Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Not a film but a TV drama, broadcasted just the once roughly between 1988-1994 on either BBC1, BBC2 or Granada. Plot from what I can remember, a middle-aged woman is convinced she is being stalked as she receives odd phone calls and I think she receives letters formed from cut-out newspaper headline letters etc. The woman lives alone in an old house with the very high ceilings etc.

The climax of the drama is quite disturbing as the stalker is in the house, maybe the whole way through, although i'm not sure. Anyway the last scenes of the drama show the woman walking into one the rooms in her house and the stalker is attached to the ceiling. He jumps down and then it cuts to black and ends.

Does anyone remember this? can anyone provide any additional plot info? and lastly, does anyone know what the drama is? or if it's from an series? Any info would be helpful really as I'm beginning to think that maybe I've dreamt this.

Thanks, Sal

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='SallySpandex']Not a film but a TV drama, broadcasted just the once roughly between 1988-1994 on either BBC1, BBC2 or Granada. Plot from what I can remember, a middle-aged woman is convinced she is being stalked as she receives odd phone calls and I think she receives letters formed from cut-out newspaper headline letters etc. The woman lives alone in an old house with the very high ceilings etc.

The climax of the drama is quite disturbing as the stalker is in the house, maybe the whole way through, although i'm not sure. Anyway the last scenes of the drama show the woman walking into one the rooms in her house and the stalker is attached to the ceiling. He jumps down and then it cuts to black and ends.

Does anyone remember this? can anyone provide any additional plot info? and lastly, does anyone know what the drama is? or if it's from an series? Any info would be helpful really as I'm beginning to think that maybe I've dreamt this.

Thanks, Sal

This has been mentioned on here before, so if no one pipes up just try browsing back through the threads; sorry I forget myself what the answer was.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='asiamiles']This has been mentioned on here before, so if no one pipes up just try browsing back through the threads; sorry I forget myself what the answer was.

My memory is fuzzy, but I don't think an answer was arrived at - which is a shame because it sounds great.

edit - could it be When A Stranger Calls Back? TV sequel to When A Stranger Calls. The whole thing looks to be up on Youtube but I can't check the ending right now.

Liked
    0 times
    Right, well I've found the post in question:

http://filmdope.com/forums/ca...g-watched.html

It's none of the mentioned titles however my eyes widened at the idea of it being an episode from A Touch of Frost. I don't suppose any fans of the series could name the episode that it sounds like?

Liked
    0 times
    I remember this drama quite clearly, it was not an episode of another series, and the stranger was in the house all along.

Liked
    0 times
    It's funny Sally, as ironically the first thing that came into my head after reading your query was A Touch of Frost or Ruth Rendall Mysteries! There was a 1994 episode of Frost called "Stranger in the house", but is that too obvious? Azanti is probably right in the fact that it sounds like it was a one off drama as opposed to an episode. Sounds a bit too dark for Miss Marple too

I'll rack my brains as it definitely rings a bell.

Liked
    0 times
    I remember this drama quite clearly, it was not an episode of another series, and the stranger was in the house all along.

It was definately British, in colour and very slow-moving if i remember rightly. It was was about an hour long and the suspense really built up until the jaw dropping end. I'm inclined to think it was a BBC production as I can't remember there being any ad-breaks. I just have to find out what it is, it's killing me not knowing.

Liked
    0 times
    There was a verysimilar episode, I believe, of Tales Of The Unexpected, where a blind man is stalked by a mute assassin in his own house. The blind man knows he is there and in the end trys to engage him in conversation, and at one point cooks dinner for him before pulling a gun out and trying to shoot him. It is one of the reasons I remember the one with the woman so clearly as I remember comparing the two.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    The stranger/stalker/serial-killer already being in the house is used in a few horror stories. See [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Babysitter_and_the_Man_Upstairs]The Babysitter and the Man Upstairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

As has already been said here, it was used in When a Stranger Calls and the follow-up When a Strenger Calls Back. It's also used in Wes Craven's Scream

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    I'll rack my brains as it definitely rings a bell.

Please do.

I don't suppose there's much chance of ever seeing this again anyway, even if a title can be assigned to it. It depresses the hell out me to think nuggets like this can be lost over time yet modern drivel will be around until time ends on every conceivable storage format there is.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This has echoes of "Saturday Night Thriller" A Walk in the Dark (1982), but this is from 1982 and a man is the subject of the stalker.

Liked
    0 times
    Sally, I was looking into your query the weekend and tried to locate BBC dramas/one off's between 1988-94 and there was a series of hour long thrillers/dramas on BBC2 called "Screen 2". One of them was called "He's asking for me" (1990). The description is below. It starred Maggie O'Neil and David Threlfall. Can you remember what the middle aged woman and the stalker looked like? I will keep trying as this definitely rings a bell.

"After a sheltered upbringing in St. Helena, Norah arrives in England and goes to live in London, taken under the wing of her Uncle and his business associate Andy. She works for the latter and falls in love with him, but he refuses to reciprocate her feelings. When she starts receiving a series of obscene phone calls and letters at home and work, she is determined to identify the caller, and strongly suspects Andy. "

Liked
    0 times
    Maggie O'Neill would only have been in her late 20s when that was made though. Was the heroine definitely middle aged? Thorley Walters was in He's Asking for Me too. Ring any bells?

Mal

Liked
    0 times
    Sally, I was looking into your query the weekend and tried to locate BBC dramas/one off's between 1988-94 and there was a series of hour long thrillers/dramas on BBC2 called "Screen 2". One of them was called "He's asking for me" (1990). The description is below. It starred Maggie O'Neil and David Threlfall. Can you remember what the middle aged woman and the stalker looked like? I will keep trying as this definitely rings a bell.

I'm almost certain that this isn't it. If I remember rightly, there was only the two cast members, the woman and the 'stalker'. It wasn't much of a plot to be honest, just a woman in a house thinking she was being stalked, which she was big time! There might of course have been a policeman or someone investigating that visited the house but I'm not even certain of that. Thanks for trying to locate this title though, I feel sure we'll track it down eventually.

Liked
    0 times
    Sally, you have now passed your obsession with this drama to me One of my mates said it sounds similar to a 1898 film called Hider in the house, but I explained to him that your query was definitely British, and the stalker dropped from the ceiling (his suggestion was American and the stalker dropped from the attic). If you could describe what the middle aged woman looked like (blonde, dark, fat, thin, accent etc) and the stalker, that sometimes can trigger an idea from someone on the forum. I will keep trying!

Liked
    0 times
    I assume you've worked out that Hider in the house was a 1989 film as opposed to my typing error which states 1898!

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    name='Bates']I assume you've worked out that Hider in the house was a 1989 film as opposed to my typing error which states 1898!

dammit! and to think that i've been seaching for a clip on 'youthaumatrope'!

Liked
    0 times
    Ha ha! Nice one! Yes, the famous Hider in the house - directed by the Lumiere Brothers

Liked
    0 times
    If you could describe what the middle aged woman looked like (blonde, dark, fat, thin, accent etc) and the stalker, that sometimes can trigger an idea from someone on the forum. I will keep trying

Well that's tricky as I was only about 6 or 7 when I saw this drama and everyone looks alot older when you're younger, but you know, thinking about it, I think she might have been older than I initially thought, maybe in her 50's or even 60's. I'm pretty sure she had grey hair, small in height and thin in stature. Along the lines of say Anna Massey or.. or... Edna from Emmerdale. My reason for thinking that she might be older than I previously said is the clothing she wore, it was what you might expect Annette Crosbie in One Foot in The Grave to wear i.e. cardigan, long dress etc.

And I don't think she had an accent.

As for the stalker, I'm not sure you even see his face, pretty sure he was wearing a black mask good luck tracking him down.

This is great, seriously. I emailed the BBC a few years back and they kept saying they'd look into it but after trying over and over again I eventually got no replies back, so I appreciate the effort you're putting in.

Liked
    0 times
    No problem, I know what it's like to want to find out an old film or programme from the past (especially when you can't find it)! I suppose the only thing from the lack of answers from the BBC is that it could possibly have been on ITV or Channel 4 and because of you being so young forgot there were ads in between? The actress description is a good one, and as you said it will be impossible to find an actor with a mask on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast