Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Surely it would be a crime against humanity if the Prof wasn't played by Benedict Cumberbatch...
    Surely it will be today's equivalent of Brian Donlevy?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge View Post
    I'm sure the resulting raincoat craze would re-open cotton mills all over Lancashire

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    I'll second that

No eating, no drinking (except maybe some water on a hot day). Definitely no rustling of sweet wrappers or slurping of the last dregs of a drink sucked out with a straw or a stink of hotdogs or other fast food
    They all detract from the film for people who go to the cinema to see films

If you can't last for 90 minutes (or however long the film runs for) without popcorn, cola or whatever then you probably shouldn't be allowed out at all

Steve
    Interesting article in the Sunday Times reproduced here (outside their paywall) and discussed further

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge View Post
    Yes, an actor with elevator shoes, false teeth, corset and wig

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    Yes, an actor with elevator shoes, false teeth, corset and wig
    Chosen for his complete lack of fame in Britain

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Chosen for his complete lack of fame in Britain
    Yes and he was brought back in the same capacity for the first sequel and again in 1965 for The Curse of the Fly (where he really does look completely past it). Fortunately Hammer didn't repeat the pattern for Pit

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    DANIEL RADCLIFFE'S new flick The Woman in Black has become Britain's highest-grossing British horror film of the past 20 years, the Press Association reports.

The Hammer film, in which the Harry Potter star plays a grieving widower who travels to a remote village and stumbles upon an unforgiving ghost, has raked in more cash than many Hollywood productions shot in the UK with British talent. It has been No. 1 in Britain for the past three weeks, taking in �14.6 million ($21.6m).

Simon Oakes of Hammer said: ''The record-breaking success of The Woman in Black is an important achievement that affirms the rebirth of Hammer.'' Radcliffe next plays Allen Ginsberg in Kill Your Darlings, based on a murder by one of the American poet's friends.

Sydney Morning Herald
    1st March 2012

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    Screen Archives have just announced the release of the soundtrack on CD for the new Daniel Radcliffe film.

THE WOMAN IN BLACK -- SCREEN ARCHIVES ENTERTAINMENT

Nick

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I went to see the film this afternoon and thought it was superb. Daniel Radcliffe was very good and in a lot of ways this film reminded me of an old-fashioned star vehicle-a charismatic leading man surrounded by a top class supporting cast. I've not read the book and only have vague memories of the stage play(I saw it a good few years ago) so can't say how faithful or otherwise the film is to the original story. I went to see it with a couple of people who weren't particularly looking forward to it but they were pleasantly surprised.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    33 times
    I saw this myself a few weeks back without having any prior knowledge of the book or play (which sometimes can be pleasure as I don't sit just picking holes through the viewing) and I was impressed.
    Ratcliffe still comes over as very young but I think is starting to mature well which should help him get better roles in the future and it is always great to see so many familar faces in the supporting cast.
    The only issue it does bring up is how people have become desensitised to horror stories now as I personally did not find it scary in the slightest, but then that could be me as there were two lads sat behind us screaming like little girls at two points in the film :)

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    55 times
    I think young Mr Radcliffe will stay with us for a long time; lets hope he keeps his drinking under control and keeps on developing his skills.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Nimuae's Avatar
    Liked
    34 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_in_wales View Post
    I think young Mr Radcliffe will stay with us for a long time; lets hope he keeps his drinking under control and keeps on developing his skills.
    I think he will - both be with us for a long time and control his drinking. He had the common sense to recognise what was happening and nip it in the bud.

Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Sequel in the works. The Woman in Black: Angels of Death. Co-written by Susan Hill and set 40 years later. A couple move into Eel Marsh House. Just announced today.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kinogeek View Post
    Sequel in the works. The Woman in Black: Angels of Death. Co-written by Susan Hill and set 40 years later. A couple move into Eel Marsh House. Just announced today.
    A really bad idea IMO-Susan Hill must've have been watching 'Marchlands' after visiting the bank.

Liked
    0 times
    Been reading between the lines on some of the news sites. Seems to be suggesting that Hill has had a follow up written in novel form for some time. I initially groaned when I first read the news. Happy to see how this turns out. Excited at the potential of a follow up novel! Hope it's not Marchlands though!

Liked
    0 times
    Have to say I'm much happier now that I know Susan Hill is involved than when I first read the news. Interesting concept too I guess. How's the Woman going to react to someone trying to do happy families in Eel Marsh House!

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kinogeek View Post
    Have to say I'm much happier now that I know Susan Hill is involved than when I first read the news. Interesting concept too I guess. How's the Woman going to react to someone trying to do happy families in Eel Marsh House!
    I suppose so,but she's only co-writing and her motives have to be questioned after the many changes made to the original plot in the Hammer version.

Liked
    137 times
    I repeat my words over on The Sweeney film thread :

Oh dear, oh dear !

Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad View Post
    I suppose so,but she's only co-writing and her motives have to be questioned after the many changes made to the original plot in the Hammer version.
    I'm going to try and keep an open mind till I see it. Her other ghost stories haven't been quite in the same league as WIB so I remain to be convinced a worthwhile sequel can be made.

The Serrailler novels look set to be adapted soon so that's two franchises from her !

Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    I'm going to try and keep an open mind till I see it. Her other ghost stories haven't been quite in the same league as WIB so I remain to be convinced a worthwhile sequel can be made.

The Serrailler novels look set to be adapted soon so that's two franchises from her !
    I agree-'The Woman in Black' works well as a novella but some of Hills other ghost stories feel short of content or rushed. I've not read any of the 'Simon Serrailler' crime stories as of yet.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast