Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Daker

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    I thought i would start a new Thread for David Daker, an Actor who i have always liked and enjoyed watching in many TV programmes, my favourite David Daker TV roles are Captain Nathan Spiker in Dick Turpin (1979-1982) and Harry Crawford in Boon (1986-1992), there was an extra episode of Boon - Thieves Like Us not shown in 1992 that was eventually shown in 1995, Dick Turpin is one of my favourite Adventure series which also starred Richard O'Sullivan (one of my favourite Actors) as Dick Turpin and Boon is one of my all time favourite TV programmes which also starred Michael Elphick (another one of my favourite Actors) as Ken Boon (one of my favourite TV characters), other memorable David Daker TV roles included PC Culshaw in Z Cars, Irongron in the Doctor Who story The Time Warrior and Jarvis in Porridge, David Daker has also appeared in many more TV programmes (most of which i have seen) including Dixon Of Dock Green, Softly Softly Task Force, Rising Damp, All Creatures Great And Small, Doctor Who (Nightmare Of Eden), Minder, Juliet Bravo, The Gentle Touch, Only Fools And Horses, Moonfleet, Sorry, The Bill, Midsomer Murders, Ruth Rendell Mysteries, Heartbeat and The Last Detective, any other fans of this fine Actor on Brit Movie with memories to share of his many TV appearances.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    DD is from the town I grew up in - my Gran and Mum used to go to play Bingo with his Ma occasionally...

Smudge

Liked
    308 times
    A picture featuring John J. Carney as Bloodaxe, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith and David Daker as Irongron in the Doctor Who story The Time Warrior.

Liked
    308 times
    Here is the link to a site where you will find lots of interesting information about one of my all time favourite TV programmes Boon - Boon

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    It's quite difficult to think of a long running series from the seventies or eighties where David Daker didn't make an appearance. A great character actor I always thought. He popped up in a couple of different roles in When The Boat Comes In, also as a hotelier/barman in The Woman In Black, and I think he once played a relief manager at The Rovers Return in Coronation Street.

Liked
    308 times
    Some pictures of David Daker as Harry Crawford in Boon also featuring other members of the cast.

Harry with Ken Boon (Michael Elphick) and Doreen Evans (Rachel Davies)

Harry with Debbie Yates (Lesley-Anne Sharpe) Ken Boon and Rocky Cassidy (Neil Morrissey)

Harry with Helen Yeldham (Brigit Forsyth) and Ken Boon

Harry with Ken Boon, Rocky Cassidy and Alex Wilton (Saskia Wickham)

Liked
    308 times
    A picture of David Daker as Captain Nathan Spiker in Dick Turpin.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='smudge' timestamp='1266001731' post='389239']

DD is from the town I grew up in - my Gran and Mum used to go to play Bingo with his Ma occasionally...

Smudge
    Where is he from? IMDB just gives his year of birth but not the place. He had a very convincing Lancashire accent playing three different guest roles in episodes of Juliet Bravo, but his Birmingham accent sounded equally convincing in Boon.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='MartinU' timestamp='1281321244' post='462062']

Where is he from? IMDB just gives his year of birth but not the place. He had a very convincing Lancashire accent playing three different guest roles in episodes of Juliet Bravo, but his Birmingham accent sounded equally convincing in Boon.

His Birmingham accent should be convincing - he is a Bilston boy, from back in the days when we were part of good old Staffordshire...

Smudge

Liked
    7 times
    name='smudge' timestamp='1281338810' post='462098']

His Birmingham accent should be convincing - he is a Bilston boy, from back in the days when we were part of good old Staffordshire...

Smudge
    Ah, right, so it was his Lancashire accent in Juliet Bravo which was the non-native one.

I gather that he could be a bit curmudgeonly (to put it tactfully) off-screen. Someone who saw him, Michael Elphick and Liz Carling at a Children in Need event in Nottingham said that he was a bit brusque with people wanting autographs or to talk about Boon, unlike Michael and Liz, and I heard him on a chat show refer to Boon as "that crap". But on-screen, he really brought the character of Harry Crawford to life.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    name='billy farmer' timestamp='1266019128' post='389326']

A picture featuring John J. Carney as Bloodaxe, Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith and David Daker as Irongron in the Doctor Who story The Time Warrior.

Ah, yes, the quaint historical costume . . . (the two blokes in the armour look pretty good too)

Liked
    308 times
    A screencap of David Daker as Harry Crawford in the episode Box 13 (1986) from the classic ITV series Boon.

Senior Member Country: UK wellendcanons's Avatar
    Liked
    154 times
    I've just been watching David in a Thriller episode called Kill Two Birds. One of the better ones.

wec

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    I've just been watching him again as a slightly dodgy cop in Hazell and the Rubber Heel Brigade from 1978. Great also chasing Michael Caine around the underground in The Black Windmill from 1974.

Liked
    308 times
    A screencap of David Daker as Mr Brent in the episode That's My Boy (1977) from the classic Comedy series Rising Damp.

Liked
    308 times
    A TV Times listing from May 6th 1974.

Member Country: Denmark
    Liked
    1 times
    David Daker is one of my favourites, the wonderful villainous tandem of Captain Spiker and Sir John Glutton (Christopher Benjamin) in Dick Turpin was one of the delights of my childhood, and I've gotten a kick out of watching him ever since, especially when he pops up in something, I wasn't aware he was in. He always brings great presence and spice and even his smaller roles (like the mess corporal in Aces High) stick in my mind.

Another image of Spiker:

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    He always crops up in my mind in association with Coronation Street, and that was a long time ago!

Liked
    308 times
    Daily Express, January 21st 1986 - David has got that call to the bar again.

Liked
    7 times
    Apart from his long-running role as Harry Crawford, I also remember him as a convict in the pilot episode "Regan" of "The Sweeney". Regan and Carter interview him in prison because they want some information, but he is full of contempt - it's a lovely scene:

Det. Insp. Jack Regan: I'd like you to answer a few questions.

Tusser: As a general rule I don't do that kind of thing.

Det. Insp. Jack Regan: You say you get six months off for good behaviour. I'm saying "what good behaviour?". You just hit me. That means the full eighteen months plus an additional sentence for assaulting a police officer.

Tusser: I haven't hit you.

Det. Insp. Jack Regan: No, no. My sergeant's gonna hit me, but I'm gonna say you hit me.

Tusser: You'd pull that one, eh?

Det. Insp. Jack Regan: You know I would. Now you're going to give me information. I'm going to go away and check it. And if it's wrong I'm going to come back and you're going to hit me again. And you're going to get another three years.

Tusser: You bastard.

[Regan grins]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast