not "licensed" premises.

It is possible that the second film was a Italian giallo it was in English but could have been dubbed.

Liked
    1 times
    I have remembered a little more about it.

A man with long blond hair and a leather jacket(I think his character was a film producer) handcuffed a girl to a bed(she was willing) and then went out on his motorbike and was killed.He may have been murdered but I am not sure where this fits in with the main plot.

Liked
    23 times
    name='asiamiles']Rick, can you also call up "in a twinkle" the listings for Wolverhampton Odeon and ABC? I remember most of cinema viewings but there's a couple of films I saw on double-bills back in the mid-late 70's whose titles have escaped me.

Since the OP mentions they were "X" films, presumably they were viweed in a proper cinema. I'm guessing the second film might be an Italian giallo though I can't put my finger on it.

It can be fascinating looking at old cinema listings. I've recently seen some for morning shows here in HK from back in the early 70's, and they include lots of classic Spaghetti Westerns. Incredible! Those were (must have been) the days!

Asiamiles, may I PM you save hi-jacking Rose Allen's thread? Can go into more detail then.

Liked
    23 times
    name='rose ellen']I have remembered a little more about it.

A man with long blond hair and a leather jacket(I think his character was a film producer) handcuffed a girl to a bed(she was willing) and then went out on his motorbike and was killed.He may have been murdered but I am not sure where this fits in with the main plot.

Don't panic Rose, we're getting there slowly. I need to get back to my own movie archive stored at my local University, but can't do so until after the Christmas/New Year holidays as it isn't open again yet.

As you can see we have Asiamiles on the job, so be assured we're going contintental on this one!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='Mr Pastry Time']Those were the days... 2 films at a screening.

First X double bill I sat in at was Schizo 1976 which was the B picture. It was so good I cant remember what the blasted main film was!

They certainly were the days! I remember watching 'Frightmare' in '75 and was stunned into silence at the ending..

Liked
    0 times
    Asiamiles, may I PM you save hi-jacking Rose Allen's thread? Can go into more detail then.

Of course! It's strange how many people from/living in Wolverhampton we have on here.

It is possible that the second film was a Italian giallo it was in English but could have been dubbed.

All such films were shown in their English version (remember Italian films are dubbed, whether in English or Italian) just about everywhere outside of their country of origin. Your description of "A man with long blond hair and a leather jacket" somehow conjures up someone more Continental than English...more Ray Lovelock than Robin Askwith.

Liked
    23 times
    name='asiamiles']Of course! It's strange how many people from/living in Wolverhampton we have on here.

All such films were shown in their English version (remember Italian films are dubbed, whether in English or Italian) just about everywhere outside of their country of origin. Your description of "A man with long blond hair and a leather jacket" somehow conjures up someone more Continental than English...more Ray Lovelock than Robin Askwith.

Your quote should read "how many strange people living in Wolverhampton we have here". Actually we are all the same single person, living in different stages of personality disorder

Will PrivateMessage later in the weekend regarding the Odeon/ABC listings.