Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Yoda and Gollum were on screen alongside real people and set amongst real locations. Of course you're more likely to recognise the difference. You could tell Jerry was animated when he danced with Gene Kelly as well.

Your point makes me realise that you have absolutely no idea just how groundbreaking this new animation is. George Lucas waited 20 years for CGI to enable him to make Episode One of Star Wars. This is a whole new level, way beyond Yoda and Gollum. The aliens in Avatar do look strange but it's almost a prerequisite of being alien.

Watch the movie and tell me that Sigourney's character looks animated, or that the backgrounds look animated, after 30 seconds of being on screen. Avatar is a spectacle like you've never seen before and the IMAX 3D is mindblwing.

Feel free to wait 2 years for BBC1 to show it on Christmas Day and continue to have an opinion based on no actual experience of what makes this movie so groundbreaking.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='Tony Pendrey']I'm not taliking about Yoda or Gollum. .

Did you go to the cinema, put on the 3-d glasses, and watch the film ?

thankfully i did not and don't intend to! if trailers aren't intended to encourage a potential viewer to watch a particular film then what are they for? the trailer for 'avatar' and subsequent reviews informed me that it is not a film that i would like-there's more to watching a film than just appreciating special effects.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    name='Tomwhisky']Back in the early 1980s (first computer about four feet square!) we played a space invader game called The Blue Meanies

Did they look like those creatures in Avatar?

Liked
    0 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']Yoda and Gollum were on screen alongside real people and set amongst real locations. Of course you're more likely to recognise the difference. You could tell Jerry was animated when he danced with Gene Kelly as well.

Your point makes me realise that you have absolutely no idea just how groundbreaking this new animation is. George Lucas waited 20 years for CGI to enable him to make Episode One of Star Wars. This is a whole new level, way beyond Yoda and Gollum. The aliens in Avatar do look strange but it's almost a prerequisite of being alien.

Watch the movie and tell me that Sigourney's character looks animated, or that the backgrounds look animated, after 30 seconds of being on screen. Avatar is a spectacle like you've never seen before and the IMAX 3D is mindblwing.

Feel free to wait 2 years for BBC1 to show it on Christmas Day and continue to have an opinion based on no actual experience of what makes this movie so groundbreaking.

Perhaps all that is true and not to be flippant, perhaps this film will make trillions and all that, but for me, the film is asking the audience to cross a galaxy to meet strange beings. Now Star Trek did this by saying 'aliens are nasty so hate them' or 'aliens are very sexy (mini-skirts!) so feel seduced by them. We knew where we stood with this logic.

I argue that we can not really love strange looking aliens? They need to be humanoid?

Liked
    0 times
    name='torinfan']Did they look like those creatures in Avatar?

They looked nasty little gits floating down for you to fire at them and stop reaching

a set line. They also made a nasty little Merr Merr sound

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    12 times
    name='Tomwhisky']Perhaps all that is true and not to be flippant, perhaps this film will make trillions and all that, but for me, the film is asking the audience to cross a galaxy to meet strange beings. Now Star Trek did this by saying 'aliens are nasty so hate them' or 'aliens are very sexy (mini-skirts!) so feel seduced by them. We knew where we stood with this logic.

I argue that we can not really love strange looking aliens? They need to be humanoid?
    Try telling that to pet owners!

Anyway, the aliens in Avatar look pretty humanoid to me. Just bigger, with blue skin and weird eyes. Oh, and tails. They are clearly designed to be reasonably attractive to the audience.

I agree that the film is pretty cliched, simplistic and derivative but at least it has a reasonably positive eco-message and as the story unfolded I found my habitual cynicism ebbing away and I started to rather enjoy it. It's certainly no masterpiece or "a revolution in cinema" but it's a good-looking blockbuster spectacle, as Lord Of The Rings was.

Liked
    71 times
    name='Tomwhisky']They looked nasty little gits floating down for you to fire at them and stop reaching

a set line. They also made a nasty little Merr Merr sound

Now that's scary!

Liked
    71 times
    name='Tomwhisky']Perhaps all that is true and not to be flippant, perhaps this film will make trillions and all that, but for me, the film is asking the audience to cross a galaxy to meet strange beings. Now Star Trek did this by saying 'aliens are nasty so hate them' or 'aliens are very sexy (mini-skirts!) so feel seduced by them. We knew where we stood with this logic.

What brings to mind here are the aliens in "War of the Worlds" (again, a movie with fabulous special effects given the fact it was made in the 1950's) where they have faces that resemble traffic signals. I don't know if they can be classified as loveable but that may be an issue of personal taste.

Liked
    0 times
    name='torinfan']What brings to mind here are the aliens in "War of the Worlds" (again, a movie with fabulous special effects given the fact it was made in the 1950's) where they have faces that resemble traffic signals. I don't know if they can be classified as loveable but that may be an issue of personal taste.

To answer Robin Davies as well, I suppose I am trying for deep logic here? The bottom line is tickets sales and if the aliens are too nasty this is not good - we did not see the aliens much in the first WOTWs and they were not that bad to look at just there behaviour left much to be desired. The aliens in Independence Day were just as nasty but again not much seen - even made a joke of.

Robin mentions animals and strangly I had thoughts of this point yesterday. I am confused with the term 'love of animals' I have had a much experience of animals of various kinds and can not say they are loveable! Horses will deliberately stand on ones foot and the wilder stuff can be very nasty. One can love a personal dog or a cat but this is a bonding thing but both, as animals, can be antisocial and nasty. This is not to say we should not care for them and all the rest but love? Love is a deep emotion?

Disney etc went for cartoons that were animal humanoids - faces and voices - so we could associate. All on-screen animals 'to love' had to be of great service to humans (Lassie) or Planet of the Apes.

All small animals are great - chimpanzees/lambs/ - loveable but not when they are bigger!

I would question sexual thoughts about aliens that are not humanoid (bit sick?)

specially if painted blue

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Tomwhisky']To answer Robin Davies as well, I suppose I am trying for deep logic here?

Deep Logic ! Mr Whisky please put some more water in it LOL!!

But I do concede your point on how nasty animals can be. I once put all me pocket money on a greyhound called "Tony Will Be Rich" and the bloody thing deliberately came last.

You never recover from that sort of trauma.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='dylan']Avatar owes a lot to Poul Anderson's 1957 story Call Me Joe:

Call Me Joe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder if Cameron will give Anderson a post-credit as he did with Harlan Ellison over Terminator?

D.
    I read on a forum that Cameron probably would do, but when he 'fessed up to where an idea he had for Terminator came from he got sued, so he found that artistic honesty was not its own reward.

I think if Cameron has to cough for 'Call Me Joe', then Michael Bay should cough for 'Siege of Pinchgut'...............

Everything comes from somehwere. Imagine how cool to have the copyright on Shakespeare's ideas............ but then some scholars say he ripped some other guy off..............

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='torinfan']What brings to mind here are the aliens in "War of the Worlds" (again, a movie with fabulous special effects given the fact it was made in the 1950's) where they have faces that resemble traffic signals. I don't know if they can be classified as loveable but that may be an issue of personal taste.

Traffic signals are dead sexy - Not as sexy as Belisha beacons with all those sensuous curves, but still very desirable in a way.

Anyway, my carer agrees

Liked
    0 times
    name='Tony Pendrey']Deep Logic ! Mr Whisky please put some more water in it LOL!!

But I do concede your point on how nasty animals can be. I once put all me pocket money on a greyhound called "Tony Will Be Rich" and the bloody thing deliberately came last.

You never recover from that sort of trauma.

Sorry Tony for trying to elevate the discussion We do not receive love from animals, really, only a usage of where the next meal is? Frankly I do find the subject of sexually mixing species very suspect (I do not know if this happens in the film not having seen it). We can always depend upon film producers to scrape barrels for ideas no matter how distasteful.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='Tomwhisky']We do not receive love from animals

my mums dog is in love with my leg!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Avatar wins Golden Globes for Best Motion Picture and Best Director.

Obviously the industry thought it worthy of accolade and I'm assuming they all saw it before they made a decision.

I was surprised it didn't get a nomination for Best Animated Feature. Obviously the CGI is so good they felt it wouldn't be fair on the rest to include it.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']Avatar wins Golden Globes for Best Motion Picture and Best Director.

Obviously the industry thought it worthy of accolade and I'm assuming they all saw it before they made a decision.
    Or a cynic might say that as it cost so much, if it won a few prizes then that would make it more likely that more, similarly expensive films will be given the OK by the money men. All of that expense has to go somewhere, so there will be more jobs for more people in the industry.

So why did "the industry" like it?

Steve

Liked
    71 times
    name='jaycad']my mums dog is in love with my leg!

Liked
    71 times
    name='Steve Crook']Or a cynic might say that as it cost so much, if it won a few prizes then that would make it more likely that more, similarly expensive films will be given the OK by the money men. All of that expense has to go somewhere, so there will be more jobs for more people in the industry.

So why did "the industry" like it?

Steve

I still think those awards shows are political.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Got an earful tonight on the merits of Avatar, from a friend who's opinions I mostly respect. He was concerned my lads were making a mistake not seeing it in Imax. Regardless me and #1 son are hoping to see "The Good The Bad The Weird" tonight,

if it doesn't sell out before I can buy tickets. It's a recently made Korean western set in Mongolia, at least that's what we think it is !

Liked
    0 times
    name='torinfan']

Most animal habits are not very funny and humans are less funny

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast