Page 82 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2816

Thread: Have a Chat

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyman View Post
    Just back from the local Post Office having answered an appeal in aid of British service personnel in Afghanistan.
    Here's what Mrs Chevy and I have sent them:-

A taste of home and some toiletries

It took very little time to do and the cost of the contents was about the same as a pub lunch

This little lot is headed for 35 Regiment Royal Engineers
    That's great Steve, I very rarely visit a Post office so I wasn't aware of this appeal, I am now, we can't do enough for the allied troops who try to make the world a safer place for everyone to enjoy.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    In general they receive excellent dental care.
    My brother didn't when he was on the Ark Royal - in peace time! They were short of anaesthetic while circumnavigating the globe and he was deemed 'not-as-in-need-as-others' at the time......he now has a pathological fear of all things dental and requires Valium in the arm just to talk to a dentist!

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    That's great Steve, I very rarely visit a Post office so I wasn't aware of this appeal, I am now, we can't do enough for the allied troops who try to make the world a safer place for everyone to enjoy.
    Hi Mark,

The Post Office was only a means to an end really...the original appeal came from a mature student I mentored. Her nephew is serving with the regiment. She is in regular touch with him and, in his correspondence with her, he often talks about the things that the men and women serving out there miss the most. We had to split the consigment into two as any parcels sent to a BFPO are free as long as they remain under 2kg

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dame Starry View Post
    My brother didn't when he was on the Ark Royal - in peace time! They were short of anaesthetic while circumnavigating the globe and he was deemed 'not-as-in-need-as-others' at the time......he now has a pathological fear of all things dental and requires Valium in the arm just to talk to a dentist!
    Sorry to hear your brother had to go through such an experience....not nice

I'm pleased to see that things have moved on since then

Dentists who continue to administer intravenous sedation are becoming fewer and fewer (due to litigation). Your brothers dentist is very brave to do so

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times
    Helicopter crashes on Auckland waterfront

Incredibly only minor injuries ........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfUsGU9GDQ

Liked
    150 times
    Dentists who continue to administer intravenous sedation are becoming fewer and fewer (due to litigation). Your brothers dentist is very brave to do so
    He'd have to be even braver if he didn't - my brother's a big, strong fella!

Mind you, I do love his story of having to be helped down the dentist's stairs by two old ladies after one appointment..........

Liked
    44 times

Mind you, I do love his story of having to be helped down the dentist's stairs by two old ladies after one appointment..........
    He really should have been on a recovery trolley with an experienced recovery nurse or ODP. He shouldn't have been required to negotiate a flight of stairs assisted by two old ladies....presumably members of the public and not members of staff???

If he is willing to be formally assessed as a dental phobic he will be entitled to treatment at an authorised NHS sedation clinic:-

NHS sedation clinics
    If you're extremely nervous, ask your dentist to refer you to an NHS sedation clinic. These clinics are specifically for nervous dental patients.

Some people find simple inhalation sedation very helpful to relax them for dental treatment. This is a bit like gas and air given during childbirth, but instead of being delivered through a mask it comes through a nosepiece.

If you're extremely nervous you may be given intravenous sedation (through an injection into your hand or arm) during treatment. The drugs won’t send you to sleep – you’ll be awake and able to talk to the dentist – but they’ll calm and relax you so deeply you probably won’t remember much of what happened.

Source NHS Direct.

Message me if I can be of further help?x

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    We're ready for Thanksgiving tomorrow - lamb chops! woo hoo! I can almost taste them right now. But my tummy must wait. And we're having cherry pie for dessert!
    Baked potatoes, corn on the cob, asparagus, carrots, green salad and fresh vine tomatoes, too!

Liked
    44 times
    TF? I'm just looking at bargain flights!!! Enjoy your special day?

Liked
    71 times
    TF? I'm just looking at bargain flights!!! Enjoy your special day?

Thank you Chevyman! :)

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by torinfan View Post
    We're ready for Thanksgiving tomorrow - lamb chops! woo hoo! I can almost taste them right now. But my tummy must wait. And we're having cherry pie for dessert!
    Baked potatoes, corn on the cob, asparagus, carrots, green salad and fresh vine tomatoes, too!
    Lamb chops? What happened to the turkey???

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    It shot the redneck

To be honest wadsy, if it wasn't for "family expectations" we'd go for lamb, beef or even the more traditional goose

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    It shot the redneck

To be honest wadsy, if it wasn't for "family expectations" we'd go for lamb, beef or even the more traditional goose
    I always prefer goose to turkey. Even the very best free range turkey tastes fairly bland. As long as you keep it well drained while cooking it then a goose is much better and much tastier

Steve

Liked
    44 times
    So much depends on the feed too Steve? If we were spending Christmas at home we'd have placed our order with our local farm shop, where we now buy most of our produce

We've ordered a fresh duck from them for New Years Eve.....our usual

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    I always prefer goose to turkey. Even the very best free range turkey tastes fairly bland. As long as you keep it well drained while cooking it then a goose is much better and much tastier

Steve
    I've never had goose! Is it as nice as duck? I agree that turkey is bland. I can remember when chicken was a delicacy (here in Oz), expensive, too, and it was a real treat to have it. Free range and delicious - nothing like the ghastly stuff on the market these days.

Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Even the very best free range turkey tastes fairly bland. Steve
    Not if you take the time to season, prepare and cook it properly. Most meat/poultry IS fairly bland at the best of times - irrespective of it's birthplace and upbringing!

Liked
    71 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Like Chevyman said, it shot the redneck.

Seriously, we like to try unconventional holiday meals. I don't eat ham so we'll have turkey for Christmas/Yalda.

Or, maybe fesenjun using turkey. There's an idea.

Liked
    418 times
    Not if you take the time to season, prepare and cook it properly.
    Gosh, I never thought of cooking it. I was eating it raw

Of course I season, prepare and cook it properly. But it's still bland, a lot blander than goose or duck or even chicken

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlGirl View Post
    I've never had goose! Is it as nice as duck? I agree that turkey is bland. I can remember when chicken was a delicacy (here in Oz), expensive, too, and it was a real treat to have it. Free range and delicious - nothing like the ghastly stuff on the market these days.
    Goose is great. It's quite oily so you have to let it drain as it cooks or you finish up boiling it rather than roasting it
    But when it's cooked properly the final result isn't at all oily or greasy, and is very tasty.

It's always worth paying more for a good bird. If you're on a tight budget then don't eat them as often. But one good free range bird every so often is a lot better than eating the cardboard that is sold a regular broiler chickens

Steve

Liked
    71 times
    Whew I am stuffed