Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Yes, you're right about the date, Mark. It was first shown on BBC2 at 11 pm to 12:35 a.m. on Christmas Day, 1973. I think that there were power shortages at the time due to either a dispute involving the power workers or miners and there was a 3-day working week or something like that. Anyway, the government ordered that television must close down by 10:30 pm to save power, but for Christmas Day only, they allowed the television companies to operate normally.
    Impressive information. And very interesting for me, because the transmission mentioned is undoubtedly the one I saw as an 8-year-old and which really spooked me. Even though it looks quite rickety now, the power of the story still gets me, the idea that even though the aliens are long extinct, there is still some kind of energy buried in the fabric of their ship that awakens frightening powers in humans. I love the scenes where Quatermass and Barbara find archive material indicating strange occurrences in the same location over the course of centuries. Something that gets overlooked in this film is there's some great sound editing and FX. The pulsating sounds in the climactic scenes are what spooked me so much as a kid.

I love that someone on this forum was in this film.

Other things that always leap to mind about it:

The jowly PC getting all sweaty and nervous in the abandoned house. But a truly great touch in that scene is their puzzling over the deeply gouged marks in the walls, looking unnervingly like human scratch marks (Quatermass - "What do you think made these marks?", which seems to be enough to send the PC scurrying away).

Roney - "No way to treat decent scotch but we're a bit short on glasses".

Very nice performance by the great Peter Copley.

Some pretty decent model work on the excavated alien corpses - the eye membranes being peeled back to expose green cells.

Sladden (Duncan Lamont) possessed, seeking sanctuary in a church, the ground rippling under him while those eerie pulsing noises are heard.

Barbara Shelley. That little tartan skirt. That luscious red hair. Oh, man alive.

Footnote: Rebus author Ian Rankin did a TV doc on the nature of evil, in which he cited this film as his earliest memory of seeing evil depicted on screen.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Yes, Hammer and Nigel Kneale did an excellent job of condensing the three hours plus BBC Television serial from 1958 into just over half the length and yet leaving all the highlights intact and Barbara Shelley in that tartan miniskirt and red polo-neck pullover was just about the sexiest thing seen on the cinema screen in the entire 1960s. I remember seeing the serial on television when I was 11, going on 12, from December, 1958, to February, 1959, and when I went to see the film nine years later in February, 1968, I thought it wouldn't be as good as the serial, but I was was wrong and I was very impressed with it.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Yes, you're right about the date, Mark. It was first shown on BBC2 at 11 pm to 12:35 a.m. on Christmas Day, 1973. I think that there were power shortages at the time due to either a dispute involving the power workers or miners and there was a 3-day working week or something like that. Anyway, the government ordered that television must close down by 10:30 pm to save power, but for Christmas Day only, they allowed the television companies to operate normally.

Doctor Blood's Coffin was shown many years ago on Channel 4, but it hasn't been shown since. However, I do have the remastered DVD of it. I have the original Front-of-House set of that film, too. I originally went to see it at the pictures in early 1962 and I thought Hazel Court was totally gorgeous at the time and would have loved to have spent the night with her down a Cornish tin mine.

Now that info about it being shown first on BBC2 in 1973 has really bought back some memories. I have always had a soft spot for this film and bought it on DVD but then I also like the original BBC production with the exceptional Andre Morrel very much. Thanks for stirring my personal archive.

Senior Member Country: Jordan
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Riceman View Post
    Now that info about it being shown first on BBC2 in 1973 has really bought back some memories. I have always had a soft spot for this film and bought it on DVD but then I also like the original BBC production with the exceptional Andre Morrel very much. Thanks for stirring my personal archive.
    I like the film a lot but I was completely blown away by the television version which is superb and Morell for me is by far the best of the 'Quatermasses'. I would have loved to see him instead of Andrew Keir who I have always thought was a capable but one dimensional actor. Thinking on it, I'd say the same about James Donald.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Andrew Keir will always be my favourite Professor Quatermass, and Andre Morell (not far behind Andrew Keir) will always be my second favourite Professor Quatermass, I liked Brian Donlevy's performance as Professor Quatermass in the two 1950's Hammer Quatermass films, Donlevy's drinking caused problems with the filming of both 1950's Hammer Quatermass films.

Quatermass and the Pit (1967) would definitely be in my top 50 of all time favourite films, I haven't seen the late 1950's BBC TV serial (starring Andre Morell) for a long time, will watch it again soon.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I like 'em all but Quatermass 2 is the one I always go back to, it's a real favourite of mine, Percy Herbert's character should have been in 'Alien'. I've always liked Brian Donlevy as the man although I do seem to be in the minority.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    I was not aware until a few years ago, that although Reginald Tate was wanted for the first Quatermass serial, there was a possibility that he may have not been available. There was then serious consideration of Andre Morell being offered the role. However, as we all now know, Reginald Tate was available, and became the first screen Quatermass.

As far as Brian Donlevy's drinking is concerned. I apologise if I have mentioned this before, but when the housing estate where I currently live was being built, part of it was used for some location work. Due to a drink problem or not, Brian entered a house where some gas fitting was being undertaken. He enquired as to whether there was a toilet that he could use. He was informed that one had not yet been installed. I believe that he had to use his own resources. I have heard the tale from an apprentice gas fitter who was present.

Alan French.

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    Quatermass and the Pit (1967) would definitely be in my top 50 of all time favourite films, I haven't seen the late 1950's BBC TV serial (starring Andre Morell) for a long time, will watch it again soon.
    I am currently enjoying watching the late 1950's BBC TV serial - Quatermass and the Pit (starring Andre Morell), watched episode 3 this afternoon.

Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan french View Post
    As far as Brian Donlevy's drinking is concerned. I apologise if I have mentioned this before, but when the housing estate where I currently live was being built, part of it was used for some location work. Due to a drink problem or not, Brian entered a house where some gas fitting was being undertaken. He enquired as to whether there was a toilet that he could use. He was informed that one had not yet been installed. I believe that he had to use his own resources. I have heard the tale from an apprentice gas fitter who was present.

Alan French.
    Alan, some very interesting info.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan french View Post

Alan French.
    What has drinking got to do with a lack of toilet facilities? Haven't you ever been in a situation where you have to go but there's nowhere to go and you have to improvise? I know I have - and there was no alcohol involved

Steve

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    What has drinking got to do with a lack of toilet facilities? Haven't you ever been in a situation where you have to go but there's nowhere to go and you have to improvise? I know I have - and there was no alcohol involved

Steve
    Sounds awful. The no alcohol part, I mean.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi,
    Billy: Thankyou.

Steve: So have I. But his drinking , if it was the case, may not have helped.

Phil: I understand and sympathise with you.

Alan French.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    I like 'em all but Quatermass 2 is the one I always go back to, it's a real favourite of mine, Percy Herbert's character should have been in 'Alien'. I've always liked Brian Donlevy as the man although I do seem to be in the minority.
    QUATERMASS II (as the TV series was titled) was my favourite - the TV version, not the film. It terrified me at the age of 10 and made me a lifetime fan of Holst's "Mars". It was more ambitious than the film in showing the climactic flight into space and IMO had a more convincing story line than the others.

Senior Member Country: Germany JD_Fan's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    One of the movies I haved watched many times.
    I really like Andrew Keir as Quatermass but my hero is Roney.
    He is such a great doctor and in his last big part, James Donald, saves the world.
    pit.PNG

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    QUATERMASS AND THE PIT……MGM Studios

Director:
    Roy Ward Baker

Writer:
    Nigel Kneale (original story and screenplay)

Genre:
    Sci-Fi | Horror

Cast
    James Donald ... Dr. Mathew Roney
    Andrew Keir ... Prof. Bernard Quatermass
    Barbara Shelley ... Barbara Judd
    Julian Glover ... Colonel Breen
    Duncan Lamont ... Sladden
    Bryan Marshall ... Captain Potter
    Peter Copley ... Howell
    Edwin Richfield ... Minister
    Grant Taylor ... Police Sergeant Ellis
    Maurice Good ... Sergeant Cleghorn
    Robert Morris ... Jerry Watson
    Sheila Steafel ... Journalist
    Hugh Futcher ... Sapper West
    Hugh Morton ... Elderly Journalist
    Thomas Heathcote ... Vicar

My first horror film.. I was to work with this director many more times.

I got a call from Central Casting to go to MGM Studios in Borehamwood, Herts to do a few days on this film movie. I was used as as a workman digging out some Underground holes in a tube station (studio).After some time one of the other extras finds some odd things and digging comes to a stop. A couple of days later I'm back on the film as a possessed man. All we had to do was walk around the tube station as if we were Zombies..
    My wife said ''No change there then''

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234