Not So Dusty (1956)
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello there,

Does anyone recognise this street? The main shop appears to be called 'Murfitt's' and there is clearly an 'ABC' on the same side of the street. There was also trolleybus service along the street along with service from the number 33 bus. With all that information I thought I had it nailed as Twickenham but I appear to be wrong according to a street directory from that period. Any guesses?

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    If there is a trolleybus route then it should be easier to pin point the street. Trolleybus routes hardly ever changed due to the cost of re-wiring the overhead. I'll have a look at the film again to see if i can make anything out myself

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    London Trolleybus numbers all started with 6, a bit of info on the link, the street has a look of Woolwich about it, though it could be somewhere else, Croydon maybe.

David Bradley Online - A collection of historical pictures of trolleybuses in the UK

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    just before that shot is a bus stop (and a bus on the 33) with the route numbers of 27, 33, 110 and 111. You can just make out a trolleybus in the far distance but its far too fuzzy and small to see a route number. There is trolleybus overhead in the shot. There is road signs which show A4 A315 and A314 i think. Incidentally the bus on route 33 at the stop is NLE733, this is RTL1459 which went to Sweden in 1953 and still carries its GB plate on the back.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    I maybe getting it mixed up with something else but wasn't there an 'ABC' Bakery chain in Britain from that time?..........A muted yellow coloured sign with ABC in red writing is in my head.

Can't say I've heard of this film before, but the plot looks fun, is the Bus with 111 on it an RF?........I think that was a route country-bound out of Kingston bus station, or am I thinking of 211........doh!

If it's a production of Twickenham studios and the budget was tight it's unlikely they would have gone far afield to film, so Kingston-upon-Thames is a possibility for the location.

Not So Dusty (1956)

Liked
    11 times
    Had a look at a 1955 bus map (sad but true) and I think the only place that all those bus routes ran through is Twickenham. The 111a was entended to Twickenham only on Saturday afternoon! The Trolleybus routes were the 601 and 605. Shot might have been taken on King St.

Senior Member Country: England Alan F's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Hello there,

Does anyone recognise this street? The main shop appears to be called 'Murfitt's' and there is clearly an 'ABC' on the same side of the street. There was also trolleybus service along the street along with service from the number 33 bus. With all that information I thought I had it nailed as Twickenham but I appear to be wrong according to a street directory from that period. Any guesses?

It’s Hounslow High Street. ABC was at No 84, Murfitt’s would have been 68-74. I remember the ABC but Murfitt’s was before my time, I only knew that shop as C&A and it was demolished a few years ago to make way for an access road to the new Blenheim Centre.

Liked
    0 times
    Great news. Many thanks to all and especially to Alan for knowing about Murfitts. It all fits in with the trolleybus wires and the no. 33 bus.

Many thanks,

Christopher

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Just looking at the two photographs above and doesn't the way it is now look so desolate and uninviting, sad really how progress spoils certain things especially locations.

Liked
    0 times
    Not So Dusty appears to be set in Twickenham so there's a fair chance these flats could be in Twickenham. Does anyone recognize them?

Liked
    10 times
    The road in the first picture is The Barons in Richmond. It doesn’t look as if they went too far for locations, that grey building with the blue windows is part of Twickenham Studios.

The second picture is Kelvin Drive

Liked
    10 times
    The fourth picture appears to be Gloucester Court, off Kew Road, Richmond.

Liked
    0 times
    That's great news Alan.

I must say I thought that was a dead topic after all these months. How did you ever find it?

Thanks once again.

Christopher

Liked
    10 times
    As with many of my finds, I was looking for something else at the time

The final one is Litchfield Court, Richmond.