Thread: Zodiac (1974)

Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Has anyone bought a copy?

I just about remember it and am curious, but someone's written a review on amazon (the only one) saying it's completely studio-bound which puts me off a little.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zodiac-Complete-Rodgers-Anouska-Hempel/dp/B0035HQ99G/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1267477846&sr=1-4]Zodiac - The Complete Series Anton Rodgers Anouska Hempel 1974: Amazon.co.uk: DVD[/ame]

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    I think it tells you something that only 6 episodes were made yet there are 12 signs of the Zodiac.

but it probably has a curiosity value at least?

there is a clip on Networkdvd's you tube site

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    A friend of mine showed me a bit of this and I have to say I was quite impressed, though I'll be waiting for the price to come down before I splash out on one. Not sure of the reasons behind its cancellation though...there could be any number of explanations.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    On the whole we enjoyed Zodiac, although it was a bit 'hit-and-miss' and some of the coincidences used to drive the plots were far-fetched to the point of pain! It was somewhat lacking in chemistry between its stars, we thought and had this been better the show would have benefitted a great deal.

Overall Anouska comes out of it slightly better than the late Anton Rodgers, I am sorry to say. But it's a great one for fans of the retro period (but take sunglasses for some of A's dresses!!) and a nice bit of relaxed guest-star spotting.

To use an astrological comparison, don't expect the moon and you'll end up seeing some quite entertaining stuff.

Norman Eshley is SERIOUSLY miscast in his guest role though!

Smudge

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I've watched two episodes of this and have really enjoyed it so far.

Sure, it's very retro and pure escapism, but that's part of the appeal for me.

Liked
    137 times
    name='smudge']On the whole we enjoyed Zodiac, although it was a bit 'hit-and-miss' and some of the coincidences used to drive the plots were far-fetched to the point of pain! It was somewhat lacking in chemistry between its stars, we thought and had this been better the show would have benefitted a great deal.

Overall Anouska comes out of it slightly better than the late Anton Rodgers, I am sorry to say. But it's a great one for fans of the retro period (but take sunglasses for some of A's dresses!!) and a nice bit of relaxed guest-star spotting.

To use an astrological comparison, don't expect the moon and you'll end up seeing some quite entertaining stuff.

Norman Eshley is SERIOUSLY miscast in his guest role though!

Smudge

I quite enjoyed Anoushka's dresses Good fum series.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='dpgmel']I quite enjoyed Anoushka's dresses Good fum series.

LOL - they ranged from very stylish to 'take your eye out at 300 paces!'

Such were the fashions at the time. Anton's 70s 'gear' was truly appalling in the main though - at least Anouska was well suited to some of her outfits and looked great for the most part (and sometimes stunning!)

I seem to recall one or two of her outfits had considerable splits up the side though - funny that...

Smudge

Liked
    4 times
    Don't let HER know that- she'll purchase the rights so it can't ever be shown again, like she did to the owners of TIFFANY JONES (my mate Marc actually) and BLACKSNAKE...

Liked
    137 times
    I suspect sales of this series have now rocketed

Liked
    4 times
    I wish they would, the price might drop from �22 to something sensible...when you consider I got the entire ADAM ADAMANT boxset for �8.50, plus extras, and MIDNIGHT IS A PLACE for a fiver, it's a bit of a swizz...

Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I've recently had a chance to watch the series and I recommend it mainly for the reasons that some of the other people here have already mentioned here.

Anouska Hempel was a really great looking girl back then. I'll try to do some screen grabs and post them here.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Jack Gurney' timestamp='1267641535' post='397309']

Don't let HER know that- she'll purchase the rights so it can't ever be shown again, like she did to the owners of TIFFANY JONES (my mate Marc actually) and BLACKSNAKE...

God ..ive still got Tiffany Jones on VHS somewhere. (I met Alan Curtis a couple of years back in Birmigham and forgot to ask him if he remembered the film)But Blacksnake did get a DVD release I thought? That must have been fairly recently.