Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Great pics cornershop and David, thanks for sharing, the film has no 'scare' factor for me today, but I recall watching it on late night TV circa 73/74 and it was scary then, around the same time as a transmission of Dr. Blood's Coffin, that one really did give me a sleepless night!

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Yes, you're right about the date, Mark. It was first shown on BBC2 at 11 pm to 12:35 a.m. on Christmas Day, 1973. I think that there were power shortages at the time due to either a dispute involving the power workers or miners and there was a 3-day working week or something like that. Anyway, the government ordered that television must close down by 10:30 pm to save power, but for Christmas Day only, they allowed the television companies to operate normally.

Doctor Blood's Coffin was shown many years ago on Channel 4, but it hasn't been shown since. However, I do have the remastered DVD of it. I have the original Front-of-House set of that film, too. I originally went to see it at the pictures in early 1962 and I thought Hazel Court was totally gorgeous at the time and would have loved to have spent the night with her down a Cornish tin mine.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 11-10-13 at 10:43 AM.

Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Yes, you're right about the date, Mark. It was first shown on BBC2 at 11 pm to 12:35 a.m. on Christmas Day, 1973. I think that there were power shortages at the time due to either a dispute involving the power workers or miners and there was a 3-day working week or something like that. Anyway, the government ordered that television must close down by 10:30 pm to save power, but for Christmas Day only, they allowed the television companies to operate normally.

Doctor Blood's Coffin was shown many years ago on Channel 4, but it hasn't been shown since. However, I do have the remastered DVD of it. I have the original Front-of-House set of that film, too. I originally went to see it at the pictures in early 1962 and I thought Hazel Court was totally gorgeous at the time and would have loved to have spent the night with her down a Cornish tin mine.
    Goodness me David, what a great memory!

I would have been 12, I recall the channel 4 showing of Dr. Blood's coffin in the 90's, that's when I taped it to keep, but it really put the frighteners on me (the man coming back to life in the tin mine scenes) when I saw it as a nipper, if you have any pics you would like to share David I'd be extremely grateful to see them..

Liked
    98 times
    Well, not so much a good memory, as, long before the age of video tapes, I recorded Quatermass and the Pit on audio cassette and kept the date it was recorded...Christmas Day, 1973, at 10:30 pm. As for the other film, I can't really upload the Front-of-House set on this thread, but if someone starts a Doctor Blood's Coffin thread, I'll see what I can do.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hamilton View Post
    I'd have to second that. The Hammer film is a worthly adaptation but the charismatic Morell is streets ahead of Andrew Kier- or any of his predecessors for that matter
    Hi,
    Oddly enough, not -so-long-ago, I read that just before the first Quatermass serial was broadcast, there was a possibility that Reginald Tate, although wanted for the part, might not be available. And that Andre Morell was in line instead. However, as we all know, Reginald did become available, and became the first screen Quatermass.

However, Andre Kier did years later portrayed the retired Quatermass in the BBC radio serial 'The Quatermass Memoirs'.

Alan French.

Liked
    202 times
    Well, not so much a good memory, as, long before the age of video tapes, I recorded Quatermass and the Pit on audio cassette and kept the date it was recorded...Christmas Day, 1973, at 10:30 pm. As for the other film, I can't really upload the Front-of-House set on this thread, but if someone starts a Doctor Blood's Coffin thread, I'll see what I can do.

http://filmdope.com/forums/as...in-1961-a.html

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    There's an earlier thread for Dr. Blood's Coffin, (also at 'Ask a Film Question'), created 26th July 2004.

US ads for Quatermass and the Pit (as 'Five Million Years to Earth') - billed with The Viking
    Queen
    - and The Detective. From the Algona Upper Des Moines [Iowa], 15th August 1968:

Liked
    98 times
    Thanks for the link cornershop. I see that, with the Americans having no equivalent of our BBFC, they showed the Quatermass film to the school kids on holiday, who were allowed to see the most horrorfic films of the day which over here carried an X certificate.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    [CENTER]Contemporary newspaper reviews

From the Daily Mirror, 3rd November 1967.

The other films reviewed by Dick Richards were The Fiends
    & October Revolution. Oddly, no mention of Andrew Keir:

In the following day's Daily Express, Ian Christie refers to two working-class character's being killed off (forgetting to
    mention the grisly fate of Colonel Julian Glover). I think he means those played by Hugh Futcher and Duncan Lamont:
    Cornershop, thank you for a great contribution which i enjoyed reading, i think Duncan Lamont survived in Quatermass and the Pit.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    [CENTER]An ABC Film Review single page review from November, 1967, and the original Front-of-House set of eight stills
    with scenes in the order that they appeared in the film.
    Darrenburnfan, thank you for a great contribution to this Thread, i enjoyed reading the ABC Film Review single page review of Quatermass and the Pit, and the original Front-of-House set of eight stills are great to look at.

Liked
    98 times
    Glad you like them, Billy. Unfortunately, by 1967, ABC Film Review was only a shadow of its earlier self and had more adverts than reviews. Otherwise, they could have done a two page review for Quatermass and the Pit and they would have done if the film had come out a few years earlier.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    http://www.impawards.com/1968/five_m..._to_earth.html

Colour version of the "Five Million Years" USA poster here.

(This site is superlative for tracking down good quality images of US titles of British films and also US films which never/only eventually got here to England).
    Last edited by Rick C; 11-10-13 at 04:00 PM.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder View Post
    My first horror film.. I was to work with this director many more times.

I got a call from Central Casting to go to MGM Studios in Borehamwood, Herts to do a few days on this film movie. I was used as as a workman digging out some Underground holes in a tube station (studio).After some time one of the other extras finds some odd things and digging comes to a stop. A couple of days later I'm back on the film as a possessed man. All we had to do was walk around the tube station as if we were Zombies..

My wife said ''No change there then''

Aitch,
    Long time ago......Aitch,,

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by harryfielder View Post
    Long time ago......Aitch,,
    Yes, an incredible 46 years ago since I went to see it at the pictures. The years have certainly flown by.

Liked
    51 times
    My first horror film...MGM Elstree.....

Senior Member Country: UK hot snow's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watching again,great film and good use of the standing lot at MGM,Hobb,s end must have been spooky Aitch?

Liked
    51 times
    I got a call from Central Casting to go to MGM Studios in Borehamwood, Herts to do a few days on this film movie. I was used as as a workman digging out some Underground holes in a tube station (studio).After some time one of the other extras finds some odd things and digging comes to a stop. A couple of days later I'm back on the film as a possessed man. All we had to do was walk around the tube station as if we were Zombies..
    My wife said ''No change there then''

Senior Member Country: UK hot snow's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    You were grinning at the back in Mutiny on The Buses today,nice to see you again.Shot on the Avengers stage at Elstree,any stories Aitch?

Liked
    51 times
    On Face Book...or.... http://www.harryfielder.co.uk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast