Thread: Paying Homage

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    The TV trailers for Shutter Island appealed to something in me, as soon as I saw them. Then, last night Newsnight was extolling it's virtues and a production assistant being interviewed went into this huge rap about a scene on a spiral staircase being a homage to Red Shoes. Then they showed the scenes..... Of a woman's feet in red ballet pumps going down a spiral staicase and then some big guys in 1930's hats wearing Size 10 black Marlowe brogues, running up a spiral staircase and I began to wonder who's conning who here.....

Then I read this

What’s interesting is that in grappling with the popularization of psychology, the aftermath of the war and the Red Scare, Scorsese essentially has license to treat the material as his personal homage fest; he references everything from The Third Man to Vertigo and gives full force to the delirious color of Robert Richardson’s cinematography. In its fantastical interludes and privileging of suspense over logic, Shutter Island may be the closest Scorsese has come to the spirit of his idol Michael Powell, whose Red Shoes is evoked on more than one occasion.

Read more: Shutter Island - Film review - Time Out Chicago,

and I began to wonder if this is some new Sampling Movie-Making Technique, like the Fatboy DJ used to do........

It still looks like a good movie because I love the whole noir schtick.... I mean Hommaaage

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Martin Scorsese,I believe,was very much influenced by British film makers such as Michael Powell,David Lean and the Ealing comedies. Michael Powell was a big fan of Scorsese's Goodfellas.

The Devil's Tower sequence in Spielberg's Close Encounters Of The Third Kind was a homage to Hitchcock's Mount Rushmore sequence in North By North West. The bearded one is another US film maker grateful to the British masters of the past.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    name='Marky B']Martin Scorsese,I believe,was very much influenced by British film makers such as Michael Powell,David Lean and the Ealing comedies. Michael Powell was a big fan of Scorsese's Goodfellas.

The Devil's Tower sequence in Spielberg's Close Encounters Of The Third Kind was a homage to Hitchcock's Mount Rushmore sequence in North By North West. The bearded one is another US film maker grateful to the British masters of the past.
    I daresay everyone's an admirer of somebody but just make the movie....... All this conscious and deliberate *referencing* and marketing of those *references* is getting a trifle out of hand and becoming just another marketing smokescreen.

Is the film as good as The Red Shoes is surely more to the point....

Liked
    144 times
    name='Moor Larkin']I daresay everyone's an admirer of somebody but just make the movie....... All this conscious and deliberate *referencing* and marketing of those *references* is getting a trifle out of hand and becoming just another marketing smokescreen.

Is the film as good as The Red Shoes is surely more to the point....

I agree that the 'classic/cult film references' is also a marketing idea.