Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    As a bit of an old Mod myself (the late 70s, early 80s variety) I still love the clothes and the music. I have recently looked round at all my old Mod friends and we have all gone the same way? Hair disappearing and bellies the opposite, but that doesn't stop any of us squeezing into our Ben Shermans and Fred Perrys. Anyway to all you die hards out there I we deserve our own thread.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWn5YIDsEGw"]YouTube- Secret Affair - My World [totp2][/ame]

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Torquemada']As a bit of an old Mod myself (the late 70s, early 80s variety) I still love the clothes and the music. I have recently looked round at all my old Mod friends and we have all gone the same way? Hair disappearing and bellies the opposite, but that doesn't stop any of us squeezing into our Ben Shermans and Fred Perrys. Anyway to all you die hards out there I we deserve our own thread.

As a mod of the original 1962 variety (accept no substitutes) our hair recedes even more than yours and the bellies expand ever outwards. Unfortunately the Shermans no longr fit and the Fred Perry's are no longer 36" chest but 48"and the mohair suits are but a distant memory.

Good days though.

Liked
    67 times
    I was an original Mod in 1958/59, and was one of the first, (if not the first) Mod's living in Battersea to have a silver grey Tonik Mohair suit. I remember it was made by a Clapham Junction Tailor called Henry London. With it I usually wore striped shirts, with stiff cutaway collars, and winklepicker shoes. I went to an Italian barbers just of Oxford Street called Anselmo of Venice, once a week to have a College Boy style hair cut.

I would love to hear what other Mods wore 50 years ago.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Fascinating stuff Ray, what were you listening to in 58/9 and were where you going out to ?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain scenesixty's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    name='Ray']I was an original Mod in 1958/59, and was one of the first, (if not the first) Mod's living in Battersea to have a silver grey Tonik Mohair suit. I remember it was made by a Clapham Junction Tailor called Henry London. With it I usually wore striped shirts, with stiff cutaway collars, and winklepicker shoes. I went to an Italian barbers just of Oxford Street called Anselmo of Venice, once a week to have a College Boy style hair cut.

I would love to hear what other Mods wore 50 years ago.

Were there 'Mods' in 58/59!??....

Liked
    67 times
    name='scenesixty']Were there 'Mods' in 58/59!??....

Yes, we came right after the Teddy Boys, and we were the most stylish too, like young City Gents! Those that came later were just a pale imitation.

Liked
    67 times
    name='billy bentley']Fascinating stuff Ray, what were you listening to in 58/9 and were where you going out to ?

Well, I was working in a record shop in Charing Cross Road in 1959, so I had the opportunity to listen to all the latest hits of the time. I would sometimes go to the Wimbledon Palais, but I was more of a fashion Mod rather than going to all the typical Mod haunts. As well as going to the theatre, I also probably saw every film when it opened in the West End, it was so convenient as I worked just around the corner from Leicester Square.

Liked
    13 times
    Ray, that was what I was wondering, where there any Mod haunts in those early days ? I'm imagining perhaps there were some specific coffee bars, but wouldn't even the jazz clubs have been mostly the stronghold of the Trad/Dixieland crowd ? what if any were the exceptions ?

Liked
    67 times
    name='billy bentley']Ray, that was what I was wondering, where there any Mod haunts in those early days ? I'm imagining perhaps there were some specific coffee bars, but wouldn't even the jazz clubs have been mostly the stronghold of the Trad/Dixieland crowd ? what if any were the exceptions ?

I did used to go to a Coffee Bar in Old Compton Street, Soho, called The 2 i's. It is no longer there, but it has become famous as the place where Cliff Richard and The Shadows started, back in 1958.

There were jazz clubs like Ronnie Scott's, and The Lyceum in The Strand was a popular hangout for Mods and their girl friends.

Liked
    13 times
    The 2 I's is of course well documented , but my impression had always been that it catered for a more greasy haired skiffle/rock'n'roll crowd. Ae you saying there were mods peppered amongst this crowd ? Also were your musical tastes much the same as the 2 I's crowd ?

Liked
    0 times
    A couple of years ago I was at Stratford Upon Avon one Sunday pm on the bike(sorry) with about 2000 other people on bikes and noticed 12 mods turned up and wandered towards the tea barge on the canal.

One turns to the others and says "look out lads I think there are some bikers about"

They laughed and carried on and the rest of us smiled and carried on sipping our tea and scoffing chips.

Nice to see.

Liked
    0 times
    Those who would suggest us straplings were mere pale imitations I recall a brilliant red white and blue striped jacket I had. I loved that jacket and even wore it in Moscow in 1982. One poor chap came up to me looking completely bemused (as there were three 'colours' in Moscow at that time - black, grey and brown). This chap looked me up and down as if confronted by an alien before running away down the street occasionally looking back to check I wasn't chasing him.

Liked
    67 times
    name='billy bentley']The 2 I's is of course well documented , but my impression had always been that it catered for a more greasy haired skiffle/rock'n'roll crowd. Ae you saying there were mods peppered amongst this crowd ? Also were your musical tastes much the same as the 2 I's crowd ?

There was a real mixture of young people, although at 21, I was already older than a lot of the clientele there. As for my musical taste, well, I loved Elvis, and Eddie Cochran, but I also loved Sinatra, Dinah Washington, Della Reese and Judy Garland. Not many of them shared my taste in films or stars though, that was the time of Debbie and Eddie, Liz and Eddie, and Sandra Dee. I always loved old movies, although of course they weren't so old then.

Liked
    13 times
    Final question ray and then I'll end my interrogation (for now at least). How old were you when you embraced modernism - which I assume started out as a stylish alternative to the predominant Teddy Boy culture ?

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='Ray']There was a real mixture of young people, although at 21, I was already older than a lot of the clientele there. As for my musical taste, well, I loved Elvis, and Eddie Cochran, but I also loved Sinatra, Dinah Washington, Della Reese and Judy Garland. Not many of them shared my taste in films or stars though, that was the time of Debbie and Eddie, Liz and Eddie, and Sandra Dee. I always loved old movies, although of course they weren't so old then.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N86nxxZW6UY"]YouTube- Della Reese - Don't You Know? ("Puccini")[/ame][/QUOTE]

Liked
    67 times
    name='billy bentley']Final question ray and then I'll end my interrogation (for now at least). How old were you when you embraced modernism - which I assume started out as a stylish alternative to the predominant Teddy Boy culture ?

I was a Teddy Boy when I was 17 (1954), and I was warned that I would lose my job at Battersea Public Library if I didn't change my mode of dress, for work anyway. My mother hated the look and sold my suit as soon as I went in the army the following year. Luckily she approved of the Mod style and bought me my first Mod suit with the bum freezer jacket for my 21st birthday. I have a couple of not very clear photo's of me in my Teddy Boy suit which I can put in my album if you really want a laugh.

Sadly, I have very few photo's of my youthful fashion excesses, I have more since I became a senior citizen than I ever did 50 years ago.

Liked
    67 times
    name='Mr Sloane']

Thanks for that, I still have all my Della vinyl records, but not that one.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    You bloody ruffians caused a lot of kerfuffle in my genteel seaside town.

BTW - Best book ever published about the whole mod scene is "Mod - A very British Phenomenon" by Terry Rawlings.

"Plenty 'o liquor mate"

Liked
    13 times
    Tony, does Rawlings book cover the pre-soul/pre Guy Stevens mod scene Ray was just posting about ?

Liked
    67 times
    I suddenly recalled that the only time that a Mod has been accurately portrayed on the screen was by Jess Conrad of all people in The Boys. I am talking about his style of dress, not his behaviour. Something else that I remember is that some of the most elegant young Mods wore their best gear to work, and I am talking about butchers and greengrocers, who were really immaculate, even though they were partially covered with overalls.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast