Senior Member Country: UK rose ellen's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Does anybody know where I can buy a copy of the bbc miniseries Lorna Doone which was shown in 1963.I remember watching it as a child and would love to see that version again.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Bad news I'm afraid, Rose. "All 11 episodes are missing" - lostshows.com. A lot of Jane Merrow's TV work has gone, as I reported at her thread recently. Maybe we'll get our chance in the Afterlife as it seems to be our only hope with this series.

Sorry to bring you this information.

Liked
    1 times
    Thats a shame but at least I know.Thank you for the information Cornershop.

Liked
    177 times
    Happy Birthday, Rose. I've always associated you with this particular thread. My thoughts haven't changed, I see (depending on the Afterlife)!

I hope this rare picture will rekindle your memories of the BBC's adaptation. From the 23rd July 1963 Daily Express:

As you can tell from the headline, this is actually taken from an article on Andrew Faulds the politician. The Conservatives did win that by-election, in Stratford, but the actor gave a good account of himself, finishing runner-up to Angus Maude (father of Francis). Andrew, who would soon be seen in Jason and the Argonauts, was eventually elected to Parliament in the 1966 General Election.

I've seen a few of his appearances as an actor but can still visualise him as a backbencher in the days when I used to watch Westminster Live.

Liked
    1 times
    Thank you Cqrnershop.I watched a lot of this type of thing when I was a child but Lorna Doone stands out.It is a pity it is lost.

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    I remember that serial very well,ah those Sunday afternoons, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Count of Monte Cristo etc;

Liked
    177 times
    Merry Christmas to rose ellen.

The Stage, 13th June 1963

The ill-fated series began on the 16th (Suzan Farmer's 21st birthday):

Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    The 1963 Lorna Doone was broadcast abroad, including in Australia (in 1964 on ABC and in 1966 on Channel 3, Canberra and maybe elsewhere) - and in Jamaica (in 1969, on JBC TV).

The Jamaican transmission of Lorna Doone was six years after the BBC showing of the series and was probably part of an overseas sale that was passed around the Caribbean islands that took UK television programmes. There is always the possibility that at least one episode of the eleven sold to the Australian and West Indian TV stations may survive somewhere, as may audio recordings of the episodes made by viewers in Australia and the Caribbean.

When Lorna Doone's first episode - A Boy And A Girl - was shown in Jamaica, in the same week JBC TV was showing Sherlock Holmes (1.12) - The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax, Wuthering Heights (1.2) - The First Revenge, and The Avengers (7.8) - All Done With Mirrors, amongst other imports.

In the meantime, the quickest way to get some idea of what the 1963 Lorna Doone looked like is to see the pamphlet

The Story Of The Doones in fact fiction and photographs (4/Taunton, Barnicotts, 1964) 72pp, paperback

which has 17 black & white still photographs from the BBC production, taken in the studio and on location, used to illustrate this fourth edition of a well-known booklet about the novel Lorna Doone and its background. No information at all is given about the episodes or actors shown in the photographs, although knowledge of the book, the series and actors will help with identities. Copies can be found on Amazon and eBay, at reasonable prices (eventually).

Liked
    177 times
    Happy New Year Westengland, on this last day of Christmas. Many thanks for the information. Where did you discover all that? The only evidence I've come up with, so far, of an Australian TV showing in 1964 is a listing in the Sydney Morning Herald, from 23rd August 1964.

As soon as I read your post, I ordered a copy of The Story of the Doones from Amazon (price �2.80). That was almost two weeks ago (Christmas Day) so I'm starting to fear that it will never arrive. The photo used for the cover, featuring Bill Travers and Jane Merrow, is clearly from the same shoot as the one accompanying the article I posted last time:

This should interest you:

Daily Express, 16th May 1963

ITV beaten on 'Lorna Doone'

A colour serialised version of R.D. Blackmore's "Lorna Doone". proposed by
    Granada TV, Television Wales and West, & British Lion has been abandoned.

The companies, which announced their plans last year, found last month that the
    B.B.C.was preparing a serialised version of the classic for production this summer.

Liked
    177 times
    It's okay, Westengland. The pamphlet finally arrived this afternoon (oddly enough, when Lorna Dunkley was presenting on Sky News), 17 days after I ordered it. A lovely little book with a map of Exmoor District neatly folded at the back. Excellent condition, after 50 years, so I must look after it well. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. I do hope rose ellen and sladdin can treat themselves to a copy. At the moment, Amazon have three:

Amazon Uk | The Story of the Doones in Fact, Fiction and Picture (Photographs) [Paperback]

My favourite pictures are of Bill Travers and Jane Merrow, on page 13, and Bill with a dog (39). I recognise Norman Tyrrell (p. 45) and Patrick
    Troughton (29, 49) as the only actors to get solo portraits. Jean Anderson and a young Meg Wynn Owen are very much in the distance, alas.

I managed to find an article confirming that 1964 ABC broadcast, in The Canberra Times. Apparently, Lorna Doone was replaced by another
    subsequently lost BBC series, No Cloak - No Dagger, starring Lana Morris and William Franklyn. I don't think I've come across that one before.
    Last edited by cornershop15; 11-01-14 at 06:11 PM.

Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Happy New Year to you cornershop (and everybody else). Glad you got the The Story Of The Doones... at last.

Although Patrick Troughton (Judge Jeffreys) is on p49 of TSOTD..., Norman Tyrrell (John Fry) is on p29 and the actor on p45 is Nigel Stock (Jeremy Stickles). The other photographs do allow some well-known and now not so well-known faces to be recognised, including John Bennett (Tom Faggus), p24 and Andrew Faulds (Carver Doone), p57.

The listing for the 1969 Jamaican broadcast of Lorna Doone was from a copy of the Jamaican newspaper The Gleaner available on a digitised newspaper archive section of a subscription genealogy site. The Australian information was from the Trove free site of the National Library of Australia that you probably know and use (there is a lot of listings information on UK TV programmes shown in Australia to be found in the newspapers and magazines digitised by the NLA - including many programmes unextant now ).

As I said above, some form of recording of Lorna Doone may survive, somewhere, outside the UK.
    Last edited by Westengland; 11-01-14 at 11:23 PM.

Liked
    177 times
    Westengland, my computer suddenly froze as I was replying to your post and I haven't felt like returning to it until now. Apologies for that. I wanted to point out that I'd somehow confused Norman Tyrrell with Norman Claridge when looking at that picture of Nigel Stock. Hats, as well as beards, can sometimes make it hard to recogonise usually-familiar actors. Great spot with a young John Bennett, by the way, as real-life highwayman Tom Faggus. I think he married Meg Wynn Owen in the series.

The Count of Monte Cristo was mentioned in an earlier post. Alexandra Bastedo was in that - her first role on British TV - and I'm finding it impossible to believe she's no longer with us (died last weekend). There are several threads for the also-forgotten BBC adaptation, including this one - again in the 'Looking for a Video/DVD' section:

Count Of Monte Cristo- Alan Badel

I enclose The Canberra Times article I referred to last time, dated 15th August 1964 (restored to readable quality):