Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Looking for a copy of either of these series. It's the early 80s series with Barry Norman I need. I think there were two series of Hollywood Greats and one of British Greats.

Any help. Have lots to swap.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Do you mean Hollywood Series which was about 10-15 episodes or something ?

Barry Norman focused on subjects like 3D .

Liked
    67 times
    name='film1967']Looking for a copy of either of these series. It's the early 80s series with Barry Norman I need. I think there were two series of Hollywood Greats and one of British Greats.

I have the Barry Norman 1979 series with Judy Garland, Clark Gable, Errol Flynn, Joan Crawford, Ronald Colman, Gary Cooper, Jean Harlow, Humphrey Bogart and Edward G Robinson. There was also one programme in the series called Hollywood the Golden Years, in which stars like Joan Fontaine, Geoge Raft and Robert Montgomery reminiced about their time there. There was a later short series devoted to Bing Crosby and David Niven, which I also have.

A few years ago, Jonathan Ross revived the series and included Lauren Bacall and Lana Turner among others..

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    That must be a very rare collection, Ray, just before the VHS 'boom'. I think I can help, entirely from memory, regarding information on The British Greats. Three of the stars profiled were definitely Charles Laughton, Peter Finch and David Niven as I have a memory of each of those shows.

Elsa Lanchester, Charles Laughton's widow, talked a bit about his homosexuality and said something about actors looking into each others' eyes and implying (maybe even saying) that it was an unnatural thing for people to do in real life. I'm sure I heard her say "What sort of men look/stare into each others eyes when they're talking? Absolute nonsense!". Something like that. I think she was basically saying it was a 'gay' thing to do. This was 30 years ago but what Elsa had to say stood out from the rest of her interview and most of the others I saw at that time.

Briefly, about the other two subjects ... Peter Finch's (Jamaican) wife was interviewed, outdoors I recall, not that long after his death, so this series of The British Greats would be from the Late Seventies. However, I clearly remember that the David Niven documentary was screened AFTER his death, probably early 1984, confirming there were at least two series of this as well.

Barry Norman's final thoughts, or summary, of the actor was that he "(couldn't) think of anyone who didn't like him", which was good to hear. Unfortunately, I'm slowly being reminded that an extract of David's last interview with Michael Parkinson was shown, which I watched LIVE, and, like everyone else, believed that he appeared drunk when in reality he was showing early symptoms of the illness that killed him.

That was a crazy time, wasn't it? David Niven, Raymond Massey and Luis Bunuel all dying the same day. The BBC surely have all these profiles in the archives and I for one would love to watch them all again.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='cornershop15']That must be a very rare collection, Ray, just before the VHS 'boom'. I think I can help, entirely from memory, regarding information on The British Greats. Three of the stars profiled were definitely Charles Laughton, Peter Finch and David Niven as I have a memory of each of those shows.

Robert Donat, Jack Hawkins, Leslie Howard and Gracie Fields too

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Yes, I was thinking of Robert Donat, probably my first favourite actor after crying my way through Goodbye Mr. Chips and The Magic Box. I must have missed the documentary on him because I would have remembered something. As for the others, probably likewise, although Jack Hawkins' tearful moment in The Cruel Sea was highlighted in some programme I watched, maybe a bit later. No Dirk Bogarge or John Mills?

I have two books by Barry Norman called The Film Greats (hard and paperback), as well as Talking Pictures, which was another series he made for the BBC. And, via eBay, the book that accompanied the brilliant Hollywood series on ITV. I've got the books, but not the documentaries. Just don't see the point of these programmes being kept from the viewers who loved them first time round. 30 years is LONG ENOUGH!

Liked
    67 times
    name='cornershop15']That must be a very rare collection, Ray, just before the VHS 'boom'. I think I can help, entirely from memory, regarding information on The British Greats. Three of the stars profiled were definitely Charles Laughton, Peter Finch and David Niven as I have a memory of each of those shows.

I only wish that I had kept more of the rare programmes that I taped from 1978 when I got my first video recorder. The problem was that the price of a blank 3 hour video tape was �15.95. Hard to imagine now,when I can purchase 50 blank DVDs for �10.99.

The Charles Laughton biography that I have is definitely part of The Hollywood Greats series.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    The two superb Barry Norman series that I taped were "THe Hollywood Greats" and "The Movie Greats". They were done on betamax.

I need some techy advice on how to capture these into my Pinnacle editing software. If anyone can help out with advice on that I could help out here in return ...

name='film1967']Looking for a copy of either of these series. It's the early 80s series with Barry Norman I need. I think there were two series of Hollywood Greats and one of British Greats.