Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='torinfan']From what I've read, antidepressants have more side effects. I've never taken any prescription drugs and I didn't have anyone to go to at the time, quite possibly due to my age at the time.

Anti-depressants are no different from any other drug so will have side effects, particularly the older ones. With the more modern ones the risk aregreatly reduced. I have been on anti-depressants for years and it took a long while for me to find the one that works for me. I tried one a few years ago and it sent me completely loopy .... that was the same one that Richard Todd's son was taking when he committed suicide.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    name='batman'] I tried one a few years ago and it sent me completely loopy .... that was the same one that Richard Todd's son was taking when he committed suicide.

Yikes, that must have been scary for you.

Liked
    255 times
    name='jimw1']In My Experience.....Counselling and herbal medication seemed to be the best medicine....the Doctors were a waste of Time....and actually made things worse.....

Sorry to hear of your problems with doctors. I have worked in psychiatry and suffered from depression myself for many years and I fully agree that counselling and therapy work wonders for many people (inc me) ... however, for severe clinical depression the newer types of anti-depressants are often the only successful option. Herbal medication can work fine for mild cases and are a good supplementary medication in more severe cases, but in reality it has little impact on these severe cases. Many people forget that depression (like all mental illness) is also a physical illness and involves chemical imbalances within the brain, herbal medicines are not as successful as chemical anti-depressants in re-aligning those imbalances.

Senior Member Country: Ireland jimw1's Avatar
    Liked
    396 times
    name='batman']Sorry to hear of your problems with doctors. I have worked in psychiatry and suffered from depression myself for many years and I fully agree that counselling and therapy work wonders for many people (inc me) ... however, for severe clinical depression the newer types of anti-depressants are often the only successful option. Herbal medication can work fine for mild cases and are a good supplementary medication in more severe cases, but in reality it has little impact on these severe cases. Many people forget that depression (like all mental illness) is also a physical illness and involves chemical imbalances within the brain, herbal medicines are not as successful as chemical anti-depressants in re-aligning those imbalances.

You Obviously have much More Experience than me when it comes to Treating cases of Depression Batman'...

I have had good experiences with Doctors (the ones that understand the Illness) But there are Many GP's that dont seem to Understand......

Although I think to fully understand you have to have Bought the T Shirt........

The last Doctor I saw a few years ago was hell bent on getting me back to work in a highly stressful Customer Driven Business.....Needless to say I changed Doctors.....Probably he was the Exception and maybe your experience of GP's is a much better one............

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    seroxat made me feel like i had weights in my shoes and made me paranoid,i found that no anti-depressant worked for me longer than 6 months so i stopped taking them altogether.

Liked
    255 times
    name='jaycad']seroxat made me feel like i had weights in my shoes and made me paranoid,i found that no anti-depressant worked for me longer than 6 months so i stopped taking them altogether.

Seroxat didn't agree with me either .... the really dodgy one IMHO is Venlafaxine aka Effexor (known in 'the biz' as No Fuckin Effexor).

Liked
    255 times
    name='jimw1']You Obviously have much More Experience than me when it comes to Treating cases of Depression Batman'...

I have had good experiences with Doctors (the ones that understand the Illness) But there are Many GP's that dont seem to Understand......

Although I think to fully understand you have to have Bought the T Shirt........

The last Doctor I saw a few years ago was hell bent on getting me back to work in a highly stressful Customer Driven Business.....Needless to say I changed Doctors.....Probably he was the Exception and maybe your experience of GP's is a much better one............

I fully concur with your views on GPs and depression (and mental illness generally). Some of them have as much of clue about the issue as Scooby Doo! I am lucky to have 'inside knowledge' and also to have a GP who is really clued up on the subject. Unfortunately many people are not that lucky.

Liked
    396 times
    name='batman'] Some of them have as much of clue about the issue as Scooby Doo!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    Depression is like having visited a foreign country, in that no-one knows what it's like until they've experienced it for themselves. The sad thing is, this Government (and the one before it, and doubtless the one to follow) seems to think those of us who suffer it should be made into a scapegoat for the state of the country, rather than fessing up to their own economic inefficiencies and globalist wrongdoings.

I recently had a breakthrough, though, which has given me a different slant on things.

Although having suffered from depressive moodswings and conditions all my life, a situation which reached its nadir in late 2006 with a full breakdown, I had always believed that there was something else wrong. Fortunately, my last course of counselling and therapy finally managed to uncover that there was. Not only that, but it was more or less what I had hitherto suspected, that the depression a the symptom rather than the cause in itself.

In short, I am a sufferer of Asperger's Syndrome and OCD, and I am now proceeding towards proper treatment for both of these conditions, which are "comorbid" with each other.

I could view this in one of two ways: (1) as a negative thing, as it's always sad to find yourself wearing yet another label round your neck, especially when you thought you'd finally learnt to deal with the others, or (2) as a positive step forward, because at last, half the events of my past life seem to finally make sense and have some kind of synchronicity to them. In that regard, the disgnosis is almost a blessed relief.

Where I go from here is more uncertain, but I think I can rule out the suicide option!! One can only wish Koenig had thought the same way, but his circumstances may have been completely different to mine.

Liked
    396 times
    name='Jack Gurney'] The sad thing is, this Government (and the one before it, and doubtless the one to follow) seems to think those of us who suffer it should be made into a scapegoat for the conomic state of the country, rather than fessing up to their own economic inefficiencies and globalist wrongdoings.

Totally Agree Jack..........

Liked
    4 times
    I had to edit that post by the way, as I used 'economic' twice in the same sentence, and misspelt it once!! OCD, you see.

Liked
    0 times
    Still toughing it out unaided, also inherited here,read a lot, listened to others experiences and have changed a hell of a lot of physical things to relieve some of the burden, less self medication these days,it's a drag BUT as in mr fry's doc would i push the removal button if it existed ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12