Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    On BBC2 tonight (actually very early AM Sat.....)

Look out for Mike Pratt ......

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I saw it in the cinema at the age of 19 when it was first released and I was terrified! Of course it's lost it's shock value since then but in 1965 it was considered really extreme.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I've got this film on DVD. One of my all-time favourites. The creeping suspense is superb.

For anyone watching out for Mike Pratt, try and keep count of his appearences. I think there are three. First as the road worker and then twice trying to rape Catherine Deneuve during her nightmare sequences. Mike really had a tough job in that role!

wellendcanons.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I just got this in a 3 disc Roman Polanski set which includes Repulsion, Cul-de-Sac

& Knife in The Water!

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Im not sure but some of the locations look like that around Mornington Crescent,Camden,London. Does anyone know? Yes Excellent film.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkyboots
    Im not sure but some of the locations look like that around Mornington Crescent,Camden,London. Does anyone know? Yes Excellent film.
    The IMDb lists Earl's Court, Hammersmith Bridge & South Kensington

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I clearly recall seeing this for the first time in the 80s in a really early evening slot on C4 (or possibly BBC2) about 6.30. But my other half reckons I'm delusional. Can anyone else recall an early airing of this great film at that time?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Good evening. Yes, I remember this very clearly myself as it was one of the first (if not THE first) recordings I made on my own video recorder. This was just before Christmas 1983 and part of a season called What the Censor Saw on Channel 4 (not BBC2, that was last night!). It was introduced by film historian and critic Leslie Halliwell and other films included Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, A Kind of Loving and I think Carnal Knowledge.

I love this picture, a complete contrast to the often depressing film. Wonderful to look at but with almost unbearably sad undertones ('Actors Creating Magic Together ... Then Leaving It All Behind'):

Repulsion Trio

Yvonne Furneaux, Ian Hendry and Catherine Deneuve at a pre-shooting party at Twickenham Film Studios.

The date credited is 20th August 1964. If that's right, I have yet another date for (my own) 'Sixties Diary'!

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    If that's Catherine Deneuve it's the warmest smile she has ever shown in public or on film.

Liked
    177 times
    Very innocent times compared to today. We can explore this at a more relevant thread (there should be one at 'Your Favourite British Films'), preferably after you've seen it for the first time!

Another scary colour image, on the set of Repulsion, first seen at the 'Colour vs Black & White' thread:

Is one of the men here distinguished cinematographer Gilbert Taylor?

Senior Member Country: UK Joe Fraguela's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15
    Good evening. Yes, I remember this very clearly myself as it was one of the first (if not THE first) recordings I made on my own video recorder. This was just before Christmas 1983 and part of a season called What the Censor Saw on Channel 4 (not BBC2, that was last night!). It was introduced by film historian and critic Leslie Halliwell and other films included Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, A Kind of Loving and I think Carnal Knowledge.

I love this picture, a complete contrast to the often depressing film. Wonderful to look at but with almost unbearably sad undertones ('Actors Creating Magic Together ... Then Leaving It All Behind'):

Repulsion Trio

Yvonne Furneaux, Ian Hendry and Catherine Deneuve at a pre-shooting party at Twickenham Film Studios.

The date credited is 20th August 1964. If that's right, I have yet another date for (my own) 'Sixties Diary'!

That's a lovely picture! Yvonne Furneaux was a very attractive lady indeed and none more so when she appeared in the 1959 Hammer film The Mummy

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I see a film that, quote: '..pretty well died on the night it opened and Powell's career died with it' has a showing on ITV1 tucked away at 2.20am Friday 12th February.

The quote is from the never wrong, seemingly immortal Barry Norman about, of course, Peeping Tom. So if the title is not in your collection, set your recorder and see what the fuss is about as the furore was in 1960 and reputations have been rebuilt since then and Barry Norman lists it the the RT as his film of the week in his column My Movies so the film's reputation must have been redeemed if he says so.

Interestingly, in the piece Mr Norman lists Powell's classics and did not list A Canterbury Tale there!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    An extra in the Criterion edition of Polanski's film is a documentary, made during the filming, in which Catherine Deneuve says that her character kills three people - two men and a women. In the film as we have it, she kills two men only. Presumably something was scripted but not shot, or shot and discarded. But it is hard to think of a potential female victim. The likeliest candidate seems to be the wife of Ian Hendry's character, who in the finished film is a telephone voice merely. One can imagine that, after Deneuve severs the telephone cord, the wife might come round to the flat, with fatal consquences for herself. Also, it seems a little odd that the film appears to end with the second corpse undiscovered. But perhaps it was felt that this would elicit one scream too many.

Liked
    177 times
    Hello there, Anthony. I remember you asking about the deleted scenes in The Servant as well! I didn't know about them at the time either.

Ian Hendry's girlfriend (played by Yvonne Furneaux) was Catherine Deneuve's sister in the film. I don't think she would have killed her - although there were a few hints of jeaulousy - or Helen Fraser, her friend at the salon, so that would leave their boss (Valerie Taylor), who was quite nasty towards Catherine early on and, if memory serves, isn't seen after she's given her the sack. Did the disturbed Belgian girl get her revenge, and were the scenes too gruesome?

It's hard to imagine a more savage attack than 'landlord' Patrick Wymark suffered. Maybe we'll never know, but my money's on Madame Denise being the victim.

The reviewer on this webpage is none the wiser:

Fresh from the Archives: "REPULSION" (DVD Review)

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    John Fraser who played the unfortunate suitor to Catherine Deneuve, recalls in his autobiography Close Up An Actor Telling Tales that he did not find it a particularly happy shoot due mostly to spending most of his time dead in a bathtub and the chilly nature of the French star.

As for the victims, it was men that Deneuve's character detested, I don't think any ladies were in danger and indeed a slight sapphic overtone runs through the whole movie.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I'd agree that this film has definite Sapphic tones. Carol certainly has a big problem with men - and yet, I always think of Blanche du Bois in Streetcar when she finally lapses into her catatonic state and has to rely on the kindness of strangers, or in this case her sister's boyfriend who she may hate, or may not. The first time I saw this film the rabbit was the defining image, but in subsequent viewings it is less of a horror film and more the tragedy of breakdown, fear, and insanity.

Cornershop, I love the photo of Yvonne, Ian and Catherine you posted upthread. How happy they all look!

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Baker View Post
    An extra in the Criterion edition of Polanski's film is a documentary, made during the filming, in which Catherine Deneuve says that her character kills three people - two men and a women. In the film as we have it, she kills two men only. Presumably something was scripted but not shot, or shot and discarded. But it is hard to think of a potential female victim. The likeliest candidate seems to be the wife of Ian Hendry's character, who in the finished film is a telephone voice merely. One can imagine that, after Deneuve severs the telephone cord, the wife might come round to the flat, with fatal consquences for herself. Also, it seems a little odd that the film appears to end with the second corpse undiscovered. But perhaps it was felt that this would elicit one scream too many.
    I read somewhere that it was indeed the wife of the character played by Ian Hendry and that the scene was shot but discarded. I assume the body was put in the bath alongside the first body, which would explain the close look Ian Hendry gives at seeing what is in the bath.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    55 times
    Such a good film, one I'd forgotten all about until I spotted this thread.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Missed it and its not on iplayer. Luckily local library has it (always worth checking incidentally) , so the order is in, thanks.

Liked
    7 times
    Yes - there was definitely originally supposed to be a third killing and I think the actress refused to do the scene and Polanski was going to dress in drag and be the victim!! I am not sure if the scene was actually filmed or not - you'd have to check some detailed book on the making of the film or a Polanksi biography to find out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast