Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    From my childhood I can remember a play about a man who suddenly decides to try and win an Olympic medal, albeit having no athletic prowess at all. He wakes every morning to the sound of the distinctive theme music from the 1964 Tokyo Olympic games. Despite being a shape totally at odds with long distance running, he maintains a strict training regime with hilarious ineptitude. In his first race (cross country) he suddenly becomes exhausted and collapses. When he does eventually finish in darkness, everyone else has gone home long ago.

I thought the lead role was played by Ken Jones and i saw that he had a credit for a play called 'The Golden Vision', part of 'the Wednesday play' series. The title sort of fitted with play and his desire to win a gold medal but i've been informed that this play is about a group of everton supporters and the famous 60s footballer Alex james.

So i'm not so sure now that Ken Jones featured in the play

If anyone does recognise this play i would be grateful for any info about it

thanks

martyn

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes - I remember this play well. It was Ken Jones and it was called "Going For Gold" but it isn't on IMDB.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Tony Pendrey']Yes - I remember this play well. It was Ken Jones and it was called "Going For Gold" but it isn't on IMDB.

Thanks to Tony's excellent memory I can confirm that it's called Go For Gold and co-starred Sheila Steafel. It was broadcast on Tuesday, Apr 03, 1973 and repeated on Tuesday, Jan 22, 1974 (just before the Commonwealth Games)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']Thanks to Tony's excellent memory I can confirm that it's called Go For Gold and co-starred Sheila Steafel. It was broadcast on Tuesday, Apr 03, 1973 and repeated on Tuesday, Jan 22, 1974 (just before the Commonwealth Games)

I was close......

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Seems quite a few people remember it -

http://filmdope.com/forums/br...seventies.html

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all your replies! I'm amazed that it was aired in 1973 i felt sure that it was late 60s - memory can trip you up sometimes. I wonder if it still exists, would like to see it again to see if it was as funny as i remember it. That said, i find anything that Ken Jones is in, funny, it's just something about his face!

thanks again!

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I too remember that wonderful classic 'Go for Gold'; made when our TV was about the best in the world. Here it was Ken's that was the pompous part for a change; he constantly banging on to office colleagues that today's athletes were no match for those of the past, particularly citing Sidney Wooderson, a great runner of the 30's and 40's as his hero. Under the natural taunts he invited he became incensed to the point of claiming that he himself could compete with today's runners, given suitable training. Suitably 'egged on', he took that very bit and set out to prove his claims by going into obsessive training. Running to work with sacks of bricks on his back and entering cross country competitions, he became totally engrossed in his odyssey. At the end, his house had become a full gymnasium, by which time he had also lost both his wife and his job. The news got around and a newspaper reporting team, calling on him to ask him his intentions, were a picture of disbelief - and showing much less respect after that - when he informed them he was going for the Munich Olympics. I'll never forget the reporter (Tony Haygarth's) face as he glanced at the photographer when told the news.
    But Ken was wonderful character actor anyway, he had it so right in his unerring mangling up of pomposity. The time he, a nobody, got elected to an exclusive golf club rather than the intended candidate, a company director, by his bumbling derailment of the blackballing process.
    Last edited by Robert Allen; 28-07-14 at 10:36 AM.