Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi!

Firstly may I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong part of the forums - I didn't see a 'name this TV show' thread. Would a mod kindly move it if it causes consternation. Hey, I'm new here

I have vivid memories of the introduction of an American tv show that I once caught as a small child watching week day television. I believe it was shown on ITV in the afternoon, probably round 1974-76.

If memory serves it looked as if it were a Quinn Martin type production. A dark haired young leading man is being persued in the dark, rain pouring down. He races on foot up to the edge of a cliff when a helicopter rises up above him and a chap in 'copter shouts at him through a loudhailer to give himself up. I believe he addresses him as a doctor.

As I say I'm sure this was a recap which ran at the beginning/introduction of the show every week.

It sounds/reminded me of a Fugitive type premise, but it wasn't The Fugitive.

Anyone?

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Unless what you're remembering was a very short lived series, I can't recall a show like that in the 1970's. Another guy on the run and he's a doctor? That's way too much like The Fugitive. I think you might be blurring your show with that one. Other Quinn Martin shows with a character on the run Was Run for Your Life starring Ben Gazarra, but he had a terminal disease and it didn't have that intro; and the Invaders starring Roy Thinnes, as a man aware of aliens among us seeking to take over and they were after him. It's possible The Invaders had a cliffhanger like that, but not on every week.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    Not "The Immortal" with Christopher George was it? I've never seen that show, but know it's 70s and somewhat similar to "The Fugitive."

Liked
    0 times
    I vaguely remember the TV movie of The Immortal, which preceeded the series. He wasn't a doctor. I never saw the series, so I don't know what the teaser was. It lasted less than a season in 1970-71, so that's not something that would have been rerun years later, I don't think.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    "The Incredible Hulk" also fits the bill in some respects (70s, dark-haired doctor on the run like "The Fugitive," rain, etc), but there wasn't a helicopter in the opening credits.

Liked
    0 times
    I bet that's it--The Hulk. The rest of it might be the tricks our memory sometimes make.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your help chaps. The Immortal definately rang a bell. I've found the trailer on-line which contains none of the elements I remember : But the name Ben Richards and the theme tune certainly seem to be stirring up some memories:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My_85FhMat8"]YouTube- THE IMMORTAL (1970)[/ame]

Youtube also seems to have the entire pilot episode segmented on-line - something to watch while waiting for the snow to thaw

Liked
    1 times
    It could be Lucan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucan_(TV_series)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7wt0y9sxm4"]YouTube- lucan wolf boy[/ame]

Liked
    0 times
    I know you said it was answered even though The Immortal didn't have the teaser you remembered, but in case you still have some doubts, post your question on the Classic Horror Film Board. They have a section there devoted to television shows. If there is such a show with that teaser, I guarantee you'll find the answer there. If not, you're remembering it wrong.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi!

Firstly may I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong part of the forums - I didn't see a 'name this TV show' thread. Would a mod kindly move it if it causes consternation. Hey, I'm new here

I have vivid memories of the introduction of an American tv show that I once caught as a small child watching week day television. I believe it was shown on ITV in the afternoon, probably round 1974-76.

If memory serves it looked as if it were a Quinn Martin type production. A dark haired young leading man is being persued in the dark, rain pouring down. He races on foot up to the edge of a cliff when a helicopter rises up above him and a chap in 'copter shouts at him through a loudhailer to give himself up. I believe he addresses him as a doctor.

As I say I'm sure this was a recap which ran at the beginning/introduction of the show every week.

It sounds/reminded me of a Fugitive type premise, but it wasn't The Fugitive.

Anyone?

The show you are referring to was "Dr. Simon Locke" (1971)

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for your reply Mr Cosmo, unfortunately I cannot confirm. I've just googled both Dr. Simon Locke and Police Surgeon, but have been unable to find any clips/pictures.