Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Does anyone know if this 1972 series was ever released commercially, or might have an off air recording of it, or even have an inkling as to whether the Beeb has any plans for an issue? I have fond memories of editing it at a time when we did not have a vhs recorder. Jon Pertwee played the Doc and it was Directed by Christopher Barry.

I'd be very grateful for any information.

Thank you.

Dave

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    It was released on vhs. I believe the BBC have plans to release all old-Who on dvd by the end of 2011 or 2012

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Who-Mutants-Jon-Pertwee/dp/B000087LOO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1262806926&sr=1-2]Dr Who - The Mutants [VHS] [1972]: Jon Pertwee: Amazon.co.uk: Video[/ame]

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes it was released on BBC video in 2003 (I have it here). Very nice print too.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    This is the only Pertwee story I haven't seen all the way through (think I fell asleep lol). Really need to give it another try someday.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Like many of the Pertwee stories the concept and ideas are good, and keep you watching, but the f/x are terrible and it's at least one episode too long.

The underlying concept is about the decline of the empire (the human empire standing in I assume for the british empire) and de-colonialisation. It also has this intersting caterpillar/butterfly idea applies to humanoids over several hundred years.

I would like to see a lot of these stories re-done now by the beeb where they could tighten up the narrative and use some decent f/x.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    The Mutt costumes by James Acheson are brilliant though - as is the film editing by Dave!

Liked
    4 times
    Thank you Capn Waggett and other members for the information about 'The Mutants' series. As it is so long since I have seen it I think that I'll go with the Amazon vhs offer!

Thanks again.

Dave

Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Might be worth doing just that - it's not scheduled for DVD release until next year, Noel Clarke recently said he'd completed the voice-over for the accompanying documentary.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='DaveK']As it is so long since I have seen it I think that I'll go with the Amazon vhs offer!

Interesting sleeve notes on the VHS too.

Liked
    182 times
    I hope Barry Letts was able to do a commentary on "The Mutants", as that one was particularly dear to his heart.

Liked
    0 times
    The great thing about classic Dr Who DVD's is their worked on by a very dedicated team of people. Namely the Restoration Team which I believe is headed by Steve Roberts and much of the work they do is voluntary.

So classic DVD's (especially the early ones) look amazing in comparison to the old VHS releases.

Plus the BBC occasionally give the option to watch the stories with new CGi special effects applied. It doesn't cover all stories, but many have been given this optional extra and some of the results are very good.

But the old CSO effects used during the Jon Pertwee and early? Tom Baker era don't bother me at all, because they were fine in their day and it's the story and actors who make the show what it was and is.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Gerald Lovell']The Mutt costumes by James Acheson are brilliant though - as is the film editing by Dave!

DaveK, I apologize for my "fell asleep" comments. I didn't catch in your original post that you had worked on this particular story (not the first time I've put my foot in my mouth--and probably not the last I fear). The Pertwee years of "Doctor Who" are my all-time favorite. You and the entire production team are to be congratulated for a stunning achievement.

I look forward to seeing "The Mutants"--all the way through this time lol

Liked
    0 times
    Well I'm always wide eyed in awe whenever Jo Grant (Katy Manning) is on screen and considering the BBC budget, everyone did an amazing job on Dr Who.

Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Does anyone know if this 1972 series was ever released commercially, or might have an off air recording of it, or even have an inkling as to whether the Beeb has any plans for an issue? I have fond memories of editing it at a time when we did not have a vhs recorder. Jon Pertwee played the Doc and it was Directed by Christopher Barry.

I'd be very grateful for any information.

Thank you.

Dave
    Dave, you may like to know that "The Mutants" is now out on DVD, and it's got a particular good commentary track too from the likes of Katy Manning, Garrick Hagon, Bob Baker and Brian Hodgson, etc.

Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    Dave, you may like to know that "The Mutants" is now out on DVD, and it's got a particular good commentary track too from the likes of Katy Manning, Garrick Hagon, Bob Baker and Brian Hodgson, etc.
    Dear Gerald,

Thank you for that information. In fact I did go with the Amazon offer and bought the vhs but recon I'll splash out for the DVD, too. Look forward to hearing the voice over; they are always of interest.

Many thanks.

Best Wishes

Dave.