Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Link:

The Spice Girls win Brits Performance of 30 Years at Brit Awards 2010

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    ? Well, it was the most memorable performance in the Brits 30 year history.

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Awards are now all about getting tv ratings for the ceremonies and not about who deserves them! See also Keira Knightley's Olivier nomination for her performance in The Misanthrope in London.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    I notice the camera focused mainly up thier skirts. Its a sad fact of life in the entertainment business that sex sells whatever your talent.

xx

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Tame stuff, especially compared to how female singers/groups present themselves nowadays. I could never understand the attraction of the Spice Girls,I think their fan base was mainly teenage girls, I mean its not like they can sing or are pretty or sophisticated or have great bodies or are sexy or anything like that, its a mystery to me that they were so successful.

Liked
    0 times
    Or lack of talent.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='Windyridge']Awards are now all about getting tv ratings for the ceremonies and not about who deserves them! See also Keira Knightley's Olivier nomination for her performance in The Misanthrope in London.

But awards have always been arbitrary:-

Elizabeth Taylor 2 Oscars

Luise Rainer 2 Oscars

Sally Field 2 Oscars

Grace Kelly

Walter Brennan 3 Oscars ( one performance)

Red Buttons

Ingrid Bergman 3 Oscars

George Arliss

Michael Douglas

Sweet Leilani winning best song over They can't take that way from me

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Mr Sloane']But awards have always been arbitrary:-

George Arliss

I know. it's an outrage that the World's Greatest Actor only won a single Oscar

Liked
    0 times
    name='christoph404']Tame stuff, especially compared to how female singers/groups present themselves nowadays. I could never understand the attraction of the Spice Girls,I think their fan base was mainly teenage girls, I mean its not like they can sing or are pretty or sophisticated or have great bodies or are sexy or anything like that, its a mystery to me that they were so successful.

Hype. Back around 1997 you couldn't put the radio or TV on or even buy a packet of crisps without seeing and hearing a mention of them.

Liked
    416 times
    Well Nelson Mandela liked the spice girls. He said it was the greatest day of his life when he met them!

xx

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']I know. it's an outrage that the World's Greatest Actor only won a single Oscar

and forgotten too.

I caused an uproar when I queried the answer Charles Laughton to the question the first British actor to win an Oscar (there was a gallon of Black Sheep at stake and very tasty it was ).

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    name='faginsgirl']I notice the camera focused mainly up thier skirts. Its a sad fact of life in the entertainment business that sex sells whatever your talent.

xx

This is sad fact of life in music nowadays, I simply detest all this female shaking their butts in music video but of course this simply takes the attention away from the fact that the song is just plain crap and sounds like a million other so called pop songs of today, also why did God above curse us with rap music, the same old same old tiresome music and videos played over and over again, thank goodness I grew up in the late 50s and 60s when REAL music played on Real instruments was king

Now, where's that bottle of Chianti?

Liked
    0 times
    name='kingbman']This is sad fact of life in music nowadays, I simply detest all this female shaking their butts in music video but of course this simply takes the attention away from the fact that the song is just plain crap and sounds like a million other so called pop songs of today, also why did God above curse us with rap music, the same old same old tiresome music and videos played over and over again, thank goodness I grew up in the late 50s and 60s when REAL music played on Real instruments was king

Now, where's that bottle of Chianti?

You lucky so and so. I wish I'd grown up then instead of the sombre 1970's and naff 1980's.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Mr Sloane'] and forgotten too.

I caused an uproar when I queried the answer Charles Laughton to the question the first British actor to win an Oscar (there was a gallon of Black Sheep at stake and very tasty it was ).

Liked
    416 times
    name='taffy1967']You lucky so and so. I wish I'd grown up then instead of the sombre 1970's and naff 1980's.

I like 80`s music. The 80`s was quite origional, Adam and the ants, Spandau ballet, Toyah etc. People with imagination, whatever you thought of thier style.

Its just a shame it went down hill after that. I can`t see any origionality anywhere today.

xx

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='taffy1967']You lucky so and so. I wish I'd grown up then instead of the sombre 1970's and naff 1980's.

Your 70s might have been sombre, but mine were great! Agree with you about the 80s .... fortunately I was too busy to really notice how naff they were at the time!

Liked
    0 times
    Well I can't really remember that much about the 1970's, although looking back I liked the Glam Rock 'Marc Bolan - T-Rex', 'Sweet' & 'Slade' stuff.

Oh and Dr Who was great throughout the 1970's too.

But once the power cuts and industrial action kicked in it wasn't so good. Although I do remember thinking it was great fun having to make do with candles and a tilly lamp instead of electricity.

Liked
    0 times
    name='faginsgirl']I like 80`s music. The 80`s was quite origional, Adam and the ants, Spandau ballet, Toyah etc. People with imagination, whatever you thought of thier style.

Its just a shame it went down hill after that. I can`t see any origionality anywhere today.

xx

Yes some of it was okay, but I think the 1960's were far more exciting and imaginative than the up itself 1980's.

But each to their own I guess.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='faginsgirl']I like 80`s music. The 80`s was quite origional, Adam and the ants, Spandau ballet, Toyah etc. People with imagination, whatever you thought of thier style.

xx

Well, not a big fan of the bands you listed, Mrs. F, but the 80s did give us The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Las, etc.

England also produced some incredible music in the early 90s imo. If you were an American college student drowning in grunge/Seattle sound, bands like Oasis, Blur, Supergrass, The Verve, Pulp, Radiohead, etc. were a breath of fresh air. Not saying they were "original," but then being influenced by great bands like the Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Small Faces, etc isn't a bad thing imo.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='taffy1967']Oh and Dr Who was great throughout the 1970's too.

Absolutely!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast