Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    I am sure Cherie will want to see this one again - her dad plays a young villain.....

Liked
    137 times
    name='julian_craster']I am sure Cherie will want to see this one again - her dad plays a young villain.....

Been a while since I've watched The Hi-Jackers but isn't Tony Booth the victim rather than one of the villains ?

Either way a very welcome double bill release

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Fantastic news - I've got an incomplete copy of The Hi-Jackers from a TV screening and it's excellent, while Smokescreen has a very good reputation. These two are definitely on the shopping list.

Liked
    151 times
    Great news, but I've mint tv recordings of both, so hope there's an extra.

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='dpgmel']Been a while since I've watched The Hi-Jackers but isn't Tony Booth the victim rather than one of the villains ?

Either way a very welcome double bill release

Yes he is the victim in this film, he gets his lorry nicked but finds a girlfriend as played by Jacqueline Ellis

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    I bought this direct from Renown and am very pleased with both picture & sound quality. Both films are very enjoyable and the actor Derek Francis is in both which for me is a bonus. Jim O'Connolly was a good writer & director and Robert Tronson told me that Jim was the most talented person working at Merton Park in the late 1950s & early 1960s. Smokescreen was made at Brighton studios and I believe Jim lived in Brighton in his later years. The Hijackers made at Twickenham studios has another actor I like and that is Ronald Hines perhaps better known as a theatre actor but a well known face of the time. I hope Renown continue with their celebration of Butchers.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Just a reminder - perhaps to the Renown person who visits the pages - that actor John Carson, who appeared in SMOKESCREEN, is still very much with us and a good friend of mine. Responding to another poster's hope that there might be some 'extras' on the new release - I know for a fact that John would have been very open to an approach to provide an 'extra' for the DVD with his reminiscences had such an approach been made. He's currently in South Africa at present, visiting family - but will be back with us soon. Anyone reading my post who might have plans for releasing older material featuring John and wanting to feature him as an 'extra' - just let me know and I'd be happy to facilitate.

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    name='dicky2006']I bought this direct from Renown and am very pleased with both picture & sound quality. Both films are very enjoyable and the actor Derek Francis is in both which for me is a bonus. Jim O'Connolly was a good writer & director and Robert Tronson told me that Jim was the most talented person working at Merton Park in the late 1950s & early 1960s. Smokescreen was made at Brighton studios and I believe Jim lived in Brighton in his later years. The Hijackers made at Twickenham studios has another actor I like and that is Ronald Hines perhaps better known as a theatre actor but a well known face of the time. I hope Renown continue with their celebration of Butchers.

Any idea what happened to Farewell Performance?

apparently it has not been since its release, a real mystery itself.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    I don't think John would have enjoyed seeing that his name was not on the cover though, at least I would not if I was him.

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    name='Arfur Teacake']Any idea what happened to Farewell Performance?

apparently it has not been since its release, a real mystery itself.

I wouldn't mind seeing Farewell Performance. It seems to have disappeared completely. I have two 45's from this film. The first was by Heinz entitled 'Dreams Do Come True' and the second was by The Tornados with their instrumental 'The Ice Cream Man'. Both Heinz and The Tornados appeared in this film.

I also have the film poster (see below)