Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank war fillm

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    This one is really hazy. I saw it once on late night tv about 25 years ago!

It is about a tank during WW2 in Europe. The tank is on its own and i'm not sure whether it is German or Allied (though I vaguely remember it as German) and it is possibly either trying to get back to its own lines or defect to Allies.

I think also it is possibly pursued by another tank for most or part of the film.

Also I fancy that a star name is in the lead role - for some reason I thought it might be Richard Burton, but looking at his films there is nothing.

The film was definitely colour and probably late sixties to late seventies - possibly a European film with an American or British lead.

Sorry I have no more info. It's bugged me for a long time trying to find what it was :

Liked
    0 times
    Kelly's Heroes (1970)? It was set in WWII in France, involved German Intelligence and tanks?

Liked
    14 times
    name='Bates']Kelly's Heroes (1970)? It was set in WWII in France, involved German Intelligence and tanks?

No, afraid not. It's none of the well known films. From very hazy memory the tank features throughout most of the film (is the main story) - though maybe I remember that wrongly???

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Could be the Battle of the Last Panzer 1969, an Italian made war film with Guy Madison as an American, the tank crew are German.

Another possibilty is The Last Escape 1970, in which Stuart Whitman and Martin Jarvis!! are Allied agents in Europe, they are chased by both German tanks and a Russian tank in a large forest, this chase sequence forming most of the second half of the film.

However I have a hunch it is Wheels of Terror aka The Misfit Brigade 1987. It again featured a German tank crew this time on the Eastern Front with Bruce Davison and David Patrick Kelly amongst the crew. The headlining stars were David Carradine and Oliver Reed, although they both had little more than cameos.

Liked
    14 times
    name='WarFilmBuff']Could be the Battle of the Last Panzer 1969, an Italian made war film with Guy Madison as an American, the tank crew are German.

Another possibilty is The Last Escape 1970, in which Stuart Whitman and Martin Jarvis!! are Allied agents in Europe, they are chased by both German tanks and a Russian tank in a large forest, this chase sequence forming most of the second half of the film.

However I have a hunch it is Wheels of Terror aka The Misfit Brigade 1987. It again featured a German tank crew this time on the Eastern Front with Bruce Davison and David Patrick Kelly amongst the crew. The headlining stars were David Carradine and Oliver Reed, although they both had little more than cameos.

Yes they all sound possibles. But the last one would be too modern as I definitely saw the film on tv in the mid-eighties (albeit late night tv).

I'll check them all out on IMDB. Cheers.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    It's not ICE COLD IN ALEX is it? That's more of a truck than a tank, but you know how these memories can become confused. Also, Anthony Quayle's character Van Der Poel (South African) might explain the German reference, as he has a well dodgy accent!!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    How about this one?

LINK: The Beast of War

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    How about "Sahara" with Humphrey Bogart?

Sahara (1943/I)

Liked
    4 times
    The Richard Burton link reminds me of a film he made in 1971 called Raid on Rommel. That starts with Burton being chased in a halftrack in the desert. Raid on Rommel is a reworking of the actual footage from the 1967 film Tobruk that starred Rock Hudson.

Another maybe Victor Mature in Tank Force! AKA No Time to Die made in 1958 by Warwick films. might be a bit to old but it is about escaping tank soldiers.

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    name='WhoFan']How about "Sahara" with Humphrey Bogart?

Sahara (1943/I)

Or the remake of it - same title. Filmed in Australia starring James Belushi - That was in colour.

Liked
    14 times
    Thanks for all the suggestions. This one has bugged me for years.

All I know for sure is that it was colour, it was WW2, and it had a late sixties or seventies feel to it and a bit off centre - like a spaghetti war film.

Trouble is, though there was definitely a tank, I can't remember for sure how much of the film was about it - maybe I remember that wrong? But I remember it as being a large part of the film...

But for sure, of the hundreds of war films I have seen over the years (usually through multiple tv showings, etc) I have never seen this one again.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Could this perhaps be DEATH CHASE - a made for television movie back in the 70's, with Lloyd Bridges as a Nazi tank commander pursuing as I recall, Roy Thinnes?, as the pilot of a downed plane across the desert (i.e the light plane is mobile, and can be driven - but is unable to fly).

Cheers

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws

Liked
    0 times
    name='Stephen Laws']Could this perhaps be DEATH CHASE - a made for television movie back in the 70's, with Lloyd Bridges as a Nazi tank commander pursuing as I recall, Roy Thinnes?, as the pilot of a downed plane across the desert (i.e the light plane is mobile, and can be driven - but is unable to fly).

Cheers

Stephen Laws

The Midnight Man: The Official Website of the author Stephen Laws

Hello Stephen..hope youre well. This does sound likee Battle Of The Last Panzer, which many moons ago I distributed on 8mm for a German Compamy called Roester Films. BOTLP was a spaghetti war film and the whole of the plot was in the title ! Will try to dig out the RoaterAG. catalogue from 1982 (yep..I kept them all !) and try to tell you more.

Just checked on Imdb and it looks like the right movie...with Guy madison, as mentioned above.

Senior Member Country: UK jonpsych's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    What about "Tobruk"?

Liked
    14 times
    name='Steve Wigan']Hello Stephen..hope youre well. This does sound likee Battle Of The Last Panzer, which many moons ago I distributed on 8mm for a German Compamy called Roester Films. BOTLP was a spaghetti war film and the whole of the plot was in the title ! Will try to dig out the RoaterAG. catalogue from 1982 (yep..I kept them all !) and try to tell you more.

Just checked on Imdb and it looks like the right movie...with Guy madison, as mentioned above.

I checked out BOTLP on a few sites and it definitely ticks all the boxes. Just have to try and find a copy now!!

Liked
    0 times
    maybe Death Race aka State of Division. A crippled fighter plane is chased by acrazed panzer across the desert

Liked
    6 times
    Here you go - Battle of The Last Panzer

Belle & Blade

only on VHS but reasonably priced

Liked
    14 times
    name='sippog']Here you go - Battle of The Last Panzer

Belle & Blade

only on VHS but reasonably priced

Cheers. Thanks for the link.

Mark.

Liked
    1 times
    Battle of the Last Panzer is easy to get on various DVD sets on Ebay, it often comes with Five for Hell and the Battle of El Alamein.

I should add that the film is absolute garbage, one of the worst ever made

Paul

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='WarFilmBuff'] it often comes with Five for Hell

Now, there is a good film!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast