Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Im sure that this movie has the longest time wait for its premiere- over 40 years iirc? announcer claimed it was banned, after watching it i assumed it was because it plagiarised L and Hardy Sons of the Desert , but i've heard the ban was because it showed restless natives which might have encouraged those under imperialism to become more militant?

So does it have longest time for its premiere and why was it banned?

Any other films with long premiere times?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Old Bones Of The River is a spoof of Sanders of the River. I can find no information that it was ever banned. It's release date is listed as 1938.

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Well, there was a Michael Powell-directed advertising short for an Ex-servicemans charity that was shot in the summer of '39, there was a launch preview in the Houses of Parliament but was shelved due to the war starting.....there is no record of a public screening before what may have been its premiere in Bologna about six years ago...

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tali122
    Im sure that this movie has the longest time wait for its premiere- over 40 years iirc? announcer claimed it was banned, after watching it i assumed it was because it plagiarised L and Hardy Sons of the Desert , but i've heard the ban was because it showed restless natives which might have encouraged those under imperialism to become more militant?

It isn't he best of Hay's films IMHO but was released. Convict 99 caused some controversy over its portayal of jail reform.

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    It isn't he best of Hay's films IMHO but was released. Convict 99 caused some controversy over its portayal of jail reform.
    I'm not surprised....but it is hilarious. Underrated film IMHO.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold
    Well, there was a Michael Powell-directed advertising short for an Ex-servicemans charity that was shot in the summer of '39, there was a launch preview in the Houses of Parliament but was shelved due to the war starting.....there is no record of a public screening before what may have been its premiere in Bologna about six years ago...
    See A Film Called Smith for details of its rediscovery (by penfold) and its subsequent screening in Canterbury - the first public screening in the UK, over 60 years after it was made.

There's even a link to the charity's site where you can see it. It's interesting, but don't expect a hidden masterpiece

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Looking at the BBFC website reveals that this film was passed with cuts on 6th December 1938.It was submitted at 90mins 7 secs,The video version is 86mins 3 secs so obviously these cuts were never restored.

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by orpheum
    Looking at the BBFC website reveals that this film was passed with cuts on 6th December 1938.It was submitted at 90mins 7 secs,The video version is 86mins 3 secs so obviously these cuts were never restored.
    Allowing for a slight speed-up due to transfer speeds...25 fps instead of 24fps. It doesn't sound like much, just over 4%, and it doesn't notice when you're watching...but it makes the film about 4% shorter...your figures are not far out; I reckon you're right; there is no difference between the passed, cut, version and the video version.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tali122

I remember seeing this when it was first transmitted on TV about 12-15 years ago and the announcer did say that it had been banned. I think it was because of it's similarity to Sanders...

Liked
    0 times
    I can only reiterate that it was not banned by the BBFC.I have not read in any of the archives any evidence that this was a banned film.If there was an infringement of copyright then this would have beentaken by London Films as producers of Sanders.However as 3 years elapsed between the production of the films it is unlikely.If it did take place it has been a remarkably well kept secret

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    I too remember that there were some problems with Old Bones of the River. I do not think it was banned, but after its first release I think it was withdrawn from distribution due to objections from the Edgar Wallace estate because of the similarities with Sanders of the River.

The screening first at the NFT and then on BBC2 in the 1980s were the first time it had been seen for decades.

Liked
    0 times
    that is more likely.as edgar wallace died in 1933 the 50 year limit would have expired in 1983 after which there was little that his estate could do.Difficult to see how the showing of Old Bones would have impacted on earnings from the estate though.

Liked
    0 times
    Matinee today was Old Bones Of The River sad to say i fell asleep after 10 minutes ( i had a very busy and strenuous morning taking a gearbox out of an old lorry) that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it, the other half enjoyed it though and is slowly beginning to appreciate Will Hay who is one of my all time favourites, one comment she made though was that they would not be allowed to say some of the names they attribute to fellow cast members now,

Does she have a treat in store .