Liked
    0 times
    This is a British film that i saw on TV on either channel 4(not long after channel 4 started) or BBC2..The film starts on a North Sea oil rig at the start of the oil boom.The Prime Minister is pushed of the oil rig to his death by the Minister that is next in line to be the P.M(if an accident happened to the P.M).This is made to look like an accident so no-one blames the murderer,who becomes Prime Minister..The P.M starts to give the public a greater say in running the country by sending out referendums on Parliamentary business.The public love it and want to have more of a say in how the country is run.So the P.M starts to get the public to decide more and more Parliamentary issues by referendums.All these referendums need to be delivered so the unemployed are all hired as postmen to deliver the referendums.Everyone loves the P.M.he's solved unemployment and given power to the people..Gradually,apathy sets in and the people start to moan about having to fill in more and more forms and referendums..Then the P.M sends out one last referendum to the people that says that if the people are too busy to fill in the referendums,then he would do it for them,if they'd like.The last referendum turns Britain into a Dictatorship...Thats what i remember about the film.I would love to see it again.I hope someone can tell me the name of this film.Thanks.

Liked
    0 times
    This would be 'The Rise and Rise Of Michael Rimmer' (1970) starring Peter Cook.

Liked
    0 times
    Confirmed - one of my all time favourite Britfilms!

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    A thread here but nothing at MovieGoods (I could have sworn there was):

The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks very much, Bates,Mr Cosmo and cornershop 15..I've been trying to find the name of that film for 10 years,I was starting to think i had maybe mixed up the storylines to a couple of different films in my head...Thank you all,i'm going to track it down and watch it as soon as i can,now i finally have a name to look for.

Liked
    0 times
    I've found "The Rise And Rise Of Michael Rimmer" on the web for free and have downloaded it to DVD..I'm going to buy it anyway from the shop PLAY..If anybody else is looking for the film then you should go to ******** and get it there..I had to sign up,though this was just picking a username and giving an e-mail address..I dont know how many films you get for free with them but i'm just happy to get "Michael Rimmer"..I'm going to watch it now..Thanks once again for the answer.p.s...I dont know how to mark my question as answered and would be gratefull if an administrator or someone could do that for me..

Liked
    0 times
    Colin - Glad you found it - I saw it at the Cosmo in Glasgow - but I am not sure that you should advertise download sites that seem to be operating outside the law. I also noticed the following article which indicates they may be dodgy - but maybe you can let us know about that,

Cheers

Graboid Video Reviews

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Definitely worth purchasing the DVD as it has a decent commentary with director Kevin Billington. The DVD company who released are also worth supporting for their efforts.

Liked
    0 times
    Glad to have been a help Colin132, it's a very good film. If you need to input Best answer you have to do it yourself (I think) by going to the best answer and clicking it above the info. In this case it was mine ()! It would be much appreciated as it's not very often I get an answer right before legends such as Batman, Captain Waggett, Cornershop15 etc!

Liked
    0 times
    Your the man Bates..you did answer first after all..Mr Cosmo,I watched the film last night and all was well,a good clear copy..Once i reach my 4 gb limit then i will delete graboid from my compuer with REVO uninstaller(that works on everything)after i burn the films to DVD..I have just checked the Graboid library on my computer and "Michael Rimmer" is still there so it looks like i can watch it online as many times as i want,without having to download it every time..I've been looking through the films they have available to download and apart fom 2 or 3 documentaries,there's nothing i'd like to download anyway..I scanned the "Michael Rimmer" file with Kaspersky security as soon as it was downloaded and it came up clean.Also when you download Graboid it also downloads the VLC player as well,but i'll delete this too when my limit is reached..I cant vouch for the rest of the site but if you want a good copy of "Michael Rimmer" for free then thats where it is..Thanks everyone.