Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I was just reading (don't tell anybody, at another forum) Invaders From Mars was shown in Britain with a different ending. It wasn't about censorship. The British distributor wouldn't accept the American one because it was felt the ending over there would be laughed at.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I remember your scenes very well, Aitch. You stared at this man, who wasn't "one of you" and your stare caused rocks and stones to fly at him in a whirlwind and kill him.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15
    I was just reading (don't tell anybody, at another forum) Invaders From Mars was shown in Britain with a different ending. It wasn't about censorship. The British distributor wouldn't accept the American one because it was felt the ending over there would be laughed at.
    I don't know about that, Will. I never went to see Invaders From Mars at the pictures when it came out and no doubt any version shown on television over here nowadays or released on DVD would have the original American ending.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I learned the stare from Mrs Aitch......

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    8 times
    I think we were all on this one Harry, I just wached the clip that Darrenburnfan put on, and looking at all the faces, brings back some memories, I was one of the first to run out of the station, they didn't do much at M G M, after this one.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Harry and whitstablejim i am very pleased to hear your memories of working on Quatermass And The Pit one of my favourite films.

Here is a link to a site with lots of interesting information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Quatermass

Senior Member Country: United States robotoid97's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a truly fantastic film and one of my favorites , I just finished watching another Nigel Kneale film a moment ago, "The Trollenberg Terror" aka "The Crawling Eye" He was a great writer and his films never disappoint...

Liked
    98 times
    Here is another still from the Front-of-House set of Andrew Keir as Professor Bernard Quatermass examining a long dead Martian.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    It would've been interesting to have seen Reginald Tate in all three Quatermass serials had he lived, and just suppose if he had lived 20 years after THE PIT serial he just might have been chosen or willing to be in the 1979 Quatermass series.... I know he would have been in his early eighties by then, but....

Liked
    7 times
    I just finished watching another Nigel Kneale film a moment ago, "The Trollenberg Terror" aka "The Crawling Eye" He was a great writer and his films never disappoint...

Nigel Kneale had nothing to do with The Trollenberg Terror. The original TV serial was written by Peter Key. The film version was written by Jimmy Sangster.

Invaders From Mars at the pictures when it came out and no doubt any version shown on television over here nowadays or released on DVD would have the original American ending.

Based on the running times on the BBFC website it was the European version that was shown in UK cinemas. It runs longer than the US version because of an extended version of the scene in the observatory where Arthur Franz explains about flying saucers.

When I saw this on BBC many years ago they also showed the alternative "European " version. I even phoned up the BBC to complain because I thought the ending (it was all a dream) was missing. It was only a couple of years later that I realised there was two versions of the film.

The US ending has the kid wakes up just after the spaceship explodes and the whole thing has been a dream. He then looks out of a window and sees the spaceship landing again. In the European ending after the spaceship explodes there is a cut to the kid and others hiding behind something (a truck I think). Then he is put safely to bed and that's that. Needless to say the US ending is far superior and the film makes a lot more sense when seen as a child's dream.

Senior Member Country: UK lionheart's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    one of my favorites Quatermass and the pit!! ( original )

Internet Archive: Free Download: Quatermass and the Pit - Episode One

trailer for Quatermass 2 ( the later version )

Internet Archive: Free Download: Enemy From Space - trailer

Senior Member Country: United States robotoid97's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541
    Nigel Kneale had nothing to do with The Trollenberg Terror. The original TV serial was written by Peter Key. The film version was written by Jimmy Sangster.
    OOPs, thank you for the correction and I had ment The Creature (TV) / Abominiable Snowman (film). I have been looking around the web for quite some time trying to find out if any TV elements had survived from a couple of early British TV sci-fi shows The Creature and Trollenberg Terror and sometimes write one when I was thinking of the other.

Liked
    0 times
    I must say I prefer the television serial of Quatermass And The Pit - Andre Morell is my favourite Quatermass by far. It was also fun to see Anthony Bushell doing his incompetent officer thing.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Always liked this film and bought the DVD a few months ago. Excellent.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknorth View Post
    I must say I prefer the television serial of Quatermass And The Pit - Andre Morell is my favourite Quatermass by far. It was also fun to see Anthony Bushell doing his incompetent officer thing.
    I'd have to second that. The Hammer film is a worthly adaptation but the charismatic Morell is streets ahead of Andrew Kier- or any of his predecessors for that matter

Member Country: United States harkin's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Saw it on late night TV as a kid and just loved it. The following Monday at school Five Million Years To Earth (US Title) had a lot of buzz.

Also loved the cast and the way the story kinda took an unexpected turn regarding James Donald.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    A Front-of-House still featuring Barbara Shelley and Andrew Keir in Quatermass and the Pit (1967).

I have also posted the above Front-of-House still on both Andrew Keir and Barbara Shelley's Threads on Brit Movie.

Liked
    7 times
    Have to agree also apart from the last episode which is basically set in a pub and has Quatermass and Rooney commenting on the apocalyptic chaos outside. I would guess the BBC budget ran out at this point.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Contemporary newspaper reviews

From the Daily Mirror, 3rd November 1967.

The other films reviewed by Dick Richards were The Fiends
    & October Revolution. Oddly, no mention of Andrew Keir:

In the following day's Daily Express, Ian Christie refers to two working-class character's being killed off (forgetting to
    mention the grisly fate of Colonel Julian Glover). I think he means those played by Hugh Futcher and Duncan Lamont:

Added Bonus 1

Fellow member whitstablejim's appearance:

Added Bonus 2

The book James Donald is (briefly) seen reading:

Liked
    98 times
    An ABC Film Review single page review from November, 1967, and the original Front-of-House set of eight stills
    with scenes in the order that they appeared in the film.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 11-10-13 at 10:12 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast