Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Director Robert Zemeckis is negotiating with British actors Cary Elwes, Dean Lennox Kelly, Peter Serafinowicz and Adam Campbell to play the Fab Four in Disney's upcoming "Yellow Submarine" remake, according to a Hollywood Reporter. The original 1968 animated classic saw a soldier named Old Fred traveling with the Beatles in yellow sub to Pepperland, where the crew bumped heads with the music-hating Blue Meanies. The computer-animated remake will feature 3D performance-capture technology that’s similar to Zemeckis’ recently released "A Christmas Carol" starring Jim Carrey. The Academy Award-winning director for "Forrest Gump" is incorporating the 16 songs from the original motion picture, including "All Together Now," "All You Need Is Love" and "With A Little Help From My Friends." Beatles tribute band The Fab Four will be motion-captured for the musical performance sequences, although they won’t actually be performing, since the original Beatles music licensed from Sony/ATV and EMI-Capitol Records will be featured in the film instead. As for the actors, Kelly, currently starring on the BBC's "Robin Hood" series, will be playing John Lennon. Serafinowicz, who starred in "Shaun of the Dead" and "Couples Retreat," portrays Paul McCartney. Elwes, who worked previously with Zemeckis on "A Christmas Carol," will play George Harrison, and Campbell, whose credits include parodies "Epic Movie" and "Date Movie," appears as Ringo Starr. It remains to be seen what the surviving two Beatles will think of the idea. None of them were too excited about the original version, after all!. (Source: NY Daily Times).

Liked
    0 times
    I love the original version, so no remake is going to eclipse that.

I also remember hearing how 'Yellow Submarine' repaired the damage that the 'Magical Mystery Tour' TV show had caused during Xmas 1967. Although I love that too.

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Yes I agree. Yellow Submarine is a great film. Very difficult to see how it will be improved upon - even with 3D effects. Magical Mystery Tour is great too - especially the songs, which probably shows the group at their musical best. That's the things about Beatles films - the soundtracks are immense. People who critisize MMT should remember its a film by a pop group, not an experienced bunch of actors. They were pretty rudderless at the time too, following the death of Brian Epstein so the film should be enjoyed in context as part of their musical development. The BBC didn't help by broadcating the black and white version on that fateful Boxing Day and not the colour film. And, whatever your view, it was only ever intended to be a bit of fun!

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Magical Mystery Tour is a great bunch of clips of the Beatles. Maybe it's not a great film (like Hard Day's Night), but nobody's obliged to watch it end to end (as you inevitably do with Hard Day's Night.)

I just wish everybody would get over themselves and let the unreleased Beatles films get a decent release with extras - before all the interviewees have passed on to the great Disc 2 in the sky.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Rowdon'] before all the interviewees have passed on to the great Disc 2 in the sky.

LOL! A brilliant line