Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Hi. Does anyone have a copy of the feature length Only Fools & Horses episode "A Royal Flush"?

It was originally approx 90 mins, but is since shown (and available on dvd) in a horribly edited version of 60mins.

I used to have a VHS of it, but it was copy proof and i couldn't transfer it to dvd, when my video and tapes went to make way for all disc.

Can anyone help? Thanks. Mark.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    I have the Full Version Mark PM me.

Mark below is worth making a note of....

'Please note that this DVD contains the 2004 version and is not the same as originally broadcast.'

The 1987 original was reduced to a mere 58 minutes.

Sections removed (as far as I can make out so far) include Del's running argument with the other opera goers at the theatre and large chunks of Del's final humiliation of Rodney at the Duke of Maylebury's dining table - so much so that, in places, the show lacks continuity.

I posted some OFAH information on the numerous versions that were released on DVD that were 'edited due to contractual reasons' on a thread way back and that might be of some help to you if you can find it here...

http://filmdope.com/forums/la...dits-list.html

The main reason for the discrepancies is due to the music and copyrights. When you brought the DVD, you may have failed to notice the very small message printed on the DVD case or Box. It reads “For Contractual Reasons, Certain Edits Have Been Made”. This basically means that the BBC has skimmed through the episodes individually and removed any content which would cost them extra – normally due to the music being used.

There is still no complete uncut boxset of Only Fools and Horses to be had on VHS or DVD as the only uncut/unedited versions were those that were Originally broadcasted on the BBC.

Liked
    14 times
    name='Amethyst_Isle']I have the Full Version Mark PM me.

Mark below is worth making a note of....

'Please note that this DVD contains the 2004 version and is not the same as originally broadcast.'

The 1987 original was reduced to a mere 58 minutes.

Sections removed (as far as I can make out so far) include Del's running argument with the other opera goers at the theatre and large chunks of Del's final humiliation of Rodney at the Duke of Maylebury's dining table - so much so that, in places, the show lacks continuity.

I posted some OFAH information on the numerous versions that were released on DVD that were 'edited due to contractual reasons' on a thread way back and that might be of some help to you if you can find it here...

http://filmdope.com/forums/la...dits-list.html

The main reason for the discrepancies is due to the music and copyrights. When you brought the DVD, you may have failed to notice the very small message printed on the DVD case or Box. It reads “For Contractual Reasons, Certain Edits Have Been Made”. This basically means that the BBC has skimmed through the episodes individually and removed any content which would cost them extra – normally due to the music being used.

There is still no complete uncut boxset of Only Fools and Horses to be had on VHS or DVD as the only uncut/unedited versions were those that were Originally broadcasted on the BBC.

No, I never had the dvd release of it - I won't buy it because it is the butchered version. I had the 80 minute version on VHS.

I read that though a lot of the shows have edits for music etc, this episode was butchered so that it could fit into an hour time slot (for repeat tv airings) - where as 80 minutes is difficult to fit in.

PM sent

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This is one of the few episodes that was originally broadcast without the studio audience soundtrack. The shortened vesrion has been dubbed.

I can't see any reason for the cuts other than to make fit into an hour slot.

Liked
    2 times
    Wasn't this original version released as a free DVD given out with a newspaper?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    This is very common knowledge but thought I'd mention that Sullivan wasn't happy with the way he

portrayed Del Boy in the The Royal Flush but there wan't time to re-write the dinner scenes before the

original transmission hence why it's only been shown once uncut.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='crunchie']Wasn't this original version released as a free DVD given out with a newspaper?

The usual online searches hasn't yielded such a release so looks like it hasn't.

Liked
    14 times
    name='Remy']The usual online searches hasn't yielded such a release so looks like it hasn't.

It's a shame there has been no release on dvd of the original version. As mentioned, they released it on video (which I had) but I could not transfer it to disc when I got rid of my video tapes, as it was copy proof.

I watched the butchered version once just out of interest and it was awful - jumping from scene to scene with huge amounts cut out. All continuity was lost - and anyone watching only that version must rate it as the worst episode ever as it won't make any sense to them at all.

Liked
    14 times
    name='Tony Pendrey']This is one of the few episodes that was originally broadcast without the studio audience soundtrack. The shortened vesrion has been dubbed.

I can't see any reason for the cuts other than to make fit into an hour slot.

Yes that's correct. It was shortened (butchered) to an hour so that it will fit in nicely to timing schedules - even though it is hardly ever shown anyway!!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The one which always gets my goat is Series 5. When originally broadcast all episodes of S5 ran to 35 minutes each and have never been shown in their original versions since then. They have always been shown in the 30 minute versions repeated the following years. So the cuts in the Series 5 releases are cuts made to already cut episodes! I'm so glad I recorded S5 on it's original broadcast and still have the 35 minute versions to watch!!

Liked
    6 times
    A little update on the Only Fools & Horses episode "A Royal Flush".

Having checked the version I have the R/Time is 76mins approx and not 90mins approx as listed above,therefore the 76min version is the complete episode.

Liked
    6 times
    Regarding the Only Fools & Horses episode "A Royal Flush" DVD

I never could understand why this full lengh episode was butchered as it is not down to music copyright as 99.9% of the scenes that were cut out do not have music in the scenes.

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Remy']This is very common knowledge but thought I'd mention that Sullivan wasn't happy with the way he

portrayed Del Boy in the The Royal Flush but there wan't time to re-write the dinner scenes before the

original transmission hence why it's only been shown once uncut.

I remember there was a lot of negative reaction from viewers towards this episode when it was originally screened (up till this time it was like OFAH could do no wrong). This may have further depressed Sullivan about it.

Liked
    2 times
    The full, unedited version, without the artificial laugh track, was repeated several times over the years on UK Gold - this is where my unedited VHS recording originates. Because the episode was originally shot without an audience the actors never left pauses for laughter tracks, and the overall feel of the original version is more of a drama than a sitcom - more suiting the dark undertones of Del's character. Butchering it and adding fake laughs does not really work (in my opinion).